Sox Top 10 Prospects

Rex Hudler

That's not true Jim.  Every GM is very involved in the first few rounds of the draft as well as the planning of their draft strategy. 

Laumann was very involved in that process, but to try and give KW a free pass because he "is not involved" is either not true or if true, then very indicative of KW's lack of skills as a GM.

I seriously doubt Williams or most GM's see the 7-8 possible first round selections in person.

They are very involved from the monetary standpoint, to be sure.

I'd never give KW a free pass on anything ... my comment was more directed to the poster who suggested Williams was solely to blame for passing on Blanton. That's why they had a guy like Fontaine, and now Wilder. Those scouts report through to the minor league coordinator or the player personnel director.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt Williams or most GM's see the 7-8 possible first round selections in person.

They are very involved from the monetary standpoint, to be sure.

I'd never give KW a free pass on anything ... my comment was more directed to the poster who suggested Williams was solely to blame for passing on Blanton.  That's why they had a guy like Fontaine, and now Wilder.  Those scouts report through to the minor league coordinator or the player personnel director.

You are correct that they likely do not see them in person.... But the GM definitely should be involved with strategy decisions like drafting a college closer vs. a college starter.

I am not even saying the Sox were wrong by drafting Ring (although it seems that way), but KW has to be involved in evaluating the scouting reports and developing the strategy for the draft. That is where he comes in.

You are correct that they likely do not see them in person....      But the GM definitely should be involved with strategy decisions like drafting a college closer vs. a college starter. 

I am not even saying the Sox were wrong by drafting Ring (although it seems that way), but KW has to be involved in evaluating the scouting reports and developing the strategy for the draft.  That is where he comes in.

Exactly. The strategy part, i.e. do we focus on college guys vs. high school guys.

The thing is, with the White Sox, it's all about signability.

I was surprised they passed on Blanton, but I really think they wanted a closer-in-waiting, and were a bit disappointed to see Ring's velo down in the high 80's range. As such, he became trade bait.

It will be very interesting to see if Ring works out. There's a school of thought which says cut your losses. Meaning, if you're gonna make a scouting mistake, try to fix it by trading the guy while he still has perceived value.

Personally, I think Ring will get his shot and will settle into a set up role over time.

I have said that since last June.  See, we do agree on some things. ;)

We agree on lot of things Rex :D

You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this site. :headbang

You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this site

I still say he brobe his way to the top of Sox Analyst poll. :)

Hell, in the biggest showcase of his life (Futures Game at USCF), Ring gave up a couple of missiles, one for a hit and one at SS for an out, topping out at 91mph on a generous ESPN gun, and his breaking pitch while way above average was not what I was told it would be.

Unless he discovers his inner Foulke (1 in 4 chance that will happen), I don't now nor at the time think we lost a special player in him. Time will tell.

Jeff B., what are your thoughts on the Sox top 10?

How are things going for you?

My top 10 is pretty redundant with all of the previous posts. Honestly though, I feel that I can only report on the players that I have actually seen play. You would think that being in the White Sox organization you would have a chance to see everyone, but it doesn't always happen like that. Many of these young guys that were just drafted this past June or even the year before, I have never even seen! I will at least give a top 5 which will probably be of no surprise to anyone:

1.) Jeremy Reed --->Bigs in 2004 (He is for real, big time grinder)

2.) Neal Cotts ---> Bigs in 2004 (Hardest worker I've ever seen)

3.) Kris Honel ---> Bigs in 2005 (Great stuff, nasty knuckle-curve)

4.) Ryan Wing ---> Bigs in 2005-06 (3 Excellent pitches, amazing for a guy who's only been pitching for a few years!)

5.) Joe Borchard ---> Bigs in 2004 (Don't count him out yet, guy is still a stud)

** I also believe that Pacheco is right up there with these 5.

Sorry I didn't give a list for some of the other prospects, give me some time until I actually get to see them in action!

*Keep up the good work with the site!! Always fun reading your stuff!!

In all seriousness...

I know it's the Baseball America Sweepstakes....

But how some of you can rate Mcarthy, Nanita, Valido, Young, Sweeney, Anderson, etc OVER Borchard, Rauch and even Pacheco I will NEVER understand.

Sincerely yours, Perspective.

My top 10 is pretty redundant with all of the previous posts.  Honestly though, I feel that I can only report on the players that I have actually seen play.  You would think that being in the White Sox organization you would have a chance to see everyone, but it doesn't always happen like that.  Many of these young guys that were just drafted this past June or even the year before, I have never even seen!  I will at least give a top 5 which will probably be of no surprise to anyone:

1.)  Jeremy Reed --->Bigs in 2004 (He is for real, big time grinder)

2.)  Neal Cotts ---> Bigs in 2004 (Hardest worker I've ever seen)

3.)  Kris Honel --->  Bigs in 2005  (Great stuff, nasty knuckle-curve)

4.)  Ryan Wing ---> Bigs in 2005-06  (3 Excellent pitches, amazing for a guy who's only been pitching for a few years!)

5.)  Joe Borchard ---> Bigs in 2004  (Don't count him out yet, guy is still a stud)

** I also believe that Pacheco is right up there with these 5.

Sorry I didn't give a list for some of the other prospects, give me some time until I actually get to see them in action!

*Keep up the good work with the site!!  Always fun reading your stuff!!

Jeff, out of curiousity, where do you see yourself amongst the Sox talent, and how far can you project yourself? AAA? Pen in the majors? ML starter? Or if you don't feel confortable with that, give us a guy no one is talking about out of the Sox system would could surprise ala Mark Buehrle.

In all seriousness...

I know it's the Baseball America Sweepstakes....

But how some of you can rate Mcarthy, Nanita, Valido, Young, Sweeney, Anderson, etc OVER Borchard, Rauch and even Pacheco I will NEVER understand.

Sincerely yours, Perspective.

Very simply.....

Borchard's lack of performance makes it easier to look for someone else that may have more realistic potential. Rauch is borderline, but I have never truly believed his hype from the beginning. I definitely think Pacheco belongs on the list, but he came out of nowhere last year and surprised everyone. I know how BA works and don't see him getting enough respect yet, even though he deserves it.

BA's list is hype. It is speculation and heavy on high draft picks. The fact Borchard was their #1 last year will keep him on this year's list. It is not a list of which players are closest to the Majors today. It is a speculative list, kind of looking into a crystal ball, that tries to predict who will have the greatest impact (with a certain amount of hype mixed in).

Very simply..... 

Borchard's lack of performance makes it easier to look for someone else that may have more realistic potential.  Rauch is borderline, but I have never truly believed his hype from the beginning.  I definitely think Pacheco belongs on the list, but he came out of nowhere last year and surprised everyone.  I know how BA works and don't see him getting enough respect yet, even though he deserves it. 

BA's list is hype.  It is speculation and heavy on high draft picks.  The fact Borchard was their #1 last year will keep him on this year's list.  It is not a list of which players are closest to the Majors today.  It is a speculative list, kind of looking into a crystal ball, that tries to predict who will have the greatest impact (with a certain amount of hype mixed in).

I guess me and Baseball America have different ideas of what the 2004 list should.

I think 2 out of Borchard, Rauch, Pacheco, Munoz have a fairly high chance of contributing on the ML level as early as 2004. Going by combinaton of talent and polish here.

Whereas out of Young, Nanita, Sweeney, Anderson, Valido, Mcarthy, Bounds, King.....2 will be lucky to be on 2006 roster.

I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

I guess me and Baseball America have different ideas of what the 2004 list should. 

I think 2 out of Borchard, Rauch, Pacheco, Munoz have a fairly high chance of contributing on the ML level as early as 2004.    Going by combinaton of talent and polish here. 

Whereas out of Young, Nanita, Sweeney, Anderson, Valido, Mcarthy, Bounds, King.....2 will be lucky to be on 2006 roster.

I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

I don't think anyone is saying you are wrong. Like you said, you have a different view of the list than BA. My view is probably somewhere between yours and BA's. I find nothing wrong your thoughts about Borchard, Rauch, etc. In fact, I hope I am wrong on Rauch. I definitely think Pacheco belongs, but I don't think he will get the proper respect since he came out of nowhere this year. If he does it again this year, you can bet he'll be near the top in 2005.

I have made it a challenge with several friends over the years to predict BA's list, hence starting the thread here. I have come as close to getting 9 out of 10 right in the past, though I am usually good for 8 of 10.

Well I don't think Clint King makes anyones top 10 (Thats not me saying he won't be good, but he won't be slotted that high). I will say this, the Sox have a lot of guys in the organization that probably won't make the top 20 this year or even top 30, but they have very high ceilings and with production and development they'll really shoot up the charts.

I know futuresox's top 50 will probably look a whole lot different then last years, but more specifically I think some guys will be slotted a lot different then BA's.

We just finalized our entire order and it was really difficult, but what I realized is guys in lower levels always have more potential, simply because they haven't had the time to prove themselves. Once they are in the system a year or two they either prove whether they are for real and when they aren't. Of course I think the lower levels look very strong right now and as next season starts I have noticed a few guys that I'm going to list as sleepers in an article in a few weeks.

I think 2 out of Borchard, Rauch, Pacheco, Munoz have a fairly high chance of contributing on the ML level as early as 2004.    Going by combinaton of talent and polish here. 

I would just take a shot and say Munoz is the only one I see making any ML apperance based on his age and where he is right now. (AAA-21 yrs. old) The other is up for grabs.

Maybe because Sweeney and Valido won't make it till 2007 or 2008. :bang

Jeff, out of curiousity, where do you see yourself amongst the Sox talent, and how far can you project yourself?  AAA?  Pen in the majors?  ML starter?  Or if you don't feel confortable with that, give us a guy no one is talking about out of the Sox system would could surprise ala Mark Buehrle.

Honestly, I would not be playing this game still if I didn't believe I could make the big leagues. I see myself as a reliever with some major league team (hopefully the Sox). Most likely a set up type guy. I just need to stay healthy and put up solid and consistent numbers. As for this year, I feel I should start in AAA, but of course I can't rule anything out. I'll just work my ass off in spring training and see what happens.

Oh yeah, and a guy that will surprise you...I'm not trying to stroke his ego when I say this, but Bullard. I think he will definitely surprise some people, maybe not on this site, but at least the higher ups in the organization will be surprised at how nasty he is. Later. JBaj

Jeff, I agree that you have a definite chance to play in the Majors. There is no doubt you were the best reliever on the Barons staff last year throughout the year. If they didn't hang you with that 8-run disaster, your numbers would have been mind-boggling.

Keep plugging away and never take anything for granted. There are lots of RH relievers with similar stuff. Performing at the right level at the right time may just be what gets you that break.

I wish you the best of luck in Charlotte this year. And by the way.........

Go LSU! ;)

Honestly, I would not be playing this game still if I didn't believe I could make the big leagues.  I see myself as a reliever with some major league team (hopefully the Sox).  Most likely a set up type guy.  I just need to stay healthy and put up solid and consistent numbers.  As for this year, I feel I should start in AAA, but of course I can't rule anything out.  I'll just work my ass off in spring training and see what happens. 

Oh yeah, and a guy that will surprise you...I'm not trying to stroke his ego when I say this, but Bullard.  I think he will definitely surprise some people, maybe not on this site, but at least the higher ups in the organization will be surprised at how nasty he is. Later. JBaj

Hey Baj, you know we'll be pulling for ya.

In your opinion what is the one part of your game that you feel is your strongest asset and which do you think is your weakest.

And as far as Bullard goes, I think this could be a big time year for him. The Sox obviously have their lefties set up this year, but after this, you have Wunsch who will probably be let go and then the Sox will have Marte and Munoz, assuming Arnie is the real deal which will open up a slot for a lefty next year.

Considering how Jim could fit in as a sport starter, lefty reliever in the pen, it could give him a nose up on what looks to be his other competitor, Dave Sanders.

So are ya getting excited for Arizona Baj? :headbang

Honestly, I would not be playing this game still if I didn't believe I could make the big leagues.  I see myself as a reliever with some major league team (hopefully the Sox).  Most likely a set up type guy.  I just need to stay healthy and put up solid and consistent numbers.  As for this year, I feel I should start in AAA, but of course I can't rule anything out.  I'll just work my ass off in spring training and see what happens. 

Oh yeah, and a guy that will surprise you...I'm not trying to stroke his ego when I say this, but Bullard.  I think he will definitely surprise some people, maybe not on this site, but at least the higher ups in the organization will be surprised at how nasty he is. Later. JBaj

Thanks for the answer. Good luck to ya in the Spring if we don't hear from you sooner. Same to Neal, Bull, and any of our other guys if they read this!!! :headbang :cheers

Jeff:

I've been a Chisox fan for a long time, and I like to follow the progress of certain players through the organization. I have been interested in your career since I read your scouting report in the BA Top 30 Prospect Handbook a coupla years ago.

My favorite type of baseball player is a hard-throwing pitcher, thus the interest in you.

Please answer a question for me if you can: It seems we've seen a lot of pitchers come up from our farm system with the reputation of being mid to hi 90's guys, and then we see them top out in the lo 90's in the majors. My question: How often is a pitcher's velocity talked about and addressed during his minor league career, and how much emphasis is placed on it?

And I hope to see you in the bigs soon (in a Sox uni of course)