New York City

Chi Town Sox

First time going to NYC other than a half day stop when I was young (first time since I've been 21), any recommendations on where to stay (and how to stay at a relatively decent price, which I know is not easy), food, bars, which sites are worth it, which are not, etc. We will be flying into Newark, is the train the easiest way to get to Manhattan. I usually pull Hotwire a few days before hand but does anyone else have any secrets?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a couple consulting gigs in NYC a few years ago, I was there 4 or 5 days a week most weeks for like 6 months.

First, think of NYC as multiple cities. Manhattan is Manhattan, Brooklyn is very different, etc. Most people think of NYC as Manhattan.

That being the case, there is really nowhere inexpensive to stay in Manhattan. I was staying in nice but not super-nice hotels, like the Hilton in Midtown, etc. Depending on time of year, the rate was $400 to $600 a night. You can go a level down, to like a Hampton Inn type place, and do just fine, but still it will cost you $350-$400 a night probably. Just be ready for that.

Food is also expensive, even the simple stuff.

If you are comfortable using a combination of subway and cab to get around, then don't stay in Midtown or Times Square. You can stay in, for example, the Battery, down near the financial district. Less going on, but cheaper stays. And you can still get anywhere on the island pretty quickly via taxi or subway. Chelsea is a nice compromise, a little more going on, a little cheaper than the big spots.

Some of the best places I ate were not the chain places, or the renowned ones, but the local pubs and eateries found on every block of Manhattan. Check Trip Advisor or the like, and find local places near your hotel or the sights you will be seeing. Lots of good places that are only moderately expensive (as opposed to stupidly expensive).

And if you have time, spend an evening over in Brooklyn. Easy train ride or cab or shuttle boat trip, less expensive everything, and IMO, better bars and restaurants unless you are made of money. Less touristy as well.

The good news in, there is one thing that is cheaper in NYC than Chicago - taxi rides. I have no idea why, but they are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I had a couple consulting gigs in NYC a few years ago, I was there 4 or 5 days a week most weeks for like 6 months.

First, think of NYC as multiple cities. Manhattan is Manhattan, Brooklyn is very different, etc. Most people think of NYC as Manhattan.

That being the case, there is really nowhere inexpensive to stay in Manhattan. I was staying in nice but not super-nice hotels, like the Hilton in Midtown, etc. Depending on time of year, the rate was $400 to $600 a night. You can go a level down, to like a Hampton Inn type place, and do just fine, but still it will cost you $350-$400 a night probably. Just be ready for that.

Food is also expensive, even the simple stuff.

If you are comfortable using a combination of subway and cab to get around, then don't stay in Midtown or Times Square. You can stay in, for example, the Battery, down near the financial district. Less going on, but cheaper stays. And you can still get anywhere on the island pretty quickly via taxi or subway. Chelsea is a nice compromise, a little more going on, a little cheaper than the big spots.

Some of the best places I ate were not the chain places, or the renowned ones, but the local pubs and eateries found on every block of Manhattan. Check Trip Advisor or the like, and find local places near your hotel or the sights you will be seeing. Lots of good places that are only moderately expensive (as opposed to stupidly expensive).

And if you have time, spend an evening over in Brooklyn. Easy train ride or cab or shuttle boat trip, less expensive everything, and IMO, better bars and restaurants unless you are made of money. Less touristy as well.

The good news in, there is one thing that is cheaper in NYC than Chicago - taxi rides. I have no idea why, but they are.

When I was looking the difference between midtown and wall street was $100 a night.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
If one wants to spend 2-3 days covering the touristy things on the Manhattan list, is it plausible to stay outside the city, perhaps on the Jersey side, and then commute in?

Sure you can. I've never stayed in NJ, but I have flown in there and took the train or a cab into Manhattan. And I'd have to think hotels are cheaper.

Our two days are pretty planned out already. We have our passes reserved for the 9/11 memorial, tickets reserved for The Comedy Cellar, a class booked at Barry's Bootcamp, and reservations at Candle79 (vegan), Butter (Alex Guarnaschelli), and The Lamb's Club (Geoff Zacarian), and a whole lot of other ideas in between.

I cannot wait.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
When I was looking the difference between midtown and wall street was $100 a night.

Yeah, as I said later in that post, you can stay in the financial district area for cheaper, you just can't as easily crawl home from the bars. Short cab ride, no biggie.

If you do stay down there, avoid the Club Quarters. That room I had there was the weirdest hotel room I've ever stayed in. It was - I kid you not - taller than it was wide. It was the size of a small bedroom, and for whatever reason, had like 15 foot ceilings.

actually, it's more so the sights, I have my food and bars already lined up. Big foodie right here, I'll give you my list of where I will be looking to eat (all types of price points as well). But I would also like any food rec's, Note: I will not be visiting all of these but this is my list as of now

One of the Momofuku’s, this guy is a New York legend

Ippudo for some Ramen

Di Fara (a little far) but this place looks insane, the owner has made every single pizza served there for 40 years by himself.

Minneta Tavern – for the so called “best burger” ever made, the Black Label Burger

Crif Dogs and the speakeasy located next door

Birreria above Eataly – I think I am most excited about this

Shake Shack

Takashi

Papaya King

Ess-A-Bagel

Big Gay Ice Cream Truck

Sushi Azabu

Eleven Madison Park

Lombardi’s/Grimaldi’s

Yes, quite a few were seen on Anthony Bourdain but these places were legit before he was even there

Edited by Chi Town Sox

From Newark, actually I think the busses are super easy. Like $12 or $15 gets you from EWR to Midtown so much faster and hassle free than the train. That said, I've done the train plenty, and that works too. But if you're on vacation, go out to the street and find the sign that says "busses to manhattan every 15 minutes".

And you can definitely stay in Jersey. It'll take you 20 minutes by bus/train/taxi and you'll be in the heart of midtown. a much, much more attractive option if you wanna save some coin.

Personally i HATE times square. I don't really think it gives you anything you can't get in another major city - just with more flashy lights and more annoying people than you can possibly handle. The only thing it's good for is Broadway. GO SEE A SHOW while you're here. There's a lot of great stuff on Bway right now - just steer clear of Spiderman. :P

I've been there a few times on short trips. Once for New Years. My favorite memories come from just walking Manhattan and eating and drinking as you go. We (wife and I) walked from Battery Park to Midtown and went through Soho and Washington Square. It took the better part of a day. I still remember the random restaurant that I could never find again in Soho that served one hell of a brunch. Or walking through Central Park and just taking it in. It's a hell of a place.

I've also been there and planned everything and enjoyed what we did but felt more stressed. NY is crowded. No, I mean it is REALLY crowded. The cabs are great but getting around without leaving time to just relax will become stressfull. On some level you have to plan because restaurants require reservations well in advance but NY is a city you can just walk outside and enjoy.

Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill is good but nothing I'd go out of my way for. Eat at the food carts! Especially when drunk. When I went I was usually staying with my brother and the chicken and rice cart was good stuff.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
I've been there a few times on short trips. Once for New Years. My favorite memories come from just walking Manhattan and eating and drinking as you go. We (wife and I) walked from Battery Park to Midtown and went through Soho and Washington Square. It took the better part of a day. I still remember the random restaurant that I could never find again in Soho that served one hell of a brunch. Or walking through Central Park and just taking it in. It's a hell of a place.

I've also been there and planned everything and enjoyed what we did but felt more stressed. NY is crowded. No, I mean it is REALLY crowded. The cabs are great but getting around without leaving time to just relax will become stressfull. On some level you have to plan because restaurants require reservations well in advance but NY is a city you can just walk outside and enjoy.

Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill is good but nothing I'd go out of my way for. Eat at the food carts! Especially when drunk. When I went I was usually staying with my brother and the chicken and rice cart was good stuff.

totally. cabs suck in midtown. it takes LONGER in a cab than it would just taking the subway. no joke.

and brunch-wise, a little place in the West Village called Good has the best friggin brunch there is. (disclaimer i have not experienced anywhere near all the brunches "there is")

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
actually, it's more so the sights, I have my food and bars already lined up. Big foodie right here, I'll give you my list of where I will be looking to eat (all types of price points as well). But I would also like any food rec's, Note: I will not be visiting all of these but this is my list as of now

One of the Momofuku’s, this guy is a New York legend

Ippudo for some Ramen

Di Fara (a little far) but this place looks insane, the owner has made every single pizza served there for 40 years by himself.

Minneta Tavern – for the so called “best burger” ever made, the Black Label Burger

Crif Dogs and the speakeasy located next door

Birreria above Eataly – I think I am most excited about this

Shake Shack

Takashi

Papaya King

Ess-A-Bagel

Big Gay Ice Cream Truck

Sushi Azabu

Eleven Madison Park

Lombardi’s/Grimaldi’s

Yes, quite a few were seen on Anthony Bourdain but these places were legit before he was even there

The speakeasy connectd to Crif Dogs is Jim Meehan's PDT and I am dying to get there. If you make it there be sure to report back on the experience. Pegu Club, Death and Co., and Employees Only are the other NYC serious cocktail joints I would love to check out.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
If one wants to spend 2-3 days covering the touristy things on the Manhattan list, is it plausible to stay outside the city, perhaps on the Jersey side, and then commute in?

I was only there for for like 4 days and we stayed in Long Island and took the train everyday and it wasnt a problem at all.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
The speakeasy connectd to Crif Dogs is Jim Meehan's PDT and I am dying to get there. If you make it there be sure to report back on the experience. Pegu Club, Death and Co., and Employees Only are the other NYC serious cocktail joints I would love to check out.

My wife and I are thinking of going to see The Book of Mormon or something on Broadway. So these are places I might have to check out if we do.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
My wife and I are thinking of going to see The Book of Mormon or something on Broadway. So these are places I might have to check out if we do.

when are you going? because if you wanna see Mormon, get tickets NOW. It is sold out forever.