White Sox Extension Candidates

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
I think Eaton would probably get $12-15 mill a year in free agency. He's a similar player to Ellsbury but probably not overall as talented.

Yeah, that is kind of how I feel. Guys like Carl Crawford (in his big years) and Ellsbury are probably not attainable levels for Eaton. I don't think he has that kind of pop or speed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
I think Eaton would probably get $12-15 mill a year in free agency. He's a similar player to Ellsbury but probably not overall as talented.

Ellsbury had more power and had a far more proven track record. Now is a good time to sign Eaton. He's had one year and still hasn't proven that he can consistently stay on the field. Give him that long-term success at the right price. He wins with the long-term security and we have some upside if he stays healthy and produces like we think he can.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
And yet ALMOST everyone here would be more likely to give a five year deal to Eaton as of today than Avisail Garcia. Four tools or not. To think he's ever going to be a "good or above average" fielder is pushing your luck. He's got good speed, but not in a basestealing or quick outfield jumps type of way...it's more of a 50-80 meters "top speed" after taking a long time to accelerate. In the end, it will come down to plate discipline/contact and hitting 25-35 homers with 30-40 doubles rather than 12-18 homers and 25 doubles.

Both would be huge risks, Garcia to bust entirely and Eaton from a health standpoint.

If someone told me I had to go long-term with one of them, I'm going with Eaton. He might have a higher injury risk but he plays plus defense, is fast, has a good eye, and is a generally good hitter with far less flaws to his game. I also think he brings a ton of value in this new era of baseball vs. Avisail who quite frankly is going to have to be a pretty good hitter to make up for his defensive shortcomings. And at this point, while I like the tools, he has a whole lot to prove about being able to be the above to well above average hitter he's going to need to be to make up for those defensive issues.