Pick 3

rowand's rowdies

Hahn has been filling every need we have one by one. On this 10 year anniversary of the Rowand's Rowdies and the World Series victory, who are your recommendations (via trade or FA) for these 3 glaring needs?

I for one don't think we need a catching upgrade, at least not yet. Flowers/Brantley/Kottaras should be ok until the summer, then it can be addressed.

We still need:

1) A RH platoon option at DH/1B for LaRoache. If LaRoache sits against LHP, which he should a lot, Abreu can move to DH, but we need a RH 1B then too.

2) A RH platoon option for Conor at 3B.

3) A RH SP Depth Addition

We don't have much $ to spend (or maybe we do?).

Any ideas? There's a lot of baseball knowledge in this community and plenty of us called Shark and LaRoache, let's see how we can do finishing this roster off for a big 2015.

Denorfia was a guy that was mentioned as a potential backup, I like that idea. I think they also need a right handed backup infielder with an aim towards a player how hits left handed pitching as someone who can sub in for Gillaspie.

The Sox will only have 4 bench spots assuming they roll with 7 relievers (which is the norm in today's game). I'm penciling in Brantley/Kottaras in one of those spots and Danks in another. That leaves two spots for what I think should be right handed hitters or, at the very least, guys who can hit left handed pitching. Bonaficio is a guy that does make a lot of sense in that backup role too, but if they sign him, I think it will be after they trade away Viciedo.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Hahn has been filling every need we have one by one. On this 10 year anniversary of the Rowand's Rowdies and the World Series victory, who are your recommendations (via trade or FA) for these 3 glaring needs?

I for one don't think we need a catching upgrade, at least not yet. Flowers/Brantley/Kottaras should be ok until the summer, then it can be addressed.

We still need:

1) A RH platoon option at DH/1B for LaRoache. If LaRoache sits against LHP, which he should a lot, Abreu can move to DH, but we need a RH 1B then too.

Any ideas? There's a lot of baseball knowledge in this community and plenty of us called Shark and LaRoache, let's see how we can do finishing this roster off for a big 2015.

expiring contracts for

1 sp

2 uti

3 trade for a really young cat

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
Denorfia and Valencia were the guys I mentioned in the other thread like this. I'll stick to them. Maybe Alexi Ogando on the starter depth because of his flexibility. I think his agents would be wise to want to deal with a team like the Sox.

Valencia would make a lot of sense. They have no place for him on the Toronto roster. Blue Jays are also the masters of turning nothing-special guys into major successful power hitters (Bautista, Encarnacion). I wonder if they'd think they could do the same with Viciedo. They're going into the season with Justin Smoak as their 1st baseman for god's sake.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 03:43 AM)
Denorfia and Valencia were the guys I mentioned in the other thread like this. I'll stick to them. Maybe Alexi Ogando on the starter depth because of his flexibility. I think his agents would be wise to want to deal with a team like the Sox.

real nice .... i like it, thinking outside the box so to speak.

Valencia and Ogando are two excellent and realistic suggestions.

Is there a 1B out there who mashes LH pitching who could be had?

Free Agency

Adam Rosales is a Maine South Chicago alum who hit .281 in a small sample size vs LHP last season. He can play 3b/1b. Not a good DH option, but maybe a platoon option for Conor?

Gaby Sanchez could be a 1B/DH platoon option. He hit .256 in a small sample size vs LHP last season. Would be cheap but by no means a great option.

JP Arencibia could be another 1B/DH platoon option. His stats are terrible, but the power is there and LaRoache's stats against LHP are terrible anyway. Cheap but not ideal option.

So it's slim pickings in FA, looks like trade is the better option. Any other ideas?

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)

We still need:

I wouldn't do 1). I think they need a good 4th OF who can hit, and he could handle any platoon duties.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 26, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Denorfia was a guy that was mentioned as a potential backup, I like that idea. I think they also need a right handed backup infielder with an aim towards a player how hits left handed pitching as someone who can sub in for Gillaspie.

The Sox will only have 4 bench spots assuming they roll with 7 relievers (which is the norm in today's game). I'm penciling in Brantley/Kottaras in one of those spots and Danks in another. That leaves two spots for what I think should be right handed hitters or, at the very least, guys who can hit left handed pitching. Bonaficio is a guy that does make a lot of sense in that backup role too, but if they sign him, I think it will be after they trade away Viciedo.

I had my eyes on Denorfia for a couple of years now. He can play all 3 OF positions and provide great D, especially in RF. He's hit over .300 against lefties even though he had to play half of his games at Petco from 2010-2013. On days against lefties, he can easily play RF and we can slide Garcia to DH, which improves the lineup both offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't even mind locking him up to a multi-year deal (for as long as LaRoche is on the team). He might have slipped a bit in 2014, but had a 4.0 WAR season as recent as 2013. He's a good buy low guy.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
I had my eyes on Denorfia for a couple of years now. He can play all 3 OF positions and provide great D, especially in RF. He's hit over .300 against lefties even though he had to play half of his games at Petco from 2010-2013. On days against lefties, he can easily play RF and we can slide Garcia to DH, which improves the lineup both offensively and defensively.

I wouldn't even mind locking him up to a multi-year deal (for as long as LaRoche is on the team). He might have slipped a bit in 2014, but had a 4.0 WAR season as recent as 2013. He's a good buy low guy.

sounds like a nice plan, esp getting all the rest to the main core players. its is going

to be a long season for some of those players who never played in the playoff and

longer.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
Honestly, getting all three of those guys at this point would improve the team at least as much as getting Cabrera did, IMO.

but this team only need minor little touches here and there to finish of a great

offseason.

This is my favorite thread in years. I'll be so upset if Hahn lets LaRoche & Gillaspie face LHP this season.

Valencia & Denorfia fit perfectly.

I'd also be open to rolling the dice one last time with Viciedo at DH vs LHP, but would prefer a solid defender like Denorfia to Viciedo's upside (which is now virtually a lotto ticket).

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Is Steve Pearce from BAL a trade target? He crushes LHP. Sell them on the Viciedo will be the next Nelson Cruz dream and throw in some prospects to get it done.

Steve Pearce is a big, big part of Baltimore's plans. No way he's going anywhere.