4/23 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
I thought Manto said they first want to teach their minor leaguers how to hit and make contact, which requires them to be ultra aggressive initially. Once they've worked out any flaws and have mastered their swing, then they want them to become more selective. IIRC, he seemed to imply that it's hard to make adjustments if you're taking a ton of pitches and never swinging the bat.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I thought that was his approach to developing hitters at the minor league level.

Also, Mully & Hanley just said Hawkins has taken 1 pitch in the last week or 10 days. If that's true, it's explains some of that 60% K rate.

That means right now they have him literally doing some sort of intriguing drill in game action. Not sure I've ever heard of that being done before.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
That means right now they have him literally doing some sort of intriguing drill in game action. Not sure I've ever heard of that being done before.

Yeah, I agree with you, but then again I've never heard of a 60% K rate. He literally has to be swinging at every pitch to strikeout that much. Seems like someone has to be telling to him be super aggressive up there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
Yeah, I agree with you, but then again I've never heard of a 60% K rate. He literally has to be swinging at every pitch to strikeout that much. Seems like someone has to be telling to him be super aggressive up there.

That's really bad though too. I can only imagine what kind of bad habits he's learning doing that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
That's really bad though too. I can only imagine what kind of bad habits he's learning doing that.

If this is some kind of drill, which I'm guessing, they're probably doing it to try to alter some other bad habit of his.