I bet Dye will be back next year

VAfan

There have been tons of threads about Jermaine, mostly dissing him for his poor performance to start the season. But after not pulling the trigger on a trade, I would bet that KW comes to terms with him on an extension. Yesterday's 2 HR, 2 2B, performance, shows that he can still hit. And he's still willing to give the Sox a home-team discount, which no free agent -- not even Aaron Rowand -- would be willing to do. Since Dye will likely be cheaper than Rowand, and since we have no outfielder in our system with any potential to hit the ball over the fence, it is going to be very hard to dump Dye and hope our team could be better next season. Even the 2005 Sox hit the ball over the fence. It is an essential way to winning at the Cell.

So, if you still hate Jermaine, get over it. On a 3-year extension (or perhaps 2 with some kind of mutual or performance option to kick in a 3rd year), we may not get 3 great years out of him, but I expect we'll get something like we've gotten out of him on his last contract -- 1 fabulous year, 1 very solid year, and 1 mixed year. And that's likely better than just about any alternative we have.

(BTW -- on a 3-year deal, I would not necessarily expect Dye to play RF the entire time. But if he hits like he has resumed hitting, his defense isn't going to be acceptable.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definately fine with JD coming back.

If MacDougal, Boone, Thornton can have good years next year (w/ Jenks) then I think the potential is there for the pen to pick it up...that isn't even considering Wasserman, Day, Massett, and Aardsmas roles next year, as I expect all 4 of them to improve.

I am glad we are seeing Richar now, but I really would like a big-time CF and a SS who can run that has better bat control.

Outside of that, I see troubling signs with our rotation. Mark Buehrle is a hoss...no doubt. Javy seems to have turned the corner and I hope he keeps heading up, Garland is solid...but the other two, Contreras appears finished, and Danks is now going through a tough period. I actually have faith in Danks, because he has shown the ability in the past to improve, he is mentally tough, and has a lot of talent.

Still, there are questions all over this team...that if answered in a positive fashion could put the Sox in contention next year. Unless we were to replace Dye of someone of comparable skill set (and that doesn't exist in our current minor leagues) not having Dye would probably mean we'd be in a rebuilding mode.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
I am definately fine with JD coming back.

If MacDougal, Boone, Thornton can have good years next year (w/ Jenks) then I think the potential is there for the pen to pick it up...that isn't even considering Wasserman, Day, Massett, and Aardsmas roles next year, as I expect all 4 of them to improve.

I am glad we are seeing Richar now, but I really would like a big-time CF and a SS who can run that has better bat control.

Outside of that, I see troubling signs with our rotation. Mark Buehrle is a hoss...no doubt. Javy seems to have turned the corner and I hope he keeps heading up, Garland is solid...but the other two, Contreras appears finished, and Danks is now going through a tough period. I actually have faith in Danks, because he has shown the ability in the past to improve, he is mentally tough, and has a lot of talent.

Still, there are questions all over this team...that if answered in a positive fashion could put the Sox in contention next year. Unless we were to replace Dye of someone of comparable skill set (and that doesn't exist in our current minor leagues) not having Dye would probably mean we'd be in a rebuilding mode.

From everything I have read on Danks he struggles the 1st year in a new league, and then picks it up the following year.

I understand why people would want JD back, but to me, the fact is, he should be a DH somewhere next year, and if he isn't a DH, he'll wind up just like this year; struggling for a month or two with some sort of nagging injury that winds up preventing him from putting up good numbers. I just don't think he has it in him to be a full time outfielder next season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
I understand why people would want JD back, but to me, the fact is, he should be a DH somewhere next year, and if he isn't a DH, he'll wind up just like this year; struggling for a month or two with some sort of nagging injury that winds up preventing him from putting up good numbers. I just don't think he has it in him to be a full time outfielder next season.

Why would you say that? I would say that his production dropped ALOT because of his contract situation and the extra pressure he put on himself. It seemed to me like he was always trying to hard at the plate, and was still fielding fine in the field. I think we extend him a couple of years and he is the JD of the second half this season. I fulled expect something like:

.284 .354 30 100

I wouldnt mind him back for a two year deal. Nothing more than that. I think he can still play a solid RF. I think he might need more days off.

He really only has to play Rf for one more year and than can become are DH once Granpa Thome leaves.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Why would you say that? I would say that his production dropped ALOT because of his contract situation and the extra pressure he put on himself. It seemed to me like he was always trying to hard at the plate, and was still fielding fine in the field. I think we extend him a couple of years and he is the JD of the second half this season. I fulled expect something like:

.284 .354 30 100

I was under the impression that one of the big things hurting his performance this year was that bad hamstring that finally sat him down for a few games in June, and he finally seemed to turn it back on to me when his legs finally felt better.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
I was under the impression that one of the big things hurting his performance this year was that bad hamstring that finally sat him down for a few games in June, and he finally seemed to turn it back on to me when his legs finally felt better.

It could be. I was under the impression that in his first season with the sox he put a TON of pressure on himself to try and replace maggs and went into a slump which was VERY similar to this years. He got over it that season just like this season as well. I think Dye comes back huge next year.

I will most likely get grilled for this, but I would LOVE to have Dye back... AS THE DH. If there is any way to trade Thome (I know he has a NTC) we should do it. A team like the Angels would love to have him with Vlad in there lineup. I dont know what we could get for Thome, but I would think we could get something pretty darn good for him. Thoughts?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I will most likely get grilled for this, but I would LOVE to have Dye back... AS THE DH. If there is any way to trade Thome (I know he has a NTC) we should do it. A team like the Angels would love to have him with Vlad in there lineup. I dont know what we could get for Thome, but I would think we could get something pretty darn good for him. Thoughts?

I think people are forgetting the Sox already have their DH replacement when Thome retires/leaves after his contract is up. He's at 1B.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
It could be. I was under the impression that in his first season with the sox he put a TON of pressure on himself to try and replace maggs and went into a slump which was VERY similar to this years. He got over it that season just like this season as well. I think Dye comes back huge next year.

My impression back in 05 was that a.) JD at least had a reputation as a slow starter, and he was coming off another set of leg injuries from back in 04.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
I think people are forgetting the Sox already have their DH replacement when Thome retires/leaves after his contract is up. He's at 1B.

Very good point, and I was thinking that as well... but don't you think Paulie can play 1B for another 2, maybe 3 years? Sign Dye for a 2 or 3 year deal to be the DH, when his contract is up, move Konerko to the DH. Would this be realistic?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Very good point, and I was thinking that as well... but don't you think Paulie can play 1B for another 2, maybe 3 years? Sign Dye for a 2 or 3 year deal to be the DH, when his contract is up, move Konerko to the DH. Would this be realistic?

I would like for this to be the plan. I am a HUGE JD fan.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)

Thome is signed through next year, right? I bet they sign him to one more one year deal with an option after that and then Paulie will take over. Just a hunch and I have nothing to base it on except that Thome doesn't want to go anywhere (except Cleveland, and that DH job is taken for a loooong time).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Thome is signed through next year, right? I bet they sign him to one more one year deal with an option after that and then Paulie will take over. Just a hunch and I have nothing to base it on except that Thome doesn't want to go anywhere (except Cleveland, and that DH job is taken for a loooong time).

Could be, but I just want to point out that unlike Dye, PK is still an above average defender at his position. He is slow as molasses on the basepaths, but he covers 1B very well, and still has some quickness in that first step (quickness not being the same as speed).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Could be, but I just want to point out that unlike Dye, PK is still an above average defender at his position. He is slow as molasses on the basepaths, but he covers 1B very well, and still has some quickness in that first step (quickness not being the same as speed).

Konerko is not an above average defender at first base. He'll catch things hit right at him and he can make most picks. He has awful range. Awful awful awful.

Yeah Cause Konerko has looked so bad at 1b this year and has been so hurt. Konerko has showed no sign that he cant play 1b for 3 more years. This is something people are putting into their heads.

Konerko had played 101 out of 108 games this year at 1b. Making a whoping 3 errors.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Yeah Cause Konerko has looked so bad at 1b this year and has been so hurt. Konerko has showed no sign that he cant play 1b for 3 more years. This is something people are putting into their heads.

Konerko had played 101 out of 108 games this year at 1b. Making a whoping 3 errors.

Alrighty there, Admiral Angry. I'm just saying that Thome is going to retire soon. Konerko has a degenerative hip and the White Sox LOVE him.

Thome is signed through next year and has an option in 2009. If the Sox don't pick it up, which they probably won't cuz it's for $13 mil with a $3 mil buyout...I could see Paulie being moved to DH.

And errors, like pitchers wins, is not a good stat for defensive ability.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
I will most likely get grilled for this, but I would LOVE to have Dye back... AS THE DH. If there is any way to trade Thome (I know he has a NTC) we should do it.

I like Thome a lot, but he's constantly tweaking his back and I'd love to dump his salary. If Kenny can unload Thome, I wouldn't mind him giving JD a three-year deal and possibly moving JD to DH at some point (not necessarily next year).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Alrighty there, Admiral Angry. I'm just saying that Thome is going to retire soon. Konerko has a degenerative hip and the White Sox LOVE him.

Thome is signed through next year and has an option in 2009. If the Sox don't pick it up, which they probably won't cuz it's for $13 mil with a $3 mil buyout...I could see Paulie being moved to DH.

Either way, Paulie is a VERY good defensive 1B, he makes alot of good plays and is one of the best in the biz at picking bad throws. He can easily play out his contract in the field. Dye should be extended 2 years with a 3rd year option. Making RF not a problem for us. With youth and defensive ability coming in to the rest of the OF, I feel ok with Dye out there. I also think that Richar's range at 2B is going to help Paulie out as well.

what makes you so confident of that? 1, Paulie hates being the DH. 2, Paulie is and will very well likely still be a very capable defender at 1B.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
Konerko is not an above average defender at first base. He'll catch things hit right at him and he can make most picks. He has awful range. Awful awful awful.

He is absolutely above average. A couple years ago I'd have said GG caliber (not now though). Let's look at some numbers. Among all MLB firstbasemen...

8th in FPct

12th in ZR

15th in RF

There are 30 teams. He is average or above average in each of those three categories. And oh yeah, he is 4th in games played at 1B, so he's doing that while playing just about every day, despite being an older player.

He is, and has been, an above average defender at his position.

ETA: That isn't even to mention the intangibles - he is a smart player, and makes very few mental mistakes (which don't always show up in the stats).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)

That's exactly why they wouldn't put him as the DH. If Paulie can still field, he will play 1B, plain and simple. The team's not gonna play Konerko at DH if he doesn't want to DH. After all, this is the same team that asked for Konerko's opinion on whether or not to trade someone.

I think Thome and Konerko will both be nack next year for 2 reasons.

1. The Sox need their bats. There just is so little offense on this team without them.

2. I doubt there was a big offer out there for Thome or Kenny would seriously consider taking it. I haven't heard one rumor related to Thome being traded.

I happen to like the idea of keeping him around for another 2 years. Yes, he has occasional nagging injuries but he still plays a lot of games and is a HUGE offensive force when he plays. The Sox can hang onto him 2 more years and they have no better alternative.

Defensively, Konerko isn't great but he is definitely decent if not good. Of all the serious problems with this organization, Konerko and his defense isn't one of them.

If the Sox could surround these 2 , Dye and A.J. with Fields, Richar and 3 more very athletic guys with speed and a good OBP, this offense would be very good.

But, they need to seriously acquire 2 good outfielders and a good SS without giving up much. Don't ask me how because most of their trading chips have gotten injured or underperformed i.e. Contreras, Crede, Sweeney, Anderson, Haeger, MacDougal, Dye, Pods,Phillips, Erstad etc.

Im with ya Randy. If you keep the plodding middle of the order in tact and keep athletes like Richar, Sweeney, Fields, Etc around them in the order this offense would be mighty good. We need some more speed at the top and bottom, and we need these young guys to bring TONS of energy to this team.