White Sox Rule V results

ChiSox59

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Well good

My fav KAnny follow lives.

North do u have some write up of minor League phase of rule 5 eligibility somewhere?

One of our writers (Will Siskel, not me) is going to do a post on the Rule V results sometime today. Will go out over Twitter, FB and on here when it's up.

Or did you mean the rules for the draft?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
One of our writers (Will Siskel, not me) is going to do a post on the Rule V results sometime today. Will go out over Twitter, FB and on here when it's up.

Or did you mean the rules for the draft?

Yea I just meant the rules- what makes someone eligible for the minor league phase and what a team has to do with them to keep them.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Yea I just meant the rules- what makes someone eligible for the minor league phase and what a team has to do with them to keep them.

Here's what I can give you...

Teams have AAA and AA protection lists, each about 35 guys (you have to look up the exact number, it's in the 30's). So basically the team can protect about 70 guys outside their 40 man rosters from being picked up in the Rule V minor league phases. The payment for minor league phases is $12k, return cost is $4k (as opposed to the 50/25 for the MLB portion).

Basically, unless someone made a clerical error, guys who are selected in the minor league portions are outside the 40 man AND outside the next 70-80 guys in the system who are even eligible. Meaning, they are almost never worth much.

I have looked before for a good single source for those rules, but I've only found bits and pieces. If you find a good one, about the minor league phases, let me know. Also FYI, the teams do not publish those protection lists, sadly.