Everything posted by Balta1701
-
Financial News
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 08:57 AM) Advanced Q4 GDP reading announced - 5.7% growth, Q/Q. 4.7% was the concensus expectation. Futures markets indicate a big open in response. I'm willing to take bets that when it's revised downwards in a month or two that it winds up below 4.7%.
- The Place Name Game
-
SOTU thread
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 08:54 AM) You couldn't care less that he has been, and continues to be, patently dishonest about something he made a major campaign point? I mean, I realize campaign promises are often unfulfilled, but that doesn't mean I am OK with the fact that a President goes beyond just not meeting a promise, and actually lies to say he did. The campaign promise itself was basically meaningless as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter to me whether or not a person hired has worked for a lobbyist if they're qualified for the job; they certainly know the policy if they've been lobbying on it. The question is always the actual policies and the currently active lobbying.
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 08:47 AM) Of course its POSSIBLE the team will give up 80 more runs than last year - but the projections should be what is most likely. You think its most likely that this pitching staff is 80 runs (half a run per game) worse than last year's Opening Day roster? I think the starting staff is better, the bullpen is likely to be similar, and the defense will probably be a little better. Giving up 80 more runs would require all that you mentioned bad to happen, and then some. Does anyone know what PECOTA projected about runs we'd give up last year?
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:30 AM) Agreed. But ya.. this division is that bad. The issue is...are the lower-level teams in the other divisions good enough to pile up the wins against the upper level teams in the Central? That's what you need to win the division with a win total that low.
-
2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:41 AM) Like the Brady Clark that had like 2 good years like 5-6 years ago? Man, I remember when 1/2 this site wanted to trade for him.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:18 AM) He got healthy, that simple really. It's more than that. His jump shot right now is off the charts. He's shooting 51% from the field in January, and 55% over this last stretch of games.
- The Place Name Game
-
Massive Toyota recall/halt in production
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 01:37 PM) Amazing how one technical problem can do so much damage to such an iconic company. One serious concern I have here is how they responded to the initial reports of a problem. They've been denying for at least 6+ months, maybe longer, before I started paying attention, the fact that this specific type of problem, the one causing this recall, existed. They've been saying they see no anomalous patterns of acceleration, that it was all drivers' fault, and then they started off by issuing a recall relating to what appears to be 1/2 the problem; their floormat design, after months of denials. This sounds an awful lot like a classic "What did management know and when did they know it/tobacco isn't addictive/greenhouse gases don't do anything" discussion.
-
Massive Toyota recall/halt in production
For more fun, Congress is now calling for hearings.
-
SOTU thread
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 08:27 AM) This is one of his worst areas so far, and one where he has been nothing short of dishonest. He said no lobbyists in the White House, and hired a bunch. He is truly speaking out of both sides of his mouth on this topic. I couldn't care less about him hiring them. I care about the fact that the paid ones are still the dominant force shaping policy (see: healthcare, banking regulation) and he's unwilling to publicly confront that fact.
-
Financial News
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 08:59 PM) Cloture vote was 73-23. But a couple Senators had holds on his nomination. That's enough to stop the TSA from having a head. And a couple hundred other nominees.
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 08:54 PM) There is no way the division is won with 82 games. "2006 NL Central". Anyway, yeah, you're right.
- SOTU thread
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 06:19 PM) I'd try and unload Salmons for a pick to a team. If we can get a first rounder for Sefolosha, we could get something similar for Salmons. Edit: Rose an all-star. I like. Was holding onto slim hope for Noah too, but he can get Most Improved Salmons is earning a lot more. And I don't know if there's any team with that kind of cap space this year.
- The Place Name Game
-
2010 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 05:41 PM) I'm starting to think he might find his way into the Sox budget. He turned down $6 million. I genuinely am wondering if he might retire. No one is offering him more than that.
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 06:33 PM) Looks stronger to me, but at least AS good. You think its worse by 80 runs? Plus the fact that the starting staff is better, the bullpen would have to be worse by like 100 runs or more. And the defense is probably better too, by swapping JD for Pierre and Fields for Teahen and Wise for Rios.
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 05:31 PM) We need a DH. I hear Vernon Wells would be available.
-
2010 PECOTA
QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 05:26 PM) really only a 79 win ballclub? The only team they have with a worse offense than us is Toronto.
-
2010 PECOTA
How much have we typically outperformed PECOTA? Wasn't it by like 2-3 games on average, or more if you excluded 2007 where we vasltly underplayed it?
-
SOTU thread
The state of our Union is . . . * 2010: Strong * 2008: Strong * 2007: Strong * 2006: Strong * 2005: Confident and Strong * 2004: Confident and Strong * 2003: Strong * 2002: Never been stronger * 2000: Strongest it has ever been * 1999: Strong * 1998: Strong * 1997: Strong * 1996: Strong * 1995: Stronger than it was two year ago * 1994: Growing stronger
- The Place Name Game
-
The Democrat Thread
In light of the recent supreme court decision, a progressive PR corporation from Maryland has announced that it is going to run for congress. I think they'll have a constitutional problem in that they're only about 5 years old, but other than that, if corporations are given all the speech rights as people, I'm not sure why they don't get all of the other rights too.
-
The Place Name Game
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:50 PM) Newark Kiester.