Arizona Fall League Preview - White Sox prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
Could one argue that if Zavala and Collins both start in Birmingham, they could share catching and be the primary dh on the other night. They both get full bat development. One other thing might be on the day a player is going to dh, you could do extensive defensive drill work as you know he won't be catching. I could see that defensive work being useful and normally not able to be done due to wearing out the player. If after 6 weeks if one is clearly ready to move up, as the job share isn't working or has served its purpose, then you could move the most deserving up. It may also allow your minor league catching guru/rover to work with the two biggest catching prospects without having to travel.

For a short period I think that's fine. For longer, I'd say no, because both of them need work on aspects of their defensive game. They need to be behind the plate nearly every day.

I think the smart move is to do more or less what they did last year, but a level up. Collins in AA and Zavala in High A to start. Ideally, Collins does well, and in June you move both up a level. If Collins stalls and Zavala is good, move him up and parallel them for a short while. Either way, you can get Zavala to AA pretty quick, and that's fine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic