RACISM.IN.PDS.IS.NOT.DEAD

caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Once again, the cops shouldn't go to jail OR lose their jobs if the investigation shows that they didn't treat anyone differently while on the job, despite these text messages. This should be very easy to prove based on arrest records, violations, complaints against them, etc. In such a case, perhaps another form of punishment is in order, short of ruining their lives over being stupid. Call me crazy, but I kind of like giving people second or even third chances when it comes to them being stupid or out of touch so long as it didn't harm anyone. Perhaps some sort of counseling or community service?

HOWEVER, IF the investigation shows these texts were more than a group of guys being stupid, and they treated people of color while the job much the same as depicted in these texts, then and only then do I agree they should lose their jobs.

As for your first question...yes, I expect this of you, because you've repeatedly tried/convicted and/or fired people without allowing due process or the proper investigation to occur, and interestingly enough, you're doing it again right now. OR, I may very well be confusing you with someone else on here, and if that's the case, I apologize.

The second question is quite loaded...you don't need to know everything about a person to "know them" based on some posts here. For example, you know me well enough to know I'm an asshole, and you can tell as much based on my posts. ;)

EDIT: I've been stupid plenty of times in my life, especially when I was younger...I've said stupid things and I've done stupid things...but I was given the chance to grow up and wise up, without having my life ruined due to those stupid things. Hell, I've said plenty of stupid things right here on this message board...and depending on the reader, they could easily come to the conclusion I'm a number of terrible things...none of which are true, but I wouldn't blame them for coming to such a conclusion based on the information they have. I just wouldn't want to be convicted of any of it without them actually knowing more about me than what they read in a few posts that could easily be taken out of context.

Heres the problem...lets say theres a pattern that shows up....that theyre five times more likely to arrest or testify in a trial against minority defendants than white/caucasian.

Lets say the police force in general is three times more likely....so in their cases, theres an increase of 67%.

Who's to determine the bar/standard/benchmark that crosses the line into fireable offense territory?

Does it matter if the policed community is 12.5% African American or 33% or 50%?

Theres a clear pattern of racial profiling across the country...but when does it veer into a civil rights violation/abuse of power?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
Heres the problem...lets say theres a pattern that shows up....that theyre five times more likely to arrest or testify in a trial against minority defendants than white/caucasian.

Lets say the police force in general is three times more likely....so in their cases, theres an increase of 67%.

Who's to determine the bar/standard/benchmark that crosses the line into fireable offense territory?

Does it matter if the policed community is 12.5% African American or 33% or 50%?

Theres a clear pattern of racial profiling across the country...but when does it veer into a civil rights violation/abuse of power?

When it's disproportionate to the average of other officers on the same beat. Who's to set the benchmark for anything for that matter? We do it, so we can do it here, too.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
I wouldn't bet on it, either...but I'd prefer to let the conclusions of the investigation tell the tale versus guessing because I saw a few ignorant text messages which encompass a two minute snippet of their lives, while not knowing a single thing these guys did the other X number of years they've been alive.

Could it be they're completely ignorant racists? Absolutly. And if that's the case, make an example out of them as a warning to all others. I have no issue with this.

Could it be a few of them got caught up trying to 'fit in' with the rest of the group, had a very poor lapse in judgement and took part in the ignorance? Yes. And if this is the case, perhaps some other form of punishment, short of ruining their lives is in order.

If they're fired, their lives are absolutely destroyed. They won't find other jobs, they will be shamed endlessly, etc., so if we are to take that route, forgive me for wanting to be absolutely sure they (and their bystander families) deserve it.

All I can say is if any of you ever f*** up, you'll be praying you get someone like me to be your judge/jury, because holy hell.

2nd chances and all that stuff, i can understand the reasoning. i am a living example of that. but with PO's, and the fact they can hurt many with their decisions, if they are bad, do what is necessary. but by the law.... follow the rules, Dot the I's and Cross the T's to make sure they have no simple way to come back, thru the appeals rt.

also make sure that the action they are following is the right one, by the rules that has been already setup and by default by the law. not b/c it is a PR move. if actual rules were broken, then follow the procedure establish thru with the proper disciplinary route and process.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)

i hate to bring this up, well i lied, i feel i need to bring this up. using that broad of demographics is not the right way, the tell all way.

for me coming from the 24 and cali in chi, i am going to use the little village are for my example. if a cop is doing their job, their arrest / traffic tickets etc... will be more in the hispanic side of those stats you are providing. so where the cops are station, the area or the district they are assign will skewed those stat's up really in a 1 sided results.

statistically it is going to be extremely hard to make a case. so here is a rhetorical question, using stat will not be a proven end all and will not to be reliable, what other way can be use to find quilt.

Edited by LDF