Sox have defensive catcher in High A ball

MnSoxFan

• Though Salem catcher Hector Gimenez was crowned the Carolina League’s best defensive catcher by league managers, Winston-Salem’s Chris Stewart had thrown out a sparkling 50 percent of opposing basestealers, tops in the league. Stewart’s home-to-second times are as quick as 1.75 seconds, and he works well with pitchers.

“I think his catching and throwing skills are as good as anyone’s on the minor league level,” Winston-Salem manager Razor Shines said. “When Stewart’s catching, the running game on the opposing side is reduced to hit-and-running even with plus runners.”

• Though Salem catcher Hector Gimenez was crowned the Carolina League’s best defensive catcher by league managers, Winston-Salem’s Chris Stewart had thrown out a sparkling 50 percent of opposing basestealers, tops in the league. Stewart’s home-to-second times are as quick as 1.75 seconds, and he works well with pitchers.

“I think his catching and throwing skills are as good as anyone’s on the minor league level,” Winston-Salem manager Razor Shines said. “When Stewart’s catching, the running game on the opposing side is reduced to hit-and-running even with plus runners.”

Take these A ball ratings with a grain of salt. Carlos Lee was once voted best defensive 3rd baseman by A ball managers.

A bit of a different story with catchers tho, just look at his timings on his throws, better than most Major leaguers. I am not saying he will ever make it, cause he has not hit, but I am enthused over his D. We had a guy named Humberto Quintero last year with same kind of numbers, he just made AA all star team for Padres as Catcher for SL.

It would be nice if the Sox could develop a catcher who could hit. Olivo may be able to hit someday.

I think he will hit eventually.

He doesn't look completely lost up there, and time and experience will help him.

I'd guess around .250 with a little pop, but not much.

With what he gives behind the plate, that's plenty.

Stewart is a big kid too, about 6'4", so he should be able to take the pounding behind the plate.

Another kid they've got with a cannon arm is Gustavo Molino, he played in Bristol last year, I think he was in Kanny this year. His hitting wasn't too bad this year, not great, but not awful either.

If Sandy Alomar decided to hang them up, it looks like Michael Rivera would be the plan for backup.

Quintero had NEVER hit before this season, so it was a surprise to see him break out this season for the padres.

I've seen him play, and believe it or not, he's just as good, if not better than Olivo defensively.

But he has absolutely no power -- and I can't believe he'll hit in the big leagues (Quintero, that is).

What kind of hitter is Stewart? He's a big kid -- 6-4, 205 -- who played on the same JC team with Ryan Wing.

Rex says Quintero is the BEST defensive catcher he has seen, Olivo or not.

Stewart is a big guy, and not thin either, he looked very tough in Spring Training, sizewise. He only hit .207 in 220 or so ABs in High A ball, but he walked 27 times and only struck out 29. I like that he makes contact.

If Sandy Alomar decided to hang them up, it looks like Michael Rivera would be the plan for backup.

This begs for an obvious question..... Why, if Riviera is Plan B as you say, is Burke the one that is in the Big Leagues right now and not Riviera?? Riviera is on the 40-man and they don't call him up. This has me perplexed.

Could be lots of reasons Rex ...

Maybe they want to give Burke some service time, maybe Rivera has some aches and pains and it's better served for him to rest, ala Joe Borchard, maybe they want to give him a break before a winter ball assignment, etc.

Also, Burke has a little more versatility, he's played 3B a lot in his career and the Sox have Crede and Graff and it seems like Graff is playing just about every day anyway. So it's a little insurance for 3B perhaps.

This begs for an obvious question..... Why, if Riviera is Plan B as you say, is Burke the one that is in the Big Leagues right now and not Riviera??  Riviera is on the 40-man and they don't call him up.  This has me perplexed.

I think Burke was brought up for his bat/position. Doesn't he have decent experience at the ML level? I may be wrong. Isn't he an AAAA prospect?

A bit of a different story with catchers tho, just look at his timings on his throws, better than most Major leaguers. I am not saying he will ever make it,  cause he has not hit, but I am enthused over his D. We had a guy named Humberto Quintero last year with same kind of numbers, he just made AA all star team for Padres as Catcher for SL.

I always have felt Quintero would be one of those guys that eventually makes it up because of his defense and learns to hit around .240 or so as a platoon catcher, somewhere.

Ala a Robert Machado.

Quintero is even better than Machado defensively

Saw him pick a guy off second and first in the same inning last year.

And players around the Southern League said it wasn't the first time he did that.

I'm also puzzled by the handing of Rivera. He hit well at Charlotte. He has big-league experience. But there must be a reason Detroit and San Diego had no use for him either.