Fantasy Sports Catch-All

knightni

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Wait, wait, wait... Are you saying I can't gloat in the league thread? Like how I gloated about winning league 2 last year and how I'll gloat when I pummel everyone again this year?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. I mean, I'm willing to gloat in both threads. But don't take that away, knightni.

Well, you sir are in for a battle. ;)

Hey how bout you show up to the draft this time :P

Though the cpu may end up drafting better regardless :D

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, you sir are in for a battle. ;)

Hey how bout you show up to the draft this time :P

Though the cpu may end up drafting better regardless :D

Nice. :D

Hey, I still think bumping Bedard up on my prerank worked pretty well...

But I'm def gonna try to avoid any parades this year. :bang

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
What do you guys think of this:

Wright for Braun and Jenks

I have Wright, and could use the saves....

Whats your team look like, then I'd really be able to help ya?

For me its hard to give up a 30/30 player in Wright for someone in Braun who exploded onto the scene and is a potential sophomore slump candidate. It is rather tempting because Jenks is a solid throw in.

Ill give you a name nobody drafted at closer in your league: George Sherill (BAL)

Might not even be that bad to drop one of your backups for this guy who should notch idk at least 20 saves or more.

You can thank me later ;)

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
What do you guys think of this:

Wright for Braun and Jenks

I have Wright, and could use the saves....

I'd jump all over that s***. You get a top 3 closer and someone who when all is said and done could have a better season than Wright...

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Whats your team look like, then I'd really be able to help ya?

For me its hard to give up a 30/30 player in Wright for someone in Braun who exploded onto the scene and is a potential sophomore slump candidate. It is rather tempting because Jenks is a solid throw in.

Ill give you a name nobody drafted at closer in your league: George Sherill (BAL)

Might not even be that bad to drop one of your backups for this guy who should notch idk at least 20 saves or more.

You can thank me later ;)

i actually did draft sherill in another league.

but yeah my team stacks up like this:

C Towles

1B Konerko

2B Pedroia

3B Wright

SS Hardy

LF Dunn

CF Soriano

RF Vlad

Util Loney

BN Gordon

BN Garko

Saves wise i've got Putz and BJ Ryan (who, if healthy, will be solid - but it's a ? right now)

Ooo tough call now that I see your team.

Got some pros and cons:

Cons:

Right now you have pretty good balance hitting, I feel if you trade Wright you would hurt in the stolen base department. Really all you got as BIG sb guys are Soriano and Wright. I know Towles and Gordon nab some bases but its kind of a crapshoot to predict. Plus I'm high on Braun too but as a 2nd rd pick its hard to say if he puts up another big year even if the numbers suggest he could've gave A Rod a run for his money.

Pros:

Getting Braun gives you some flexibility since he can play OF/3B and Gordon who plays 1B/3B so you would have a fill in in for outfield which would help because Vlad and Soriano are injury prone. You'd get Jenks and you badly need saves.

Just a thought, your deep at first base, I'd almost suggest dealing Konerko for a closer straight up and starting Loney in the 1B spot and Garko at Util. Your team has good power so wouldn't hurt all that much and Loney and Garko have good upside.

I'd say pull the trigger.

20 team league - what do you think?

C Kurt Suzuki

(Oak - C)

1B Alex Gordon

(KC - 1B,3B)

2B Aaron Hill

(Tor - 2B)

3B Ryan Zimmerman

(Was - 3B)

SS Jimmy Rollins

(Phi - SS)

OF Chris Young

(Ari - OF)

OF Josh Fields

(CWS - 3B,OF)

OF Justin Upton

(Ari - OF)

Util Mark Teahen

(KC - 1B,OF)

BN Asdrubal Cabrera

(Cle - 2B,SS)

BN Jerry Owens

(CWS - OF)

Pitching

SP Felix Hernandez

(Sea - SP)

SP Roy Halladay

(Tor - SP)

SP Mark Buehrle

(CWS - SP)

SP Barry Zito

(SF - SP)

SP Jair Jurrjens

(Atl - SP)

RP Bobby Jenks

(CWS - RP)

P George Sherrill

(Bal - RP)

BN Jason Marquis

(ChC - SP)

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 01:28 AM)
20 team league - what do you think?

Wow, that's a big league. Roto, I guess?

You'll tank batting average, and your pitching has some injury concerns. You only have one real strikeout pitcher, and he's one of those concerns (although I think he's a good pick). It's tough to judge overall when I've never been in a league that big.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Wow, that's a big league. Roto, I guess?

You'll tank batting average, and your pitching has some injury concerns. You only have one real strikeout pitcher, and he's one of those concerns (although I think he's a good pick). It's tough to judge overall when I've never been in a league that big.

I really think that about half my guys are due for a career year, a breakout or a comeback.

Most of them except for Rollins, Jenks and Hill are either coming off a poorer than normal season, or a partial season due to being so young.

I'm looking for the rebound. But yeah, the BA will be down.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I really think that about half my guys are due for a career year, a breakout or a comeback.

Most of them except for Rollins, Jenks and Hill are either coming off a poorer than normal season, or a partial season due to being so young.

I'm looking for the rebound. But yeah, the BA will be down.

Yeah, and it's a better strategy, looking for breakouts instead of Kevin Millars, but you have 4 big ba liabilities in Gordon, Fields, Young, and Upton. Maybe two of those will be solid this year, maybe, but Young at least is guaranteed to be a big drag in that cat. I'm not criticizing -- in a league that big, those are just the sacrifices you have to make.

I'd look to drop Marquis for 'the next big thing' callup pitcher. Even with a Zito rebound you can't expect too many strikeouts, as his k totals have been going down for a while, and he's probably your 2nd best strikeout starter. Jmho.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is getting annoying... I have 6 of, and I'd like to keep 4, but noone is willing to trade with me because almost every of in baseball is playing well. They seem too valuable to drop, but I'm falling behind in innings, so at some point I'll have to bite the bullet and drop someone I believe in for a marginal starter. Would someone somewhere start sucking already?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
This is getting annoying... I have 6 of, and I'd like to keep 4, but noone is willing to trade with me because almost every of in baseball is playing well. They seem too valuable to drop, but I'm falling behind in innings, so at some point I'll have to bite the bullet and drop someone I believe in for a marginal starter. Would someone somewhere start sucking already?

Yeah lol, I hate when you have a ton of good options on your bench, you know your going to check your team the next day and see player X hit a HR or stole a base.

Keep trying to trade man, if I've figured one thing out in fantasy it is persistence pays off.

Now, I have a very tough question needing to be answered.

I'm in a keeper league (6 keepers), I have Francisco Liriano, yes I know ouch. I've tried to trade him nothing has fell through but should I really even think about dropping him?

I really want to drop him but I know he will be picked up.

Suggestions. I've tried every kind of trade, even Liriano for Rich Hill wasn't accepted.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
Yeah lol, I hate when you have a ton of good options on your bench, you know your going to check your team the next day and see player X hit a HR or stole a base.

Keep trying to trade man, if I've figured one thing out in fantasy it is persistence pays off.

Now, I have a very tough question needing to be answered.

I'm in a keeper league (6 keepers), I have Francisco Liriano, yes I know ouch. I've tried to trade him nothing has fell through but should I really even think about dropping him?

I really want to drop him but I know he will be picked up.

Suggestions. I've tried every kind of trade, even Liriano for Rich Hill wasn't accepted.

Yeah, I've already missed two two-homer games. Not fun checking the stats the next morning.

On Liriano, who would you drop him for?

In a keeper league I'd hold on a while. I'm even holding him in one nonkeeper (the same one I have all the of in, funny enough). I'd like to give him a few starts in AAA before deciding. Although, I may drop him for Scherzer if noone ahead of me puts in a claim.

But in a keeper, I'd be inclined to tough it out at least until the ASB. As bad as he's been, the Twins did him no favors with that call up. Looking at his spring and his minor league starts, he clearly wasn't ready. His velocity is improving (gradually), and there's no reason to think his control suddenly disappeared with TJ surgery. He's just feeling it all out after a year and a half without facing any hitters, with a revamped delivery to boot.

I'm not saying he'll be the Liriano of old ever again. But we really can't tell what he's got left until he starts throwing strikes (and I'm pretty sure that'll happen with time). Then we'll be able to see how hittable his new slider is and how valuable he is long term. Just my two cents.