Go Twins and Indians

GoSox05

QUOTE(OldRetiredGuy @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
When the Sox clinch the division, then start thinking about matchups. Until then, it is always best to keep a good team down. The Twins are a good team.

Santana looked very good last night, and his numbers are very similar to what they were last year, when he ran of a record of 11-0 the rest of the season.

I can understand when people say, if we can't get past Oak. we don't deserve to go any further, or that you can't back door your way to the WS.

BUT, we don't play well against Oak, facts are facts.

We play the Twins 7 times in the last 2 weeks of the season. If we've already clinched, then I say why not 'help' ;) the Twins beat out the A's for the wildcard slot? It's just one more luxury of having a big lead in the division, the Sox can almost choose who to play, or not play in the playoffs.

Santana looked very good last night, and his numbers are very similar to what they were last year, when he ran of a record of 11-0 the rest of the season.

This is not last year's Twins team.

Twins Jul 05 .258/.719 vs Opponents .279/.748

Twins Jul 04 .271/.770 vs Opponents .234/.650

Compare to CWS:

CWS Jul 05 .270/.758 vs Opponents .276/.782

CWS Jul 04 .226/.669 vs Opponents .264/.764

They are pitching no better than us right now but we are starting to come around hitting wise where they have slumped.

Now let's look at the hotest team in MLB:

OAK Jul 05 .282/.799 vs Opponents .244/.693

OAK Jul 04 .281/.827 vs Opponents .255/.763

Never doubt Beane magic ;)

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
All of that is factored in to the 4 yr avg's.  All things considered the only way we can lose the division is if Minny at least splits with Oak & Bos, dominates us, & wins every series they play.

Sorry Juggs, but your nuts. I've seen it happen too many times.

51 Dodgers

64 Phillies

69 Cubs

78 Red Sox

ALL lost large leads late in the year. That lead can be gone by August 15th.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Twins win, lead is 11 games.  I seriously can't understand the belief here that the Sox have locked up a spot in the division.

And I don't understand how people can be worried. The Sox have it as good as it gets at the end of July. I couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Twins but I would like to see Cleveland take the wild card to get the AL Central some respect as a tough division. I also have memories of Cleveland as a worthy rival in the mid-nineties, where as the Twins as a rivals are more like gnats that won't go away.

QUOTE(My Left White Sock @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 04:25 AM)
And I don't understand how people can be worried.  The Sox have it as good as it gets at the end of July.  I couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Twins but I would like to see Cleveland take the wild card to get the AL Central some respect as a tough division.  I also have memories of Cleveland as a worthy rival in the mid-nineties, where as the Twins as a rivals are more like gnats that won't go away.

If Cleveland wins the WC that means the Sox would have to win the the division winner from either the Eas or West.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
If Cleveland wins the WC that means the Sox would have to win the the division winner from either the Eas or West.

Among the playoff contenders theres no matchup I find particularly favorable or unfavorable to the Sox. Plus who I cheer for does not have any practical effect on the world so it doesn't matter anyway.

Actually I do kind of fear a Red Sox team with a healthy Schilling but I'm not sure we'll see a healthy Schilling this season.

Edited by My Left White Sock

If I understand it correctly, the WS can not play their own division in the first round, and if the Twins/Indians made the wild card and the Sox have the best record, they would default to playing the division winner with the worst record, which as of today would be the BoSox.

I do NOT want the A's to make the playoff's, but then again, Billyball does not seem to go far inthe playoff's.

Compliments of the NYY$'s the MN is now 51. Which means the Twins have to

dominate us, at least split with teams having a better record that their's, & go 23-9 for the remainder of their schedule. The odds of them doing are greater than what the Mets had to do to overtake the 69 Cubs.

If you are still a non-believer I am working on the White Sox record in errorless ball games. If that doesn't convince you nothing will.

The 2005 Chicago White Sox are 65-35. As you know many of the 35 L's are close games. Of the 35 L's, 23 came at the expense of at least 1 fielding error.

The remaining 12 L's break down as follows:

2 vs DET,2 vs CHC,1 vs ANA,2 vs TEX,1 vs SDP,1 vs AZD,2 vs OAK,1 vs BOS

All teams that were playing > .500 at the time we played them.

The same can not be said for the '69 Cubs. The only thing that can derail the White Sox are things they can't control like injuries.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT