The Cotts/Buehrle Situation

Molto

Buehrle wasn't going on three days rest.

Manuel just decided to give Buehrle an extra day off, nothing is wrong with that, especially when there is a good chance Buehrle will be pitching on three days off sometime over the next month.

also, why is everyone talking like Cotts is terrible and Buehrle is a god?

Cotts isn't a terrible pitcher, and even though he's young and wild, he could've just as easily pitched a decent enough game.

just easily Mike Mussina could've pitched a gem, or, hold your breath, maybe even Mark Buehrle would've been hit around.

I think this whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion and just another excuse for fans to complain.

I never seen a manager get jumped on so much for not moving a guy up in August for a game that is no more important than any other.

IF this were against the Royals or Twins, Manuel should be criticized for it because they are big games in big series; no reason to start Cotts when Buehrle is available.  This series with the Yanks was huge, but this game wasn't. because of this, the rotation should stay as is, which it did.

I wouldn't say Cotts is terrible, but he hasn't been good since coming to the majors and IMO should no longer be on the roster. 4 starts is plenty to prove yourself and he's only had one start which I would consider acceptable.

However, the way I see it, by throwing Neal Cotts, we are basically giving this game to the Yankees. If we had lost on Wednesday, there's no way Cotts pitches this game. So instead of going for the kill, we accept the series win and move on. That's the wrong attitude to have IMO. Nothing against Neal, but right now he's nothing special and he wasn't going to beat the Yankees.

I think today's game was bigger than tomorrow's game at Detroit, simply because it's a team we're going to have to face if we want to advance in the playoffs. Buehrle said he was fine to pitch, let him pitch.

You misunderstood. To skip Cotts this week, required both Colon & E-Lo pitch on 3 days rest this weekend. Considering they would get 5 days rest before their next starts it should be workable.

Then pitch him Friday instead of today and leave everyone else the same.

I know a lot of people, even Hawk and DJ, are questioning and complaining of JM's decision to start Neal Cotts over Mark Buehrle.

first off, people are making it seem as though Buehrle was skipped, he wasn't

second, he wasn't "skipped" because of health problems, but because why not give him a day off when you can, especially since there is a good chance he'll be pitching on three days later on.

three, our offense is rolling right now and guess who we face tomorrow? Nate Robertson, anybody know who he is? a guy we've never faced.

in short, we have/had a better shot at scoring runs off Mussina and supporting Cotts as opposed to scoring runs off a guy we never seen before.

also, Buehrle could've pitched today, pitched a great game and take the loss because we are facing Mussina, not a bad pitcher by any means.  so we could lose the game and then have to try to pull off a win with Cotts on the mound, on the road, against a pitcher we've never faced and a team who isn't really good. at least Buehrle going on Friday we have a very good chance of taking two from the Tigers, which is what we need to do each series, win two.

the only reason I would've started Buehrle this game was because he wanted to start it and he deserves that, but all this crap about this being a big game and how it would be smarter would we have done it that way is crap.

:bang :bang :bang :bang Sorry but thats very surprising coming from you, because its absolute CRAP.

Manuel just decided to give Buehrle an extra day off, nothing is wrong with that, especially when there is a good chance Buehrle will be pitching on three days off sometime over the next month.

Cotts isn't a terrible pitcher, and even though he's young and wild, he could've just as easily pitched a decent enough game.

just easily Mike Mussina could've pitched a gem, or, hold your breath, maybe even Mark Buehrle would've been hit around.

I think this whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion and just another excuse for fans to complain.

I never seen a manager get jumped on so much for not moving a guy up in August for a game that is no more important than any other.

IF this were against the Royals or Twins, Manuel should be criticized for it because they are big games in big series; no reason to start Cotts when Buehrle is available.  This series with the Yanks was huge, but this game wasn't. because of this, the rotation should stay as is, which it did.

Molto, you're fighting a losing battle. I agree with you and JM. This is just another excuse for fans to b**** about the manager. Those who know baseball and have been around the game know this was a solid decision. If there is one thing I have noticed on these boards since I've been reading, it's that many fans seem to develop personal vendettas against certain players and managers and can't seem to let it go. Taking the opportunity to give one of your horses an extra days rest late in August when the playoffs are a good possibility is a solid decision. No one is talking about the adverse affect in could have on Buehrle in late September. No one can guarantee we would have won the game if Buehrle pitched. Say they loose the game and now have Cotts and Garland going back to back in Detroit. This team could be staring a 2 or 3 game loosing streak right in the face. Instead, we have Buehrle, Garland and Loaiza going against Detroit and have a great shot at taking 2 of 3, if not sweeping, the Tigers. If you told most people on this board that we were going to go 4-2 on this road trip, most of them would be very pleased. Especially with our struggles on the road and our unexplainable troubles with the Tigers.

EDIT: now all we have to do is go 4-2, but better yet 5-1.

good comments chosk8

and so many people have forgotten the possibility that JM and Copper might have decided that MB needs an extra day -

but that would wreck that "I hate the manager who has us in first and has won us a division championship" conspiracy theorists latest vendetta

Guest hotsoxchick1
but that would wreck that "I hate the manager who has us in first and has won us a division championship" conspiracy theorists latest vendetta

oh now cw.. if you look back in these pages here i have always been a jm backer.....but that decision he made yesterday :rolleyes: .... he was a dumbass for even considering it....... ;)

Molto, you're fighting a losing battle. I agree with you and JM. This is just another excuse for fans to b**** about the manager. Those who know baseball and have been around the game know this was a solid decision. If there is one thing I have noticed on these boards since I've been reading, it's that many fans seem to develop personal vendettas against certain players and managers and can't seem to let it go. Taking the opportunity to give one of your horses an extra days rest late in August when the playoffs are a good possibility is a solid decision. No one is talking about the adverse affect in could have on Buehrle in late September. No one can guarantee we would have won the game if Buehrle pitched. Say they loose the game and now have Cotts and Garland going back to back in Detroit. This team could be staring a 2 or 3 game loosing streak right in the face. Instead, we have Buehrle, Garland and Loaiza going against Detroit and have a great shot at taking 2 of 3, if not sweeping, the Tigers. If you told most people on this board that we were going to go 4-2 on this road trip, most of them would be very pleased. Especially with our struggles on the road and our unexplainable troubles with the Tigers.

If he needed an extra day, why did JM state after the New York game that he'd probably be going to a 4 man rotation? If Buerhle needs all this extra rest, why did he move him up a game, against MB's wishes against Minnesota in May? I just wish this guy was consistent.

I am so glad Mark is pitching vs. Tigers. It seems like this is the same position, coming off a big series win, that we f*** up. We put one of our best in the first game and set the tone.  :headbang

Hmmm, i was before the game started...oh well, leave it to Garland and Loaiza to win the series.

If he needed an extra day, why did JM state after the New York game that he'd probably be going to a 4 man rotation? If Buerhle needs all this extra rest, why did he move him up a game, against MB's wishes against Minnesota in May? I just wish this guy was consistent.

He gave Buehrle an extra day of rest BECAUSE he anticipates the need to possibly go to a four man rotation. And that situation in May means absolutely nothing today. We are in the stretch drive of a battle to win a division.