Robbie head first slide

KipWellsFan

I just saw the play where Robbie bunts and just gets gunned down (Manuel then proceeds to get tossed). What the f*** is he doing headfirst sliding? It's been scientifically proven many times over that that slows you down. But he's such a great veteran that no one would ever tell him that doesn't work. :bang

I just saw the play where Robbie bunts and just gets gunned down (Manuel then proceeds to get tossed).  What the f*** is he doing headfirst sliding?  It's been scientifically proven many times over that that slows you down.  But he's such a great veteran that no one would ever tell him that doesn't work. :bang

If you try to tell him when he's wrong he'll spit in your face. Literally.

they say sliding into first will slow you down, but I personally don't believe it based on experience.

anyway, Alomar's reason for that isn't that he thinks he gets their fasther, actually, his reason for sliding headfirst is because if the throw is off-mark (high), there is no way for the firstbaseman to tag him.

I really don't care either way and I hate how people make such a big deal over it. a player has to feel comfortable and do what is natural to him. Alomar has done it his whole career and is a pretty good player.

one thing though, when you do the headfirst slide, it makes the play look closer than it may really be, which could lead to a call in your favor.

the whole sliding thing is right on the money in that why would outfielders dive.

I always thought sliding headfirst was slightly faster, if not, the same speed, but never thought of it that way, it makes perfect sense.

Sliding FEET first into 1st base slows you down, but diving head first is speedier, it's been proven.

I guess I'd have to see that to believe it. First you have to get into diving position and I'm pretty damn sure that you would be decellerating into the base instead of staying the same speed or a slight acelleration. And lets not forget the drag factor and the injury factor. :lolhitting

I guess I'd have to see that to believe it.  First you have to get into diving position and I'm pretty damn sure that you would be decellerating into the base instead of staying the same speed or a slight acelleration.  And lets not forget the drag factor and the injury factor. :lolhitting

The injury factor is the biggest problem. Alot of shoulders have been disloacted doing this.

I thought that it slowed you down, until I heard him give an explanation that totally changed my views:  If it slows you down, then why do you dive for a fly ball instead of just keep running?  It gets you there faster.

When he said that, I became a believer.

Part of the reason guys dive on a fly ball is that it is easier to get your glove to the level of the ball that way rather than reaching down for it. When you dive of course your going to slow down because you no longer have a force propelling you.