2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Watford and Zeller back for another year! Zeller is no surprise, but Watford was iffy.

Sweet :)

As much as its hard to say when you are excited about recruits, not all of them are going to be able to step in and play at a high level right away, the depth that he gives you is incredibly valuable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
As much as its hard to say when you are excited about recruits, not all of them are going to be able to step in and play at a high level right away, the depth that he gives you is incredibly valuable.

Exactly! Can you say HUGE?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
If a team loses less than 3 games in conference I would be shocked.

I agree again. Something must be wrong here. lol

Conference will be too tough for anyone to walk through it even mostly unscathed.

Jerrance Howard won't be on the illini staff anymore. It should be interesting how it plays out. If you would have told me a month ago that the illini would hire John Groce and he wouldn't retain Jerrance I would have flipped out. I'm pretty meh about it though. Groce has been extremely impressive thus far. He got James (never going anywhere) and Hill (who could be a 5 star) to stay firm with their commitments. The illini also look like the front-runners for Kenrick Nunn now. Jerrance was great because of his recruiting, but it doesn't appear like he'd be needed as much as he was during the Weber years.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he doesn't end up in Kansas.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I wouldn't be too excited about Kendrick Nunn. Injuries and not really all that consistent.

The bigger part of that is he's best friends with Parker and they want to play in college together. Add to that Parker's recent comments about wanting to stay in-state and Illinois' chances with him go up, up and up. I still think it's a long shot, but they're in a good position with him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
The bigger part of that is he's best friends with Parker and they want to play in college together. Add to that Parker's recent comments about wanting to stay in-state and Illinois' chances with him go up, up and up. I still think it's a long shot, but they're in a good position with him.

Would parker be worth the trouble that could follow? I dont know. I am not sure he makes Illinois the best team in the conference at that point and there are alot of whispers around his recruitment. I hope they dont feel like they have to go all in on him regardless of the trouble that you could get in.

And with Jerrance, I dunno. Do we NEED him for recruiting? No. But he was such a solid guy and proud representative for the school. He's the only link the program has to it's most recent national success. Is there now an issue with alums like Deron Williams because the school fired it's coached and didn't retain one of his best friends/teammates? Hope not...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
And with Jerrance, I dunno. Do we NEED him for recruiting? No. But he was such a solid guy and proud representative for the school. He's the only link the program has to it's most recent national success. Is there now an issue with alums like Deron Williams because the school fired it's coached and didn't retain one of his best friends/teammates? Hope not...

Okafor from Whitney Young just came out and said Illinois is not in top 3 because his main relationship was with Howard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Would parker be worth the trouble that could follow? I dont know. I am not sure he makes Illinois the best team in the conference at that point and there are alot of whispers around his recruitment. I hope they dont feel like they have to go all in on him regardless of the trouble that you could get in.

I haven't heard a single bad whisper about his recruitment, other than the fact that Kentucky is involved. What have you heard? He's with a solid AAU club and his parents are his representatives, not some older brother or handler.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Okafor from Whitney Young just came out and said Illinois is not in top 3 because his main relationship was with Howard.

He's 2014 so still time to make a new relationship, but really I think he was a pipe dream and a dominate post player doesn't really fit into what Groce wants to do.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
He's 2014 so still time to make a new relationship, but really I think he was a pipe dream and a dominate post player doesn't really fit into what Groce wants to do.

Im just saying Howard had alot of those relationships, Groce will go after some athletic big men as he like to play 4 out 1 in. They have to run the floor.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Where'd you read he wasn't in the top 3? I see a report that three other programs are recruiting him the hardest.

It was in the pay scout site. The kid grew 2 more inches though and I fully expect UNC and Duke to ruin it for everyone else.

I'm a little curious about the whispers regarding the Parker recruitment also. I've never heard a bad thing about him. Another thing to note is that Howard was part of a dysfunctional staff that had disagreements on how things should be run. Was he part of the problem? I'm not sure, but I heard that he boosts the players egos quite a bit (which probably helps him recruiting), but it supposedly caused some friction with Paul, Richardson, and Meyers regarding their roles on the team.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
I'm a little curious about the whispers regarding the Parker recruitment also. I've never heard a bad thing about him. Another thing to note is that Howard was part of a dysfunctional staff that had disagreements on how things should be run. Was he part of the problem? I'm not sure, but I heard that he boosts the players egos quite a bit (which probably helps him recruiting), but it supposedly caused some friction with Paul, Richardson, and Meyers regarding their roles on the team.

Yeah my fear was the relationship between Groce and all the freshman, since the freshman were the closest to Howard. But all indications are that everyone has already bought into what Groce is selling.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

I've heard Parker's recruitment is alot like D Rose's. Close family trying to keep things away from the kid himself, but alot of schools trying to give hand outs.

It could always be sour grapes from fans who think Matta's not getting who he wants.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I've heard Parker's recruitment is alot like D Rose's. Close family trying to keep things away from the kid himself, but alot of schools trying to give hand outs.

It could always be sour grapes from fans who think Matta's not getting who he wants.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's sour grapes. A lot of people speculate that he's going to end up at Duke or MSU. Not the dirtiest of programs. I'd think it would be a little shadier if tOSU WAS in the picture (ala Anthony Davis).