Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
espn.com video games page reporting Dion Phaneuf will be the cover boy for NHL 2009.

go look at the video game thread to see that

Sportsnet.ca - Wade Redden's days as an Ottawa Senator are effectively over after he refused to discuss taking a nearly 50% paycut, and he may be heavily pursued by former coach, and current Panthers GM Jacques Martin.

According to a report in the Ottawa Sun, an NHL source said that Martin would be going all out to sign Redden when he hits the free agent market on July 1. The Senators had wanted Redden to take a salary of $3.5 million next season, down from his current price tage of $6.5 million.

The Panthers won't be the only team interested in his services, though Redden would likely have to take a cut to about $5 million according to the report.

It's believed the Blackhawks, Canucks, Predators, Flyers and, possibly the Maple Leafs have an interest in Redden.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Redden from what I have read has lost a step or two from his glory days a few years ago. Granted, I would love to see him with my own eyes before casting serious judgment, but I just don't have the time to catch a ton of Sens games.

Same here. Besides that, I've heard there were huge cocaine issues in the Ottawa locker room, but I'm not sure Redden was involved.

Give me Liles and Malone/Rolston and I'm satisfied. Go after Ryan Miller next offseason, and then extend Kane, Toews, and Kane.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

It's all up to Pittsburgh Penguins winger Marian Hossa now. The Penguins have made Hossa a long-term contract offer -- believed to be seven years, $50 million -- and expect to hear back from him in a couple of days.

If Hossa accepts the contract -- and the Penguins expect he will -- Ryan Malone's days in the Steel City are finished.

At that point, it's believed the Blue Jackets will swoop in and trade for Malone's negotiating rights to get him signed before the July 1 free agency free-for-all. What will the Blue Jackets give up? I've heard Dan Fritsche, straight up, and I've heard a second- or third-round draft pick.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
How does Pitt plan to pay Hossa, Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar all that much and still plan to field a decent rest of the team?

Well, they offered arb. to Fleury.

My bet- they're just going to let Malkin walk. He's a RFA at the time, but I don't think that'll matter.

I think a team dying for a star, like LA, will pay him $8 a year.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
You need to stop betting.

Then prove me wrong.

Because they will probably have to pay Fleury $5 a year, they're already paying Crosby close to $8 a year, Hossa will be a little more then $7 a year, and they're already paying Gonchar about $5 a year.

Also, Sykora is an UFA next offseason so they might have to pay him about $4-$5 a year.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Same here. Besides that, I've heard there were huge cocaine issues in the Ottawa locker room, but I'm not sure Redden was involved.

Give me Liles and Malone/Rolston and I'm satisfied. Go after Ryan Miller next offseason, and then extend Kane, Toews, and Kane.

If only we could have two of him!

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
I have to prove to you why I think they will sign Malkin, and not Sykora???? Are you kidding me?

Malkin is the definition of a franchise player. He is a 21 year old 100 point player. It's a chicken-egg debate, but does Crosby make Malkin the player he is, or does Evgeni make Crosby the player he is?

Plus

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...=rss&feed=8

As more of the article states, the rumors that have been floating around is if anything, they try and trade him before they have to sign him, but that is hardly "letting him walk".

Anything else?

Hey Captain know-it-all... don't be so sure. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_572854.html

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Awesome. A columnist giving his opinion on the situation. No real facts provided. What was that supposed to prove exactly?

That's my point. If you're looking for solid proof that he'll be signed, you'll have to contact Dr. Emmit Brown.

Until then, either side shouldn't claim to know what's going to happen. There's a salary cap for a reason, and it's going to cause the Pens some problems.

Edited by Steve9347

A couple of snippets

" The Senators can officially get rid of Ray Emery. The buyout period started yesterday and runs until June 30. It's expected the Senators will soon serve notice to the troubled goalie that his days with the club are finished. Before GM Bryan Murray sends Emery packing with a $2.25-million (all terms US) buyout, Murray will exhaust all trade options. Sources say there are a couple of teams interested in Emery, including the Blues. A source said a deal could be worked out if Murray is willing to add a prospect or a pick in this weekend's draft at Scotiabank Place. "

The Senators are letting all 7 off their unrestricted players go, and its only time until this buyout happens. I would hate to see him in a Blues uni though.

-----------------------

The Pens wont let Malkin walk thats for sure, but he will be traded later rather then sooner, he will probably sign a 5 year 8.5 mil contract this summer.

"A month ago, Evgeni Malkin was the toast of the town. Now, you wonder if he's just plain toast. Should star winger Marian Hossa accept the long-term, lucrative contract offer the Penguins have put before him, Malkin's days in Pittsburgh could be numbered. That doesn't necessarily mean Malkin would be traded next week or even next year. He might even sign a new contract this summer. But it's hard to believe the Penguins could keep three premium young centers - Sidney Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal - plus Hossa, goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, defenseman Ryan Whitney, etc., together for the long haul. The NHL's salary cap system would not allow for that. Somebody would have to go. That somebody, in all likelihood, would be one of the two high-priced centers not named Sidney. By keeping Staal, the Penguins would potentially have a Mark Messier-type to complement their Wayne Gretzky (Crosby). Two very different styles. Two very different roles."

Anyways I still stand by my last post. I love Staal. He is in his last year of his entry-level contract, and adding him would be better then getting any other winger. Also saying goodbye to Ryan Malone is a no brainer, but add Brooks Orpik in there too. He might be a solid signing for the defense(It would be a tossup between Liles and Orpik), but I think Redden is coming to the Hawks(not that excited but its something as long as you cancel out 08 season).

Good 3:30 in the morning post right there -- JF

Rule changes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=txru...t&type=lgns

Agree with all of them, though they should just go to no touch icing already. It's clear why the made the rule change, so why not just take it one step further? It's really not an exciting play in hockey, only a dangerous one.

Edited by IlliniKrush

So the draft is on tomorrow, we have the 11th pick IIRC.

There are some rumors of Marleau to Columbus for the 6th or Zherdev, or even Malkin to the Kings for Cammilleri plus others + picks.

I wouldn't mind adding another quality defensive prospect into the system, but it should be best player available.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
Rule changes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=txru...t&type=lgns

Agree with all of them, though they should just go to no touch icing already. It's clear why the made the rule change, so why not just take it one step further? It's really not an exciting play in hockey, only a dangerous one.

I agree on no touch icing too. There is no point in the play and it slows down the game.

A change to Rule 81.1 states that “any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck.”

Patrick Kane just got even better.

Per Hockeybuzz

Flyers trade Vaclav Prospal's rights to Tampa Bay...

Word out of NY today from two sources is that NY Rangers are targeting Wade Redden HEAVILY. "The Rangers are pretty confident that they can land Redden," a source told me. Other teams interested: Boston (Chara Redden Reunited?), NJ, Phoenix, and Edmonton...

Speaking of Edmonton...Look for Kevin Lowe to be VERY active this weekend. Darren Dreger from TSN spoke of a possible trade involving one-time Cup rivals Edmonton and Carolina. Darren mentioned Cole or Ruutu possibly heading to Edmonton for Pitkanen... I am hearing Ruutu is extremely possible, not so much Cole. That doesn't mean that Cole won't be moved however.

What is interesting is how this will mark the second straight draft that the Canes will attempt to grab Pitkanen. There was a trade that came REALLY close to happening last year. A three way deal that would have sent Pitkanen to the Hurricanes and included Edmonton as well, while Pitkanen was still a member of the Flyers.

The Rumours are Rampant. The Malkin talk is at a fevered pitch. Malkin to LA Kings for Kopitar, Brown,and two first rounders. I just don't buy it. While I do believe Malkin could get moved at a draft, I would be more likely on board at the next draft in Montreal. There is no real reason for the Pens to shop Malkin "right now." That doesn't mean the calls aren't being made however...That is certain.

I just put a bunch into one, but that is a powerful offer from the Kings, whether it happens or not whatever. Redden to NYR bummer as many think the Hawks might get him. Ruutu will probably be traded again, hopefully he finds a home. And not put in there but the Lightning are pretty much putting away trade offers and will select Stamkos

I'll one up all you guys, in terms of good news for the Hawks.

from blog.canoe.ca (for what it's worth)

Defenceman Brian Campbell will be going to the unrestricted free agent market.

But, it's doubtful he'll be wearing an Ottawa uniform.

Senators GM Bryan Murray said today he had discussions with San Jose GM Doug Wilson about acquiring Campbell's rights before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but the asking price was too high and Ottawa really can't afford to sign the former 67's defenceman anyway.

Campbell has informed the Sharks he won't be back.

:headbang :headbang