2016 "Independent Third Party" Presidential Nominees

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ May 31, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
I believe the public wants to see a third party candidate in the debates. But the establishment will not allow it.

Yup. And like I posted before, if Johnson is on the ballot in all 50 states, he should be allowed to be there.

I was too young, so how did Perot get into those debates? Was the system much looser back then?

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Yup. And like I posted before, if Johnson is on the ballot in all 50 states, he should be allowed to be there.

I was too young, so how did Perot get into those debates? Was the system much looser back then?

The debates used to be run by the League of Women Voters up until 1987, when the Democrats and Republicans founded the Commission on Presidential Debates. They have a threshold of 15% on five major polls in order to be invited to the debate. There may be somewhat widespread support for a "third party," but the specifics of what that third party would represent vary widely so it's unlikely you'll see a third party get to that 15%.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)

It was, and he was polling between 15 to 25% for the election cycle.