FS: Zack Collins demotion a matter of circumstance

Rankin

4 hours ago, Rankin said:

Zack Collins was demoted yesterday, but there’s plenty reason to believe he’ll be back up soon. 

Here is some perspective on the move following Collins brief time in the bigs.

It should be noted that in his last 10 games in Charlotte before being called up he hit .200. So he was slumping at AAA and then got called up.  He had a real solid April but May and June ....not so much. He will be back  In fairness to the kid, 50 games in AAA is just getting your feet wet for many.  

I completely understand the circumstances behind everything but I think the Sox did the kid wrong by bringing him up and then basically not playing him. I mean is Rondon for example going to be part of the future? No. Collins could have DH'd for example. This is another rebuilding year, what did they have to lose?

Large sample size: Collins has had 1,088 at bats in the minors over a four year period with a combined .234 batting average.

He had a high OPS but that would not translate with major league pitchers.

Collins is  a pretty big dude at 6'3" and North of 220.  He  has slow reactions behind the plate .

Collins  has zero value as a DH but could be a back-up catcher for a team that needs one.   He could be a secondary piece in a trade.

• Rankin unpinned this topic