General Questions About Baseball

Joxer_Daly

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm a little confused by when, if at all, it's necessary to tag a runner out rather than merely step on the base with the ball in your hand. Double plays or forces are usually started by stepping on second base but it seems to me on attempted steals there's always a tag attempt. Is this because it's seen to be quicker to tag the runner out or is it not permitted to get the runner out by stepping on the base in certain scenarios?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
I'm a little confused by when, if at all, it's necessary to tag a runner out rather than merely step on the base with the ball in your hand. Double plays or forces are usually started by stepping on second base but it seems to me on attempted steals there's always a tag attempt. Is this because it's seen to be quicker to tag the runner out or is it not permitted to get the runner out by stepping on the base in certain scenarios?

You can force a baserunner (or even the batter-runner) out by stepping on the base when he's "forced" to attempt to get to the next base due to the batter putting the ball in play.

A guy stealing isn't being forced to go anywhere, so a tag is required for the out.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
You can force a baserunner (or even the batter-runner) out by stepping on the base when he's "forced" to attempt to get to the next base due to the batter putting the ball in play.

A guy stealing isn't being forced to go anywhere, so a tag is required for the out.

Cheers!

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 07:36 PM)
Cheers!

Just to clarify, I should add that by putting the ball in play, I mean if it forces the baserunner off of 1st base (and the baserunner off of 2nd if there's a guy on 1st, etc).

If there is only a guy on 2nd when a ground ball is hit, he's not forced to go anywhere because no one is on 1st. So if he attempts to advance and there's a possible play on him at 3rd base, that has to be a tag.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
You can force a baserunner (or even the batter-runner) out by stepping on the base when he's "forced" to attempt to get to the next base due to the batter putting the ball in play (hitting a ball on the ground since a flyball doesn't force the runner to run) just to make it clearer.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
Just to clarify, I should add that by putting the ball in play, I mean if it forces the baserunner off of 1st base (and the baserunner off of 2nd if there's a guy on 1st, etc).

If there is only a guy on 2nd when a ground ball is hit, he's not forced to go anywhere because no one is on 1st. So if he attempts to advance and there's a possible play on him at 3rd base, that has to be a tag.

Must've posted seconds before me :)