Sign in to follow this  
NorthSideSox72

Player-written guest post: Sam Abbott, from water polo to baseball

Our first player-written guest post of the 2018-2019 season is now up at FutureSox. Our first guest is Sam Abbott, first base prospect and 2017 draftee. Learn about just how close he was to going to college to play water polo instead of baseball, and how quickly things turned for him.

We've got a couple more articles in our Prospect Perspective series lining up for the next month or two.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoy these. I've been talking today with a player who is among the top 20 prospects in the system, who says he will write one soon as well. Plus another player I've been working on, I hope to get both in before pitchers and catchers report.

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am really hoping this kid works out.  This might be one of the best scouting and drafting stories I have heard in quite a while.

Are there any good examples of guys in the majors now who were drafted out of high school as raw athletes and struggled for a few years in rookie ball before starting to take off?  I’m quoting you, but this is a question for anyone. I only recently started following prospects and minor league affiliates, so my knowledge is limited.