Has Pierre lost a step?

balfanman

I was just thinking about Juan Pierres' stolen base attempts and it seems to me that many of his successful steals this year were when the ball beat him to the base and Juan put some kind of move on the fielders tag attempt to be safe. I can't say that I remember all of his attempts and admittedly I don't actually see very many games, but I listen to almost every inning on radio. D.J. & Farmer seem to be saying often how Juan is avoiding the tag. It just seems that Juan doesn't beat the ball to the bag very often.

I didn't watch Juan much in his earlier days. so does anyone think that Juan Piere may have lost a step or two?

Pierre's definitely slower than 2003, but he's still, at least for now, fast enough to be effective. I have no problem if he's stealing at the right time and sneaking in around the tag; as long as he's still somewhere close to that 75% clip. Today, at least one of his attempts was just plain stupidly timed; stealing 3rd with a guy up batting lefty against a guy with a good fastball and 0 outs? That breaks like every single rule ever written.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Pierre's definitely slower than 2003, but he's still, at least for now, fast enough to be effective. I have no problem if he's stealing at the right time and sneaking in around the tag; as long as he's still somewhere close to that 75% clip. Today, at least one of his attempts was just plain stupidly timed; stealing 3rd with a guy up batting lefty against a guy with a good fastball and 0 outs? That breaks like every single rule ever written.

i bet he was thinking it was such a stupid idea, he would catch them off guard

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
He has 41 steals in 55 attempts, and leads all of baseball in this category. I know he got caught a couple of times today, but he's still an elite base stealer.

That's good for just under 75%. I'd say that it qualifies for pretty good, but definitely not elite.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
That's good for just under 75%. I'd say that it qualifies for pretty good, but definitely not elite.

Yeah, when I think elite basestealer I think Carl Crawford or Jacoby Ellsbury. That said, it's hard to complain about anything when it comes to Juan Pierre right now.