Dye contract

BamaDoc

How does the mutual option for 12 million in 2010 work? I assume both sides(mutual) must agree but if not does he become a free agent or can the sox offer arbitration and keep draft pick compensation in the equation?

Jermaine has a $12 million mutual option for 2012 with a $1 million buyout. If both sides agree, then he will stay with the Sox for 1 more year and earn $12 million for that season. If either side disagrees, the Sox will get out of it by paying an additional $1 million.

The arbitration rules are complicated, but the important detail is this; if the White Sox offer arbitration, the least possible amount that JD could get by accepting arbitration is 80% of his salary this year. The Sox could therefore offer arbitration, but they'd be guaranteeing him a 1 year deal worth over $9 million, in addition to paying the $1 million buyout. Given that the going rate for an OF like JD right now is probably 1/2 that, the odds of the Sox offering him arbitration are very low.

The Sox have 3 options with Dye.

Option 1- Trade him to a contender for minor league prospects. The question with this option is, with Dye's age and his mutual option, would we get much back for him?

Option 2- Take the option at 12 million. This is something i just can't see happening in the current state of the Sox and in the economy in general. We saw a big decrease in pay for free agents this year.

Option 3- Decline his option and sign him to a new restructered deal. He could very well be our new DH.

I actually see option 3 the most likely. Why trade Dye for crappy prospects? I could see Dye re-signed for a 3 year 21 million deal. Dye could easily be the new DH going forward. SO far, he is showing no signs of decline offensively which is encouraging.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
The Sox have 3 options with Dye.

Option 1- Trade him to a contender for minor league prospects. The question with this option is, with Dye's age and his mutual option, would we get much back for him?

Option 2- Take the option at 12 million. This is something i just can't see happening in the current state of the Sox and in the economy in general. We saw a big decrease in pay for free agents this year.

Option 3- Decline his option and sign him to a new restructered deal. He could very well be our new DH.

I actually see option 3 the most likely. Why trade Dye for crappy prospects? I could see Dye re-signed for a 3 year 21 million deal. Dye could easily be the new DH going forward. SO far, he is showing no signs of decline offensively which is encouraging.

I agree to an extent. If his contract is bought out can you still offer him arbitration to gain draft picks? Also, the link in the arbitration post indicates you can cut a free agent >80%.

I agree that he could still have a future here as DH. This would be good as I think he would be a good mentor for young players(as would Thome Konerko I just don't see all three here next year).

In a trade he could impact not only by prospects which would depend on if any salary picked up, but also if cash saved is applied to signing some of the tough draft choices. The sox actually seem to follow a budget so perhaps savings in one area could be applied in another.

Isn't there some sort of rule where you can't re-sign a player to less than their arbitration price?

Or does it not apply because Jermaine still has an option year left?

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
Isn't there some sort of rule where you can't re-sign a player to less than their arbitration price?

Or does it not apply because Jermaine still has an option year left?

If you offer him arbitration, the lowest possible offer the Sox can make is 80% of his current salary for this year if he accepts arbitration. You could also sign him to a contract before the arbitration offers are due.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
How does the mutual option for 12 million in 2010 work? I assume both sides(mutual) must agree but if not does he become a free agent or can the sox offer arbitration and keep draft pick compensation in the equation?

I would keep J Dye and other veterans and get rid of those that don't produce.