American Idol

retro1983hat

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
He supposedly disclosed this to the producers before he auditioned. So what's the real story?

I read a story about it and no one really knows. It seems that Idol producers don't know. Apparently, extensive background checks are done on each contestant by Fox and they have the right to nix someone. Supposedly this happened in this case.

Weird stuff

[quote name='Rex Hudler' date='Feb 12, 2007 -> 04:42 AM' post='135346

edit: Does anyone know the story about how/why Brian Dunkleman didn't come back for Season Two?

i remember on Howard Stern a few years ago Dunkleman was and and talked about it. If i remember correctly he said something like he was calling the producers trying to find out about season two schedule and they kept telling him "We'll let you know". About 3 weeks into filming, Dunkelman found out they started without him. I guess at first, he and Seacrest only signed 1 year deals so they had no problem letting him go.

From what little I have seen on the Rewinds, I think it's fairly obvious why he never came back. Seacrest does both of their jobs, and his a lot more likable. Dunkleman always look uncomfortable, whereas Seacrest has a very natural style, and a great raport with the contestants. He really comes across as to actually being close to them, though there is probably no chance he speaks to them off camera.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
I am guessing the Hollywood round is typically the lowest rated part of the show. They moved through that really quick last night.

Cat Fight girl is still in though.

I read they usually take 2 hours to show what they showed in 1 hour last night. I guess that meant a lot less sniping.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I like the Hollywood part the most, usually. It shows you pretty good what the personalities really are like.

I'm thrilled that the brillo-pad guy got through! Talk about your anti-American Idol guy!

I agree about the Hollywood part. I wish they would show much more of this than the stupid idiot auditions. I don't recall them going though the Hollywood round so quickly in the past. Last year I think they went through 3 or 4 episodes, possibly one or two of them two hour shows.

This is the time where they need to develop the characters, so to speak. Think about it. They want the public to start voting next week, yet they are going to show the selected 24 in an hour show tonight. I hate when they go to the voting and you see 3 or 4 people you've never seen before.

Quite frankly, I am losing interest this year. Getting to know some of these people and the stories behind them would make it much, much better in my opinion.

Seems to me if this were a legitimate singing competition, the beat-box kid, the guy with the shaved head and sideburns, and Antoinella wouldn't be advancing into the Top 24.

Antoinelle was especially brutal. When she was judged with the other girl -- whose solo performance was great (even Simon admitted it) -- it couldn't have been an easier decision. Add in two instances of forgetting lyrics on stage as well.

I suppose someone could answer back that the decisions were made prior to filming, but why then did producers arrange the two as the final contestants? Just....bad.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

One thing I caught last night that I forgot to mention earlier. The girl that won the contest on the Grammy's and sang the duet with Justin Timberlake, was one of the Idol contestants cust in last night's Hollywood Week show. Her name was Robyn Troupe. All we saw was a quick blip on Idol, but I thought she was pretty damned good on the Grammy's.

QUOTE(soxwon @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
the winner will be

Alaina Alexander

No chance in hell

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 03:24 AM)
One thing I caught last night that I forgot to mention earlier. The girl that won the contest on the Grammy's and sang the duet with Justin Timberlake, was one of the Idol contestants cust in last night's Hollywood Week show. Her name was Robyn Troupe. All we saw was a quick blip on Idol, but I thought she was pretty damned good on the Grammy's.

No chance in hell

why not?

who do you consider the fave?

Mindy Doolittle. Almost no doubt in my mind. If she keeps growing as the show moves on, she will be amazing. Sundance was my fave, and I hope he pulls it together. But he was taken over by Chris Sligh. I like his voice, his style, and his sense of humor kills me.

As for beat box boy, Simon told him they passed him on his singing. They haven't shown us any of it yet really, and I have to wonder why. Granted, to myself (the non-beatbox kind of guy), he sounds really impressive with that crap. He might not be up to Fat Boys quality...but I don't know about the whole Beatbox World.

QUOTE(soxwon @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
glockson from naperville, i cant stand her.

she has a nasty attitude.

please boot her quick.

You're out of luck. She made it through.

But way to crush a 22-year-olds dreams.

However, when they showed clips of her last year and then this year, it looks like she put on about 20 lbs since last year. Of course so did I.

QUOTE(soxwon @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
why not?

who do you consider the fave?

Just from what I have seen, I think she is middle of the pack of women, at best. Not too impressed.

From the guys, I do like Chris Sligh, the guy who was the back up singer (Brandon?) and am intrigued at what Sundance Head will bring.

As far as the girls, I guess in what little I have seen, I have been less than impressed. I do think Melinda Doolittle could do well, but she will have to gain confidence. Her current demeanor and voice will only go so far. She doesn't have to go 180 degrees on us and turn cocky, but she'll need to step up and give the audience the feeling she believes she belongs.

QUOTE(soxwon @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
glockson from naperville, i cant stand her.

she has a nasty attitude.

please boot her quick.

hmm. went to high school with her and dont remember her being her being nasty. i never really watched idol to much but i hear she made it through so i will have to check it out.

Eh...none of the guys are going anywhere.

I like Chris Sligh, and think he will find a career, but not through winning the top spot.

Phil, the last guy, did a heck a job tonight and has grown more than anybody else, aside from that AJ guy that went right before him. But Phil sang with more "heart".

The Beatbox Blake proved why he was there. He was pretty good. Between his looks, voice, and beatbox thing he will also have nice success for a few years.

But so far, nothing amazing out of the guys. I think the final show will have two of the ladies on the stage.

I meant to ask yesterday, but forgot -- was the male contestants vote off that went on a minute long speech complimenting the looks of fellow male competitors? I heard this in another room, and may have misinterpreted several words. I did hear Seacrests' statement of "Glad I'm on the other coach," though.

All I could think to myself is, this guy is gone. Don't even need to hear his voice. I'm a tolerant person, but from my position it just sounded incredibly....gay. And I wouldn't put it past voters to completely sour on whoever said those comments.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
I meant to ask yesterday, but forgot -- was the male contestants vote off that went on a minute long speech complimenting the looks of fellow male competitors? I heard this in another room, and may have misinterpreted several words. I did hear Seacrests' statement of "Glad I'm on the other coach," though.

All I could think to myself is, this guy is gone. Don't even need to hear his voice. I'm a tolerant person, but from my position it just sounded incredibly....gay. And I wouldn't put it past voters to completely sour on whoever said those comments.

It was a freakin joke