7/12 Games

royoung

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Kanny will be Jimmy Lambert, just promoted from AZL.

2016 5th round pick, had 13 K's and a .172 average against him over 8 innings in the AZL.

The headliner was RHP Nelson Acosta, who was the sixth-youngest player in the league. For a just-turned 17-year-old, he had a solid line: 14 G, 12 GS, 46 IP, 25 H, 28 BB, 36 K, 7 HBP, 7 WP. Achieving an almost-league average 18.7% strikeout rate was a good accomplishment, though his 14.5% walk rate obviously could use some work. Can't ask much more of a guy signed for $50K.

This is from SSS, review of 2014 DSL season.

You can also see the control issues there with the hit by pitch/wild pitch numbers. Seems like he's progressing nicely so far, and still incredibly young for his level of competition.

I realize that the quality of the minor league teams does not reflect the quality of the prospects (teams at all levels, both Sox and others, are replete with org. guys of various sorts).

But man this is one collection of sorry minor league teams. Only Great Falls shows any competence as a team; most are dreadful.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
I realize that the quality of the minor league teams does not reflect the quality of the prospects (teams at all levels, both Sox and others, are replete with org. guys of various sorts).

But man this is one collection of sorry minor league teams. Only Great Falls shows any competence as a team; most are dreadful.

Slight exaggeration, but I see your point. Exception would be Charlotte, of all teams. There have been several call ups/injuries. Davidson, Kev Smith, Anderson, Sanchez, several pitchers. Hayes hurt twice, etc.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
Slight exaggeration, but I see your point. Exception would be Charlotte, of all teams. There have been several call ups/injuries. Davidson, Kev Smith, Anderson, Sanchez, several pitchers. Hayes hurt twice, etc.

Yeah, the real disappointments have been Kanny and BHAM, both of whom I thought would have competitive teams this year.

Charlotte won their first half division, which I believe means they will be in the post-season at least.

Should be 1-3 game playoff (usually sudden death) to eliminate one team if they had different division winners in the 1st and 2nd half...then go on to the championship series.

We had to play Columbus in 1995 (sudden death playoff) on the road against Jaret Wright, and somehow managed to beat him, then wiped out Piedmont (used to be Spartanburg) in the championship series (Phillies).