2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
How come OSU's young guys are question marks but everyone else's are expected to be contributors immediately as freshman? OSU has just as many McD's AA's sitting on the bench about the make the leap towards their second year than any of the other teams in the conference have coming in. Second, the top recruit of last class didnt join the team until halfway through the year and got zero run. This was the youngest team in the conference this year, and in 2 years should be VERY good. Now if Tony Parker picks OSU this is all a whole new ballgame.

Stats say IU was top 20. But once again 158th in defense. Bringing in young players doesnt really help teams on defense typically unless they are Davis or Craft type players.

Rock what's the feeling on Thomas declaring? Any chance of that?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
I have to believe Thomas is declaring, imo he gets drafted before Sullinger.

It's your opinion but it's wrong. Thomas may declare but he doesn't have a first round grade and some are saying he may not get drafted at all. Sully is a 2 time all-American.

Widely expected among the top picks in the NBA draft, Sullinger was a two-time AP All-America -- the first player to earn that honor in back-to-back years since North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough in 2009. He was also named to this season's John R. Wooden All-American Team.

Sullinger also was the first player to be named All-America in his freshman and sophomore seasons since Chris Jackson of LSU in 1989 and 1990.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
Rock what's the feeling on Thomas declaring? Any chance of that?

Yes 50/50. He is a new father and actually wanted to jump last year. It probably depends if he can be convinced that he will be lottery next season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
I dont think quoting Sullinger's press accolades will change my opinion that Thomas may be the better pro.

I just have concerns about Sullinger's game translating to the pros.

Sullinger is about the same size as Zach Randolph, who he'll be a poor mans version of. That's valuable. If anything, I'd argue he's one of the guys who is most ready to go to the league and a team can plug right in. He's got a good low post game already. Worst case scenario, he's Michael Sweetney, best case scenario he's Zach Randolph or Chris Kaman or something around there.

If Sullinger had the same height/length as Kaman, Id be a lot more optimistic.

The problem is Sullinger (imo) is a short 6'9, it says Randolph is 6'9, but I would bet he is taller than Sullinger. I think Thomas will be a better pro than Sweetney, so that really doesnt change my opinion.

I think Thomas is good, could even become really good.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
If Sullinger had the same height/length as Kaman, Id be a lot more optimistic.

The problem is Sullinger (imo) is a short 6'9, it says Randolph is 6'9, but I would bet he is taller than Sullinger. I think Thomas will be a better pro than Sweetney, so that really doesnt change my opinion.

I think Thomas is good, could even become really good.

Zach isn't 6'9".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
I dont think quoting Sullinger's press accolades will change my opinion that Thomas may be the better pro.

I just have concerns about Sullinger's game translating to the pros.

That wasn't what you said, you said he would be drafted before Sully. And if you think he's a tweener, Thomas is moreso. He's a relatively unathletic 3 who doesn't have an off hand and plays zero D.

I said imo hell be drafted before Sullinger.

The reason he would be drafted before Sullinger would be based on pro-projections.

Its my opinion based on watching them play, I dont see 40+ OSU games, but I probably catch at least 5-6 a season. I could be right, I could be wrong, but its my perception of them, and I doubt Im the only person who may believe that, right or wrong.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I said imo hell be drafted before Sullinger.

The reason he would be drafted before Sullinger would be based on pro-projections.

Its my opinion based on watching them play, I dont see 40+ OSU games, but I probably catch at least 5-6 a season. I could be right, I could be wrong, but its my perception of them, and I doubt Im the only person who may believe that, right or wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion. Keep in mind Thomas is an NBA 3, with limited ball handling skills no right hand and zero defense. IMO he is a D-league guy possibly with being mostly on the bench if not at least initially if he jumped right now. The guy behind him at OSU is tremendously skilled so I hope he stays, but if not, I cant wait to see LaQuinton Ross develop.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Sullinger is about the same size as Zach Randolph, who he'll be a poor mans version of. That's valuable. If anything, I'd argue he's one of the guys who is most ready to go to the league and a team can plug right in. He's got a good low post game already. Worst case scenario, he's Michael Sweetney, best case scenario he's Zach Randolph or Chris Kaman or something around there.

That's his biggest asset right now, IMO. I don't think he'll get much better than he is now, but he can play right away and be productive. I see him going in the 8-12 range, depending on who all ends up declaring and what not.

FWIW, if I didn't have major concerns about Leonard's demeanor and work ethic, I'd easily take him over Sullinger.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
That's his biggest asset right now, IMO. I don't think he'll get much better than he is now, but he can play right away and be productive. I see him going in the 8-12 range, depending on who all ends up declaring and what not.

FWIW, if I didn't have major concerns about Leonard's demeanor and work ethic, I'd easily take him over Sullinger.

One of the reasons he's losing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, by not coming back next year. If he were back for another season and put up the same numbers he did this year he'd be a top 5-10 pick. He's projected anywhere from 9 to 28 in the prediction stuff. Can't really fault the guy though for deciding to accept millions to play a game for a living.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
How come OSU's young guys are question marks but everyone else's are expected to be contributors immediately as freshman? OSU has just as many McD's AA's sitting on the bench about the make the leap towards their second year than any of the other teams in the conference have coming in. Second, the top recruit of last class didnt join the team until halfway through the year and got zero run. This was the youngest team in the conference this year, and in 2 years should be VERY good. Now if Tony Parker picks OSU this is all a whole new ballgame.

I didn't really say anything about expecting freshmen to dominate.

Indiana has 4 starters back plus Sheehey playing quite a bit. They're fine even if their freshmen provide nothing but depth.

Wisconsin has 4 starters back and Brust, not to mention they have a history of guys coming out of nowhere to produce.

Michigan should have their two best players back plus Morgan. Admittedly they need a bit more from freshmen, but McGary is probably the best recruit in the league and only needs to average like 9 and 7 to be an upgrade over what they had. Anything they get from Robinson and/or Stauskas would be a bonus. If Hardaway goes they have to lean on the freshmen a bit more, if Burke goes they're in deep s*** without a solid replacement option at the point.

I just went on a rant about how I think MSU is overrated in that poll. I'd put them on a similar tier as the non-Sullinger Buckeyes. Appling should be pretty solid, but it remains to be seen what they can get from Dawson/Payne/Harris. There's some pretty solid upside in there though and Nix can be solid in spots.

As for the Buckeyes, as I kind of said, who knows. Sullinger and Buford are both huge losses. Thomas can definitely score and Craft is solid. Smith looks like he should be pretty decent taking on a bigger role. After that, it's a lot of guys that haven't played much or didn't make a huge impact. At least Dawson and Payne have some experience, we have seen very little from guys like Williams, Ross, Thompson and Scott. If one of them becomes a stud, fine. All I'm saying is you have no clue what you're going to get outside of those first 3 guys and they need at least one to be pretty solid to be anywhere near what they did the last couple of years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
As for the Buckeyes, as I kind of said, who knows. Sullinger and Buford are both huge losses. Thomas can definitely score and Craft is solid. Smith looks like he should be pretty decent taking on a bigger role. After that, it's a lot of guys that haven't played much or didn't make a huge impact. At least Dawson and Payne have some experience, we have seen very little from guys like Williams, Ross, Thompson and Scott. If one of them becomes a stud, fine. All I'm saying is you have no clue what you're going to get outside of those first 3 guys and they need at least one to be pretty solid to be anywhere near what they did the last couple of years.

Ok. Who do you expect more out of, Perea and Farrell, or Williams and Scott next season?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
Ok. Who do you expect more out of, Perea and Farrell, or Williams and Scott next season?

I've barely seen any of them play. The Hoosiers look more explosive from that extremely limited sampling, but the OSU guys have a much clearer path to major minutes since there are two starting spots open.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
I've barely seen any of them play. The Hoosiers look more explosive from that extremely limited sampling, but the OSU guys have a much clearer path to major minutes since there are two starting spots open.

Perea should acclimate the quickest. He has pretty much been playing college ball against college teams for a while now.

Has anyone heard anything about Watford? Isn't the deadline to decide Tuesday?

I love the fact IU is getting so much attention, but I agree with Rock that in most years I'd prefer to be around 4-6 to start the year. After all we've gone through, I'm good with the spotlight. That said, I would warn that while IU will be loaded I think there will be growing pains. It would not be smart to underestimate the contributions from the current senior class. Aside from Verdell Jones III, they didn't give much production on the floor. But I believe they had a major impact in terms of leadership and drive. They stuck it out through Coach Crean's first four years and I think they had a major impact on this team coming together as they did. They could have easily folded after the losses to Minnies and Nebraska.

Fortunately Sheehey and Oladipo are reported gym rats and Zeller doesn't seem like one to rest on his laurels. If the new kids come in hungry and push the veterans, the adjustment shouldn't be major.

Edited by Rex Hudler