Ricketts' father out to take down Obama with what will be termed i

caulfield12

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us/polit...n-obama.html?hp

at best an incendiary campaign and at worst a racist one.

Puts Rahn Emmanuel in an interesting position vis a vis the Cubs.

The club's father's owner is trying to destroy Obama with a campaign that the campaign itself would be ashamed to associate itself, and one which McCain ended up eschewing in 2008 (Jeremiah Wright, liberation theology, linking Obama and to the middle name Hussein and questions about his religion/birth certificate)...

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
This is funny coming from a family who is begging the state and city to subsidize their big-kid playground.

Exactly. I'm sure young Ricketts isn't happy to see that, not that he has any say with Pops.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Oh I'm sure he doesn't care. Vocal tea party member Curt Schilling is asking the state of Rhode Island to fund his struggling game studio. Government welfare is cool if its going to the 'right' people.

Yeah, but I feel like it's a bit different since Obama & Rahm are part of the Chicago machine.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Oh I'm sure he doesn't care. Vocal tea party member Curt Schilling is asking the state of Rhode Island to fund his struggling game studio. Government welfare is cool if its going to the 'right' people.

Not asking. It is a part of the economic package they gave him a couple years ago when he move the company to RI. The state basically gauranteed his loans.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Not asking. It is a part of the economic package they gave him a couple years ago when he move the company to RI. The state basically gauranteed his loans.

He's asking for more now, I posted this article in the video game thread:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7...sland-more-help

It's still hypocritical to be a vocal tea party supporter who's ostensibly against crony capitalism and corporatism and then turn around and take government aid for your own business.

This is a silly strategy (imo). The last thing you want to do is start the fight on religion etc. Because as soon as this campaign comes out, you can go after Romney the same way.

Better for both sides if they stick to worldly issues.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Yeah, I can't see this convincing anyone who isn't already very anti-Obama

The bright sides continue to be: screwing over the Wrigley Field renovations and taking $10 million sitting on the sidelines and turning it into a small economic stimulus by having it be spent.

I just don't see how that 25% of the electorate that's STRONGLY anti-Obama is going to be even more induced to vote...

They're already motivated.

It's always the independent voters who decide elections, and despite the overall unpopularity of many current issues (handling of economy, gas prices, which can't be directly influenced over a matter of days and weeks, the health care mandate, gay marriage, Wall Street bailouts), Obama continues to run 20-30% ahead in terms of the enthusiasm of his party. (Charles Blow wrote a column on this in the NY Times yesterday).

Then you have the huge divides in the women's and Hispanic votes that were opened up in the GOP primary process and will be very tough to walk back.

By all past measures, with the state of the economy being what it is, Romney should be 5-10 points ahead at this juncture, but it's basically dead even and most betting folks are still putting their money on Obama.

Hmm the new articles now say Ricketts' had nothing to do with the plan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-17/r...ttack-plan.html

Joe Ricketts, the founder of what is now TD Ameritrade and the financial engine behind Ending Spending Action Fund, a super-political action committee, “is neither the author nor the funder of the so-called ‘Ricketts Plan’ to defeat Mr. Obama that The New York Times wrote about this morning,” Brian Baker, president of the fund, said in a statement released today.

Terrible press regardless haha

He's the main source of funds for the ESAF, which had this hilarious/depressing plan drafted. I don't think anyone said he was the actual author of it.

Even with the quick attempts to disown this, KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY TAX PAYER-FUNDED RENOVATIONS Ricketts doesn't come out looking good.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
He's the main source of funds for the ESAF, which had this hilarious/depressing plan drafted. I don't think anyone said he was the actual author of it.

Even with the quick attempts to disown this, KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY TAX PAYER-FUNDED RENOVATIONS Ricketts doesn't come out looking good.

Yeah, the Times is standing by their story that it was drafted by a group he funds, so even if he didn't do it directly...he ought to have laundered his money better to keep his name off of this if it was going to be anything political, because this is the end result. It's not like it's that hard.

We have done a post on his statement, and will report further on this.... That said, they're not actually denying anything in our piece. We reported that it was a proposal awaiting final approval. And yes, we certainly stand by our reporting.

The group suggested hiring as a spokesman an “extremely literate conservative African-American” who can argue that Mr. Obama misled the nation by presenting himself as what the proposal calls a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln.”

Loved this part.

So when an Obama PAC decides to run more adfs against the Koch brothers or something highlighting Mitt's Mormonism, or something somebody Mitt once worked with decades ago did or said that was racist or criminal, you all will be b****ing about that too, right? About how bad it is, how out of bounds to be attacking someone not even in the campaign, etc.? Just want to get that straight. The attempted bribing of the pastor to shut his trap by a a friend of Obama who just happens to be on the receiving end of a lot of governmental money is off limits. Got it.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 17, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
So when an Obama PAC decides to run more adfs against the Koch brothers or something highlighting Mitt's Mormonism, or something somebody Mitt once worked with decades ago did or said that was racist or criminal, you all will be b****ing about that too, right? About how bad it is, how out of bounds to be attacking someone not even in the campaign, etc.? Just want to get that straight. The attempted bribing of the pastor to shut his trap by a a friend of Obama who just happens to be on the receiving end of a lot of governmental money is off limits. Got it.

Frankly yeah, I'm going to hate seeing ads about how bad it would be to vote for a Mormon if they do show up, and that ought to be considered out of bounds.