Hot Takes

beautox

first of all is what he doing sustainable? the .375BABIP is going to regress but his BB% & K% are near identical to AAA and his ISO is within the norms of his career at .155

Are we looking at a right handed Ryan Church with better CF defense? or is he nothing more than a bench piece on a post season caliber club?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
I know everyone loves his defense and the numbers are probably good, but I haven't been a big fan. It seems like he's always getting bad jumps. Hopefully, that will improve.

thats fair, I think hes made some amazing plays going back on the ball over his head and he plays pretty shallow. Once he gets adjusted to the show and major league stadiums I think he'll surprise us even more.

Also

here is Engel's Fangraphs page & Ryan Church's fangraphs / bbref

Church didn't have much speed tho did he?...my comp is Drew Stubbs. A guy with pop and speed, but lacks a consistent hit tool to sustain any kind of real long term success as a starter. If we're lucky Engel can capture lightning in a bottle and put together a few good seasons like Stubbs did.

I like his defense and his plate discipline, but I don't think he'll ever hit.

But I'm just biased because I don't like his swing. But that could mean nothing.

Kind of like how I can't stand the way JJ Hardy throws.

Engel is also tied for second on the team (behind Yolmer) with three sac bunts.

Dude is fundamentally sound. I hope they leave him in CF the rest of the season and find out what he can do.

Might end up being a platoon guy who can PR and play late innings defense, but he's homegrown and cheap. Let's find out.