Awesome site I found

aboz56

I know that the song was a coded story about an affair that John had, but I have no idea what they interpreted it as, and I am really curious.

The so-called immorality of the song was to be found in Norwegian Wood not being a statement about interior decorating but meaning "knowing we would." John always denied that in every interview I read.

That was in the days when people were burning Beatles albums because they were so immoral.

Paul McCartney actually told that story the night he was the only guest on Jay Leno (along with his new wife).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the immortal line "how can you sleep" was written by whom for whom because of what, and what was the musical response?

how can you sleep was a bitter, bitter song by John to Paul, after the break up.

John, at the time doing heavy political songs, was angry about the trite lyrics of Paul's songs.

Paul's musical response to How Do You Sleep was Silly Love Songs.

You'd think that people

Would have had enough

Of silly love songs

I look around me and I see it isn't so

Some people wanna fill the world

With silly love songs

And what's wrong with that?

I'd like to know

'cause here I go again

I love you, I love you

I know that the song was a coded story about an affair that John had, but I have no idea what they interpreted it as, and I am really curious.

The so-called immorality of the song was to be found in Norwegian Wood not being a statement about interior decorating but meaning "knowing we would." John always denied that in every interview I read.

That was in the days when people were burning Beatles albums because they were so immoral.

Paul McCartney actually told that story the night he was the only guest on Jay Leno (along with his new wife).

I never watch Leno - I missed that!

Right now I am very, very grateful that Paul gave the same explanation as me - would be very embarrasing to ask a trivia question and have Paul tell me my answer was wrong! :lol:

And the immortal line "how can you sleep" was written by whom for whom because of what, and what was the musical response?

how can you sleep was a bitter, bitter song by John to Paul, after the break up.

John, at the time doing heavy political songs, was angry about the trite lyrics of Paul's songs.

Paul's musical response to How Do You Sleep was Silly Love Songs.

You'd think that people

Would have had enough

Of silly love songs

I look around me and I see it isn't so

Some people wanna fill the world

With silly love songs

And what's wrong with that?

I'd like to know

'cause here I go again

I love you, I love you

And for those kind of reason's I think are why I always liked Paul better. I always loved the fact that Paul given everything in the world, still aims to make others and himself happy. I respect John's song writiting and passion more than any of the Beatles, but McCartney just seems to realize the gift he has and wants to share it and make people as happy as he is.

I never watch Leno - I missed that!

Right now I am very, very grateful that Paul gave the same explanation as me - would be very embarrasing to ask a trivia question and have Paul tell me my answer was wrong! :lol:

I'm not sure I understand your explanation, but McCartney said exactly what I said. Norwiegen Wood was a story about an affair John had before he met Yoko.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation, but McCartney said exactly what I said.  Norwiegen Wood was a story about an affair John had before he met Yoko.

I don't understand half of what I say either :lol: but the two versions match enough - Paul saying it was an affair and John saying the phrase Norwegian Wood was word play and not coded language.

More trivia:

1. what did Paul consider an intentional act of sabatoge?

2. the original White albums were not entirely white covers - what was on the cover that wasn't white, only on the originals?

3. What was on the album Best of the Beatles?

4. original Ed Sullivan appearance, Beatles sang a song from a broadway show and it was...?

5. Who announced John's murder to the world, in terms of being first on the air, and on what tv show?

6. According to right wing religious idiots, what was the real meaning of the phrase "Norwegian wood"?  They were wrong of course but it was a part of their attempt to say the Beatles were an evil influence.

7.  Easy: who originally came up with the phrase Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

8. What is the musical secret of Do You want to Know a Secret?  It was written to have what, and why?

Edit to add two tough ones:

9. What is Paul's real first name, and besides John's song asking the question, how did Paul sleep according to the early fan magazines?

10.  The first Beatle to visit the United States was _____ and he visited _______ because ______.

So what were the rest of the answers CW?

1. what did Paul consider an intentional act of sabatoge? The mixing of Long and Winding Road, as it came out on album, to make it even more sweet and syrupy than it already was - that of course was the only non George Martin produced album.

2. the original White albums were not entirely white covers - what was on the cover that wasn't white, only on the originals? stamped numbers

3. What was on the album Best of the Beatles? saongs by Pete best, who was kicked off the Beatles for Ringo - a lotr of people bought it thinlking it was Beatles hits

4. original Ed Sullivan appearance, Beatles sang a song from a broadway show and it was...? Til thgere was You, by meredith Wilson, from The Music Man

5. Who announced John's murder to the world, in terms of being first on the air, and on what tv show? Coseelll, as discussed

6. According to right wing religious idiots, what was the real meaning of the phrase "Norwegian wood"? They were wrong of course but it was a part of their attempt to say the Beatles were an evil influence.

7. Easy: who originally came up with the phrase Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? Julian, John's son, and John always maintained to his death that was the origin, off a picture that Julian drew

8. What is the musical secret of Do You want to Know a Secret? It was written to have what, and why? the most limited range of notes as possible so George could have something to sing that didn't tax his limited voice at that early stage of their career - I think the entire range of the song is 6 notes, the original intent was 3 notes - or it is 3 notes total with shaps and flats included - very stressful day at work and I am remembering nothing right now - anyway, that is why the notes go up and down the way they do, to make it easy to sing too - hum it very slowly and you see the simple structure of the song

Edit to add two tough ones:

9. What is Paul's real first name, and besides John's song asking the question, how did Paul sleep according to the early fan magazines? James, and in the nude

10. The first Beatle to visit the United States was _____ and he visited _______ because ______.

George, a few months with his sister in downstate Illinois in the early 1960s, maybe 62, but I can;t remember anything right now, and damn I know the name of the town and I forget it right now as it is very stressful at work today - if he had stayed in the states, history would be altered - but he returned to England and thus was history made

Hmmm, Top 10 Beatles songs...thats is indeed a tough thing to do...I'll try to get it to 14, thats the best I can do.

14. Old Brown Shoe

13. I'm Only Sleeping.

12. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

11. I Want You (She's So Heavy)

10. You Never Give Me your Money

9. I'm Looking Through You

8. Helter Skelter

7. Dear Prudence

6. Glass Onion

5. A Day In the Life

4. Don't Let Me Down

3. Happiness is a Warm Gun

2. Rocky Raccoon

1. In My Life

That is not easy to do.

Good list, seems you love the White Album a lot.

Its funny, cause I wear my copy of The White Album Disc 1 out, but not so much the 2nd disc. Of course, my list could change in 2 months, if I get on a Revolver/Rubber Soul kick. Its just that Let it Be, Abbey Road and The White Album are what I've been listening to alot lately.

Its funny, cause I wear my copy of The White Album Disc 1 out, but not so much the 2nd disc. Of course, my list could change in 2 months, if I get on a Revolver/Rubber Soul kick. Its just that Let it Be, Abbey Road and The White Album are what I've been listening to alot lately.

I've got all of the beatles songs ever made on MP3 on a playlist and just keep them in random.

So it's conceivable that in any given day I could go from P.S. I love you to While my guitar gently weeps and back to All my loving.

The 2nd album of the White Album isn't as strong as the first, but it's got it's strong points.

Sexy Sadie.

Cry Baby Cry.

Savoy Truffle.

to name a few.

Anyone else with Beatles top 10's?  The ones were great so far.

I only had a few minutes before the end of my lunch break, but I too love the Beatles. Here're my Top Ten

10. Happy Birthday

9. Eight Days A Week

8. In My Life

7. Here Comes The Sun

6. Paperback Writer

5. Dear Prudence

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Two Of Us

2. Something

1. Tomorrow Never Knows

10. Get Back

9. I Feel Fine (opening note.........)

8. Bungalow Bill/While My Guitar Gently Weeps (two separate songs but no two songs are paired together on any album by anyone like those two songs)

7. I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

6. Help

5. Hard Days Night

4. I Want to Hold Your Hand

3. Don't Pass Me By (my best friend and I spent hours singing this song together - what a singalong song)

2. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

1. A Day in the Life

with a special nod to the Abbey Road musical montage beginning with "You Never Give Me Your Money" all the way through "the End"

Just had the "let it be" CD out.  Talk about an underrated CD.  It is awesome with lots of songs that don't get enough airplay.

Two Of Us, Across The Universe, Dig It, and One After 909 are all excellent tunes. I've got to create a tape of my favorite Beatles songs. Last time I did that was way back in college when I didn't appreciate their later stuff like I should have.

Two Of Us, Across The Universe, Dig It, and One After 909 are all excellent tunes. I've got to create a tape of my favorite Beatles songs. Last time I did that was way back in college when I didn't appreciate their later stuff like I should have.

Yeah the first songs on the album kick ass, even not including Let it Be. Two of Us is probably my fav song on there besides Let it Be. BTW, happy Birthday Bob!

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but there are multiple songs that I think are great. But, I can't hang with you guys on the Beatles trivia.

However, I would like to ask a question. This is not a trivia question. I'm asking for my own knowledge. In one song (title please) part of the lyrics are: "One Two Three Four Five Six Seven. All good children go to heaven." I was told that this refrain was actually the first time any music written in 4/7 time was ever written, recorded, produced, whatever. Is this true and is that, in fact, actually 4/7 time?

Also, have you heard there is going to be a new Beatles album released called "Let It Be Naked"? This is no joke. Supposedly, Let It Be was so dubbed and overdubbed that the band members were not very happy with it. This is supposed to have "Let It Be" as it was originally recorded in the studio, without the overdubbing. Hence, the added term "Naked".

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but there are multiple songs that I think are great.  But, I can't hang with you guys on the Beatles trivia.

However, I would like to ask a question.  This is not a trivia question.  I'm asking for my own knowledge.  In one song (title please) part of the lyrics are:  "One Two Three Four Five Six Seven.  All good children go to heaven."  I was told that this refrain was actually the first time any music written in 4/7 time was ever written, recorded, produced, whatever.  Is this true and is that, in fact, actually 4/7 time?

Also, have you heard there is going to be a new Beatles album released called "Let It Be Naked"?  This is no joke.  Supposedly, Let It Be was so dubbed and overdubbed that the band members were not very happy with it.  This is supposed to have "Let It Be" as it was originally recorded in the studio, without the overdubbing.  Hence, the added term "Naked".

Yes this is true, about "Let it Be". Supposedly they wanted to go into the studio and make an "old" Beatles album without all of the studio effects BS. But after they broke up the record company went ahead and did it anyway. I can't wait to get this CD.