Borchard or Reed

aboz56

Who do you think will be our everyday centerfielder next season?

I say Rowand gets an early look, with Borchard and Reed also getting a shot in spring training.

I am going to go out on a limb and say we see Borchard come out in 2004 looking good and hitting much like he did the last month of 2003, which will be much different from the Borchard we saw in the majors this year.

I think this will be an exciting competition in spring training and it's something Sox fans will have to look forward to in the offseason.

I don't think there's any chance that Reed makes the club. Borchard would have to have an outstanding spring. I hope they give the job to Rowand.

If he hits well in the AFL, he'll be given a long look.

Numbers show he's no fluke.

Hit over .400 over a full season combined in two leagues.

Can't ignore that.

If he hits well in the AFL, he'll be given a long look.

Numbers show he's no fluke.

Hit over .400 over a full season combined in two leagues.

Can't ignore that.

Actually he hit .373 combined between the two leagues, but point well made.

Sorry, you're right on that.

.373 is still excellent though.

I agree that it could be an interesting battle. Assuming that the Sox don't go out and get someone else, I see the priority list as:

1. Rowand

2. Reed

3. Borchard

The fact that Borch is not a true CF doesn't help his cause, in addition to his struggles at the plate. Reed could be one of those guys to make the jump (he has the plate discipline and is not fazed at getting behind in the count), but that is not the safe move. Rowand deserves a shot. He got a month this year and did not take advantage of it. I am not sure how much the injury had to do with his early struggles, but I believe he has redeemed himself both in performance and attitude.

I think depending on what happens over the next week to a month, the next couple years could be drastically different. Lee, Ordonez, Reed, and Konerko all could bring some good pitching in return. We will for the first time realize the loss of Kip Wells. The signing of Colon or another top flight Free Agent pitcher will be the leading indicator. With over 2 million fans, attendance should be less of the issue. I think one of the four right handed bats will be moved. I see a move along the lines of Lee for Javier Vazquez or something like that. If Colon is resigned I see Ordonez being moved for something major. More so than making the playoffs the next two week will prove the fate of 2004 and beyond.

Rowand NEEDS to be given a shot next year nad Borchard NEEDS to be up with the team next year. as far as Reed? see how he does in spring training, and based on that, leave him in AA or move him up to AAA. Rowand and Borchard should be up to start the season though.

A lot depends on this off season obviously. Everett is still a possibility for the Sox. However, Rowand or Borchard might get a try, but speedster Willie Harris better figure out how to put the bat on the ball, if he wants to play anywhere. Harris is probably a better 2B candidate, but my hope is Roberto Alomar stays with the Sox. Do you think Roberto might take Harris under his wing? Reed seems like a real exciting prospect, but the penchant has been to let the youngsters get a full exposure to the minors so AAA is most likely the place for him. A great spring training might change a lot of things though.

Rowand NEEDS to be given a shot next year nad Borchard NEEDS to be up with the team next year.  as far as Reed?  see how he does in spring training, and based on that, leave him in AA or move him up to AAA. Rowand and Borchard should be up to start the season though.

Hitting .400 in AA means you don't repeat. He'll be in AAA at the very least next year and will be knocking on everyones door early, but I doubt he'll get the starting job right out of the gates.

Rowand and Borchard will both be on the active roster, imo.

Harris or Miles will be as well. The other won't be in the organization. As far as Maggs, don't be shocked if he gets dealt along with Konerko. I think the Sox are gonna do a bit of retooling. Maggs definately won't be the one they want gone, but their is a possibility you could see him go if they can't work a long term deal cause they won't go into the season without him signed, imo.

If I ran this team, you'd see Lee, Crede, Rowand, Borchard, Olivo and Maggs as the position players that stick around. I'd move Konerko (Not because I don't like him, but because his salary is way too much, especially at this time of lower salary). YOu also have to get rid of Jose. That is a MUST in my book. Jose is not that good of a player and is incredibly one dimensional. He is a power hitter against right handed pitching. That is the only thing he can do. Show him a lefty or a curveball and your toast. You'd be just as well off with me at the plate. Another guy you'd try to move is Billy Koch (Simply because of salary again). This pen has proved that it doesn't need him. He won't be going anywhere though, unless another team who has an overpriced closer is looking to swap. This means the Sox are stuck with him one year.

In regards to Colon, you try and reup with him. If you can then you keep that rotation in tact with an in house replacement as your 5th starter. I think Bartolo has shown enough of why this team needs him. He's a freaking stud workhorse and can absolutely carry a team. He's made huge strides late in the year and is gonna win a cy young in his career and I hope its with us.

With Buehrle, you sign him now. His value is down and a 4 yr deal around 4 to 5 mill is exactly what the doctor ordered. You also offer the same for Elo. Give him less years though, probably a 2 year extension.

At 2nd and Short the Sox go on the market looking for something. If you can get ALomar at a year and 2.5 mill then you go at him. Or 2 yr 4 MILL (2 per year). Otherwise you see what else is on the market. When it comes to teh shortstop position, look long and hard at the Japanese player and if that doesn't look realistic make a big move for a young shortstop. Maybe deal with the rival Twins if Guzman doesn't get cut. Guzman would be one of my targets.

If the Sox are gonna lose Maggs, then you have Rowand/Borch and Reed for their and go with Jacque Jones or someone good in center that will be cheaper.

The payroll is definately gonna increase, but you cut Everett, Konerko, and Jose from the books and you lose 21 mill next year (Everett's doesn't really count, but based on his salary). Either way they cut 13 mill of actual payroll and then will be keeping Colon's salary close to the same (No biggie there) and Maggs goes up a bit (4 mill more; leaves you with 9 mill). Some of that money goes to Carlos who probably gets 5-6 mill a year over 3 years. That is only a two mill increase over what he currently makes so you now have 7 mill. Pay Buehrle the extra 4 mill and Elo some extra money (his option) and thne you have all those guys and roughly the same salary.

So the additions come with Alomar Jr (Not much) and minor arbitration. This leaves the money to add a little more payroll or something later in the year. AND if by some Chance Frank turns down his option, then jump for joy as you free up another 5 mill. That means that you could lose Frank, Jose, and Konerko and bring back Alomar Jr, Colon and a stud shortstop (Tejada/Matsui) and bring back Scott Sullivan.

If somehow you could dump: Jose (DON"T LET THAT OPTION VEST), PK, Thomas, and Everett then I'd be very happy.

once again, wait to see how he handles spring training.

he was only in AA for a couple months, there would be nothing wrong in keeping him there for an extra month or so, especially since they have to give both Rowand and Borchard a chance.

If Reed tears it up in spring training, play him in AAA, if not, keep him in AA. if he continues to hit like he did this year, move him up to AAA.

he was only in AA for a couple months, there would be nothing wrong in keeping him there for an extra month or so, especially since they have to give both Rowand and Borchard a chance.

If Reed tears it up in spring training, play him in AAA, if not, keep him in AA.  if he continues to hit like he did this year, move him up to AAA.

If reed tears up spring training, then I'd start him. Neither Borchard or Rowand have put up good numbers to earn the start. Now if they also have huge springs its another story.

Reed should be in AAA regardless. You can play Borchard in right with Reed in AAA. Either way Rowand/Borchard will likely be in Chicago next year.

Borchard and Rowand should be on the team next year, however, Reed should be take slowly.

he started this season in A and only had a couple months in AA. good spring or not, he shouldn't be up from the start. Rowand DESERVES first dibs at him.

NOW, if you still think Reed is your man, then you can trade Rowand, but Rowand, then Borchard deserves their shots.

while they do their thing, Reed should continue to develop and work his way up through the system.

good spring, start him in AAA

bad spring, start him in AA

either way, he should be a September callup at the least in 2004.

If Reed tears it up in spring training, play him in AAA, if not, keep him in AA.  if he continues to hit like he did this year, move him up to AAA.

If reed tears up spring training, then I'd start him. Neither Borchard or Rowand have put up good numbers to earn the start. Now if they also have huge springs its another story.

Reed should be in AAA regardless. You can play Borchard in right with Reed in AAA. Either way Rowand/Borchard will likely be in Chicago next year.

Jason, when was AaRow given a fair shake at CF, whilst being healthy? He can't justifiably lose his position without even having a shot to actually play it.

I'm also not seeing why anything is owed to Borchard. A lot of you guys have him penciled into the roster ... I don't get it. His plate discipline has gotten worse every year he's been a pro. Major league pitchers will absolutely exploit his lack of strike zone knowledge. His strikeout to walk ratio has gotten worse every single year.

Just because he got the big bonus doesn't mean he's owed anything. Sure, the Sox want to see him succeed but he's clearly not ready ... and I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever be ready.

He battled a wrist injury this year which obviously didn't help his swing but he was atrocious hitting right handed (I think .206).

I do think they should play him a ton in spring training and let the chips fall where they may. Make him earn his way onto the team via performance, and make sure he continues to deserve it.

My thoughts:

Give Rowand a chance. He is a solid outfielder, decent runner and has the potential to be a solid hitter. I think this year we got a false read on him because of the injury and I believe he pressed when getting his first opportunity. Because nobody was hitting, his flaw were magnified.

Borchard will have to show me. His strikeouts are wayyyy too high, especially right handed. His power numbers plunged in one of the easiest parks to hit in in the International League. You should improve during your second season in AAA. He declined. And the fact the Sox didn't bring him up in September tells me they have seriouis questions. I wouldn't be surprised if Borchard is dealt.

Reed needs to start in AAA. You can always bring him up if needed. He's been a pro less than two full seasons. He's obviously a strong prospect as a hitter, but he's not going to be a big power guy. Haven't seen him play so I have no idea if he can handle CF in The Show.

I, too, would love to see an upgrade at SS. Somebody with less power, but a better understanding of the value of getting on base. That's not Jose.

If Robbie takes a reasonable salary, welcome him back. But remember he's in decline. This is two straight sub-par offensive seasons.

I'd only be in favor of trading Konerko if you can get value. Makes no sense to deal the guy when his market value is low. Good chance he'd got somewhere else and hit 35 hrs and knock in 110 runs and we'd all be ripping KW for trading him.

To me signing Colon is the Number One priority. With Colon, Buehrle, Garland, Loaiza, we'd only need to find a fifth starter. Pitching would keep us compeititive == just as it did the first 3 months this year while the offense snoozed.