2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's sour grapes. A lot of people speculate that he's going to end up at Duke or MSU. Not the dirtiest of programs. I'd think it would be a little shadier if tOSU WAS in the picture (ala Anthony Davis).

Huh? Matta not being shady is what cost him Davis.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I wouldn't be too excited about Kendrick Nunn. Injuries and not really all that consistent.

Nunn, in my mind, would be an extremely important symbolic recruit for Groce. With all the crap that was spewed during the soap opera leading up to Groce's hire about Chicago coaches shutting their doors to Illinois, landing a highly sought kid from the Public League in his first recruiting class at Illinois would be huge.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Huh? Matta not being shady is what cost him Davis.

We obviously see things differently and that's to be expected. Davis' final 3 was UK, Syracuse, and tOSU. Interesting final 3. I've heard people speculate that Matta was outbid for Davis. It'd be hard to beat the the 200k that Kentucky offered (according to the Sun times, haha). It's all speculation though and I don't mean to make you angry or anything.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
We obviously see things differently and that's to be expected. Davis' final 3 was UK, Syracuse, and tOSU. Interesting final 3. I've heard people speculate that Matta was outbid for Davis. It'd be hard to beat the the 200k that Kentucky offered (according to the Sun times, haha). It's all speculation though and I don't mean to make you angry or anything.

Ridiculous claims dont make me angry. Matta isnt shady or crooked. He was in on Davis before he shot up in height and before those guys. In case you havent noticed Matta recruits Chicago very well. He's had zero whispers of NCAA violations in the 3 major schools he's been at. He also was clean enough to take over a program in complete disarray from an extremely shady coach. The Davis recruitment was a very clear case of the school who was recruiting him for a long time got outbid by a guy who leaves NCAA violations in his wake.

In case the relationships are in question that he develops, he has an offseason camp for former players and several of them have apts near campus just for that in the summer. The guy truly builds a program and now his coaching tree is proving itself out at other schools.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Ridiculous claims dont make me angry. Matta isnt shady or crooked. He was in on Davis before he shot up in height and before those guys. In case you havent noticed Matta recruits Chicago very well. He's had zero whispers of NCAA violations in the 3 major schools he's been at. He also was clean enough to take over a program in complete disarray from an extremely shady coach. The Davis recruitment was a very clear case of the school who was recruiting him for a long time got outbid by a guy who leaves NCAA violations in his wake.

In case the relationships are in question that he develops, he has an offseason camp for former players and several of them have apts near campus just for that in the summer. The guy truly builds a program and now his coaching tree is proving itself out at other schools.

Really? I find that hard to believe considering his only scholarship offer before he shot up in height was from Cleveland State. It's also documented that his first scholarship offer from a major program was from Syracuse.

And didn't Evan Turner's dad find a job in Columbus during his recruitment which eventually led him to tOSU? Don't get me wrong, Matta has done a fantastic job at tOSU. I wish the Illini had him as our coach. Your perception of tOSU athletics is obviously skewed though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
. Your perception of tOSU athletics is obviously skewed though.

And you are incredibly objective.

Thanks for the zero examples of Matta being shady, once again cementing that you were making baseless claims. I especially enjoyed when you pointed out the OSU had hired Turners dad to an unrelated company when Evan was 10 years old in order to recruit him. You had missed how OSU and Matta got him accepted to a local high school (Ashtabula) and even paid them off to let him graduate in 1978 before Evan was born. Talk about foresight.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
And you are incredibly objective.

Thanks for the zero examples of Matta being shady, once again cementing that you were making baseless claims. I especially enjoyed when you pointed out the OSU had hired Turners dad to an unrelated company when Evan was 10 years old in order to recruit him. You had missed how OSU and Matta got him accepted to a local high school (Ashtabula) and even paid them off to let him graduate in 1978 before Evan was born. Talk about foresight.

That was my mistake. I didn't really do research on that and just posted something I had heard in the past.

I'm still interested to hear how tOSU was in on Anthony Davis before he shot up in height and was in before everyone else though. And please don't talk about baseless claims when you were saying it might not be worth recruiting Jabari Parker because of potential shadiness. I'd like to see some evidence of that too. This is really going to go nowhere.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
That was my mistake. I didn't really do research on that and just posted something I had heard in the past.

I'm still interested to hear how tOSU was in on Anthony Davis before he shot up in height and was in before everyone else though. And please don't talk about baseless claims when you were saying it might not be worth recruiting Jabari Parker because of potential shadiness. I'd like to see some evidence of that too. This is really going to go nowhere.

AS for Parker, its all whispers. However for evidence, how about teams contemplating hiring his HS and AAU coach. Thats shady as f***. Secondly I wouldnt be surprised to see Lola Parker getting a new employer wherever he goes. Where there is smoke there is fire, however its probably not as bad at this point as its going to get, which is why I think Illinois will bow out at some point because Groce wont play those games. Frankly if Illinois DOES get the kid I think that cements that top players can be had out of Chicago without shady bulls***, and I would be very happy for them. It would make the conference ridiculous his freshman year, I mean super super SEC-football type ridiculous.

As for Davis, you guys are all going on when offers were given, which wont support anything that I say so it doesnt matter to argue. Coach Cal came in with his bag of tricks and rode him to a national title.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Kentucky is in on the #1, #2, #7, #22, #25 kids in the country coming down the stretch here. Thats unreal. Once again will give them the best class in the country.

And you can bet that whichever kids go to UK, there will be cries of dirty recruiting. But any kid that chooses a different school was obviously cleanly recruited.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
And you can bet that whichever kids go to UK, there will be cries of dirty recruiting. But any kid that chooses a different school was obviously cleanly recruited.

I'm not sure if you were trying to imply this or not, but it seems like the public's ignorance would be to the second part, not the first part.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)

The way they pluck kids from schools that have been after them longer and probably local points to that every time.

UK already has 2 5 stars and 1 4 star.

#15, #17, #35

Only Gary Harris is ranked higher for the Big Ten. Add in 2-3 of what I posted before and you have one of the best classes in recent history, again.

Last year they brought in ONLY 5 star recruits for the #1 class.

The year before they averaged 4 stars for the #1 class.

The year before they averaged 4.33 stars for the #1 class.

To put that in perspective, the Indiana class that everyone is jacked up about averages 3.60 stars for the #3 class

The OSU class in 2008 average 4.0 stars for #1

Probably the best class in OSU history in 2005 averaged 4.6 stars for #2

The illinois class in 2010 had a 4.33 avg for #11

UK could bring in back to back to back to back #1 classes and this one COULD be their best. Ridiculous

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
The way they pluck kids from schools that have been after them longer and probably local points to that every time.

#15, #17, #35

Only Gary Harris is ranked higher for the Big Ten. Add in 2-3 of what I posted before and you have one of the best classes in recent history, again.

To put that in perspective, the Indiana class that everyone is jacked up about averages 3.60 stars for the #3 class

UK could bring in back to back to back to back #1 classes and this one COULD be their best. Ridiculous

Winning will do that.

#15, #17, #35

Just because McGary is going to Michigan doesn't mean he doesn't count, Rock!

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm not sure if you were trying to imply this or not, but it seems like the public's ignorance would be to the second part, not the first part.

Kind of yeah. Calipari has done a great job creating an NBA pipeline, but I still can't believe he's completely clean, especially at a school as crazed as UK.

But for example, think about tonight. If those top two recruits both select UK, there will be whispers everywhere about them getting paid. But what if they select Geoergetown & UCLA like they have been rumored too? Those whispers will all disappear. Did the kids & their families suddenly get a taste of morality or not need the money all of a sudden? Or did Calipari not offer them money? Something has to give somewhere, people like to point all the fingers at Calipari, but none in the mirror ever. (This is not a comment on a certain school, just a comment on NCAA recruiting in general)

#15, #17, #35

How many of those kids in the past 4 classes are in the NBA right now or about to get drafted?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Just because McGary is going to Michigan doesn't mean he doesn't count, Rock!

He's #21, Harris is #11

If by some miracle Parker commits to OSU he's #20

Sorry should have mentioned im using Scout, since thats what I pay for.

For good measure:

Hallowell 27

Robinson 28

Dekker 30

Perea 33

Yogi 34

Woodbury 51

Hammons 70

Johnson 80

Stauskas 84

Costello 92

Gesell 96

Kaminski 98

Davis 99

Simpson 100

Big Ten top 100 recruits. I bet nobody can guess the schools without looking.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
He's #21, Harris is #11

If by some miracle Parker commits to OSU he's #20

Just depends who you go by, I guess. One of them (ESPN, I think?) rates McGary as 3.

EDIT: You edited your post at the time I posted this. Not fair.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
Just depends who you go by, I guess. One of them (ESPN, I think?) rates McGary as 3.

EDIT: You edited your post at the time I posted this. Not fair.

I usually go:

Scout

Rivals

24/7

ESPN

On anything recruiting.

Rivals has McGary at 30, actually has Robinson at 11 and Dekker at 13. Yogi comes in at 19, Hallowell down at 41 just above Perea

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
I usually go:

Scout

Rivals

24/7

ESPN

On anything recruiting.

Rivals has McGary at 30, actually has Robinson at 11 and Dekker at 13. Yogi comes in at 19, Hallowell down at 41 just above Perea

That's actually my order as well, but I've been seeing McGary's name (either in some random ESPN article or on the bottom line) with a "3" next to it a ton recently, which is why that was in my head.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
That's actually my order as well, but I've been seeing McGary's name (either in some random ESPN article or on the bottom line) with a "3" next to it a ton recently, which is why that was in my head.

Yeah, I feel like I saw that too. Just checked ESPN and they have him down at 27, maybe he fell. They also love Gary Harris and Badger's Dekker.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
I dont know about the IU guys but it pisses me off every time I see Gary Harris and the f***ing MSU logo next to his name.

Eh, it doesn't really bother me, but more because our class was already pretty much set (and oversigning by one for 2012-13) by the time Harris was deciding, so I wasn't expecting to get him. And, he was supposedly an MSU lean for a while anyway.