Giants interested in Stanton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Machado will be 26 when he hits FA. A 10 year deal would pay for his age 26-35 seasons. That's unlikely to be a crippling deal. Harper is an even better candidate, but the numbers on him are going to be insane.

I want the Sox to try huge front loaded deal + opt out so you get a guy like Machado (no chance at Harper) for 3-4 years of his prime then let him walk for some other dumb team to sign him at 29-30

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Machado will be 26 when he hits FA. A 10 year deal would pay for his age 26-35 seasons. That's unlikely to be a crippling deal. Harper is an even better candidate, but the numbers on him are going to be insane.

Can't say this wouldn't be a crippling deal without knowing how Machado will age during the second half of that contract. More times than not, teams regret those long term contracts. If the Sox wanted to go five years on Machado, I'm game but if Machado wants to years, I Gilroy's a team other than the Sox.

This is all based on my belief the Sox do have young talent that will become major leaguers a few years down the road. Guys the Sox I'll want to sign to long term contracts. Guys the I'll be younger than Machado is now.

Besides, let's see how Burger plays in '18. By the end of the '18 season we not even care about Machado.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)
Can't say this wouldn't be a crippling deal without knowing how Machado will age during the second half of that contract. More times than not, teams regret those long term contracts. If the Sox wanted to go five years on Machado, I'm game but if Machado wants to years, I Gilroy's a team other than the Sox.

This is all based on my belief the Sox do have young talent that will become major leaguers a few years down the road. Guys the Sox I'll want to sign to long term contracts. Guys the I'll be younger than Machado is now.

Besides, let's see how Burger plays in '18. By the end of the '18 season we not even care about Machado.

A lot of the 10 year deals given out are to guys like Cano and Pujols when the player is 30/31.

Edited by soxfan2014

I think as an organization, if you have a chance to acquire the best power bat in MLB you do it. Now what is the cost? I'd have to look at his contract and opt outs, but $30mm for him? I think I'd do it. He's young enough - though I feel like a bit injury prone. But as someone said you'd have him during his prime over the next 3-5 years right when the Sox are going for it. Imagine THAT bat at Comiskey... protecting Abreu who is getting on base non stop...

All else equal ... if you said I have $300mm to spend on ONE FA or trade? I'd go:

Machado

Arenado

Stanton

However the caveat there is that Machado and Arenado are not guarantees ... the hope is that $300mm gets the job done ... but you'll have Philly, SF, NYY, etc. etc. all in play for these guys.

I personally take Stanton. Now if they eat $50mm? I'd throw in almost anybody outside our top, top guys.

Think about this lineup .... and also think about how quickly this rebuild is almost complete with this scenario... let's just say 2019 Opening Day.. forgive me for the lineup construction ... may be off

CF - Rutherford

1B - Abreu

DH - Stanton

2B - Moancada

LF - Avi Garcia

RF - Robert

3B - Burger

C - Collins

SS - Anderson

I mean... have fun getting thru that lineup as a pitcher. Yes that lineup is unorthodox -- at the same time this scenario won't ever happen so who cares... I like putting the best hitters up in the order more. Abreu protected by Stanton who is protected by Moncada (who should be improved)? That's scary.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
I think as an organization, if you have a chance to acquire the best power bat in MLB you do it. Now what is the cost? I'd have to look at his contract and opt outs, but $30mm for him? I think I'd do it. He's young enough - though I feel like a bit injury prone. But as someone said you'd have him during his prime over the next 3-5 years right when the Sox are going for it. Imagine THAT bat at Comiskey... protecting Abreu who is getting on base non stop...

All else equal ... if you said I have $300mm to spend on ONE FA or trade? I'd go:

Machado

Arenado

Stanton

However the caveat there is that Machado and Arenado are not guarantees ... the hope is that $300mm gets the job done ... but you'll have Philly, SF, NYY, etc. etc. all in play for these guys.

I personally take Stanton. Now if they eat $50mm? I'd throw in almost anybody outside our top, top guys.

Think about this lineup .... and also think about how quickly this rebuild is almost complete with this scenario... let's just say 2019 Opening Day.. forgive me for the lineup construction ... may be off

CF - Rutherford

1B - Abreu

DH - Stanton

2B - Moancada

LF - Avi Garcia

RF - Robert

3B - Burger

C - Collins

SS - Anderson

I mean... have fun getting thru that lineup as a pitcher. Yes that lineup is unorthodox -- at the same time this scenario won't ever happen so who cares... I like putting the best hitters up in the order more. Abreu protected by Stanton who is protected by Moncada (who should be improved)? That's scary.

Oh s***. I forgot our best hitting prospect in there! Eloy .... holy crap. Just add him in I guess over Avi? Or ... something... Maybe shift Robert to CF and then Eloy to RF and Rutherford to LF? See this is what I'm talking about... just in my head I'm thinking Christ.. how scary is that.... Eloy, Abreu, Stanton, Moncada - back to back to back to back....