What about Carson Fulmer for Ryan McMahon?

Whisox05

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
Not only that, but the Sox also need to be careful with their pitching depth going forward. They will have one spot open after this year and the hope has to be it will be for Fulmer. Danish fading last year hurt, but it was offset by EJohnson gaining steam.

The Sox have made a few trades that, in my mind, were a little strange...essentially low ceiling starter prospects for minor league relief pitchers. Generally you have a reasonable chance of turning some of these minor league starters into relievers so I'm not sure what the point was.

Still, they really haven't traded anyone that figured to be in the rotation. They may have to sign a FA starter next year...so be it.

Honestly, had the Sox traded Q for 2 young position players who could start, they would almost be in a position where they could contend with 2 signings - a)a pitcher to replace Q and b)a hitter.

Because the Sox don't want to trade any good players or sell high, they could trade their prospects..but this would also require at least supplemental FAs AND the whole scheme would be on a tight 2 year window with zero room for error...kind of what the Sox have been doing for 7 years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
The Sox have made a few trades that, in my mind, were a little strange...essentially low ceiling starter prospects for minor league relief pitchers. Generally you have a reasonable chance of turning some of these minor league starters into relievers so I'm not sure what the point was.

Still, they really haven't traded anyone that figured to be in the rotation. They may have to sign a FA starter next year...so be it.

Honestly, had the Sox traded Q for 2 young position players who could start, they would almost be in a position where they could contend with 2 signings - a)a pitcher to replace Q and b)a hitter.

Because the Sox don't want to trade any good players or sell high, they could trade their prospects..but this would also require at least supplemental FAs AND the whole scheme would be on a tight 2 year window with zero room for error...kind of what the Sox have been doing for 7 years.

The sox minor league system seems to do pretty well with pitchers. If they trade one away for a different one, I'll trust they know the strength and weaknesses of each and that they'll hit more than they miss. Hitters on the other hand, I wouldn't trust their evaluation and much.