More Sox Managerial names

winninguglyin83

Bob Nightengale, who allegedly talks with Kenny Williams on occasion and praises him often in print, throws three new names into the discussion in the new issue of USA Today sports weekly:

1. Paul Molitor

2. George Brett

3. Robin Yount

I believe Molly and Yount are coaching somewhere. Think Brett is in the front office with the Royals.

Have a hard time imagining Brett doing it. But Molitor usually gets good reviews and was mentioned as a possibility with the Twinkies if Gardenhire had bombed. Not sure about Yount.

Just throwing it out there.

Nightengale also includes Buddy Bell and Cito Gaston on his list -- but not Ozzie Guillen

Ozzie was getting a lot of love on ESPN today from Sutcliffe and Gwynn for the way he had the Marlins running the bases aggressively.

and he's been telling the Florida media he would like the job

In many ways, it makes sense, especially if the Sox are keeping everybody but Kimm on the payroll

Bingo. Ozzie would be a fan and media favorite, he has played for the sox, and he is a minority.

I think Ozzie has potential. Played shortstop so he was always involved in the game. Be good in the PR aspects of the job.He's Latin-American -- and the Sox have a number of Latin players. And he's got an aggressive, upbeat personality, a pretty strong contrast with Manuel.

With Nossek and Cooper and Walker around, I'm not worried about managing the game. My question would be his ability to get guys to A) play hard every night and B) get them to play the game the right way.

Some people are touting him as a Tony Pena on training wheels.

The thing is when Jerry got here he was a breath of fresh air.  He wanted his guys running the bases, bunting and moving runners over.  Then he abandoned all of those ideas for the 3 run HR.

Yeah I heard him talk about that and he said he was adjusting to the American league style. In retrospect, big mistake. Seattle and Minnesota do just fine with an NL style.

With much different personnel.............

JMHO here, but I think we could do that very easily. You telling me Alomar, Lee, Ordonez, Everett, Valentin, and Olivo couldn't steal the bases, play aggressively, and become better baserunners overall? That we couldn't have gotten Rowand, Graffy, and Harris involved in the game more? Or thar more bunting couldn't have happened? How about the hit-and-run? We could have done a ton of those things more often...and I didn't even scratch the surface of NL style of play.

It's all a matter of execution. We couldn't do it very often, because we didn't try it very often.

JMHO here, but I think we could do that very easily.  You telling me Alomar, Lee, Ordonez, Everett, Valentin, and Olivo couldn't steal the bases, play aggressively, and become better baserunners overall?  That we couldn't have gotten Rowand, Graffy, and Harris involved in the game more?  Or thar more bunting couldn't have happened?  How about the hit-and-run?  We could have done a ton of those things more often...and I didn't even scratch the surface of NL style of play.

It's all a matter of execution.  We couldn't do it very often, because we didn't try it very often.

I know I am simplifying this, but if our players just tried to hit line drives and go the other way and move runners over, i can almost guarantee you that we would be in the playoffs right now. These players are capable.

JMHO here, but I think we could do that very easily.  You telling me Alomar, Lee, Ordonez, Everett, Valentin, and Olivo couldn't steal the bases, play aggressively, and become better baserunners overall?  That we couldn't have gotten Rowand, Graffy, and Harris involved in the game more?  Or thar more bunting couldn't have happened?  How about the hit-and-run?  We could have done a ton of those things more often...and I didn't even scratch the surface of NL style of play.

It's all a matter of execution.  We couldn't do it very often, because we didn't try it very often.

I know I am simplifying this, but if our players just tried to hit line drives and go the other way and move runners over, i can almost guarantee you that we would be in the playoffs right now. These players are capable.

It's true.

My dad still can't believe the Twins are in the playoffs and the Sox choked like they did against Minny. I then explained to him that he didn't see the swing the Sox were putting on the balls.

He was in Washington at the time.

Bob Nightengale, who allegedly talks with Kenny Williams on occasion and praises him often in print, throws three new names into the discussion in the new issue of USA Today sports weekly:

1. Paul Molitor

2. George Brett

3. Robin Yount

I believe Molly and Yount are coaching somewhere. Think Brett is in the front office with the Royals.

Have a hard time imagining Brett doing it. But Molitor usually gets good reviews and was mentioned as a possibility with the Twinkies if Gardenhire had bombed. Not sure about Yount.

Nightengale also includes Buddy Bell and Cito Gaston on his list -- but not Ozzie Guillen

Damn I'd like any of those guys. They were the kind of players this team needs and I think they would be able to come in and immediately get the players respect.

It's true.

My dad still can't believe the Twins are in the playoffs and the Sox choked like they did against Minny. I then explained to him that he didn't see the swing the Sox were putting on the balls.

He was in Washington at the time.

Why so hard to believe? The Twins had the best record in baseball after the all-star break.

1. Paul Molitor

2. George Brett

3. Robin Yount

Damn I'd like any of those guys. They were the kind of players this team needs and I think they would be able to come in and immediately get the players respect.

FWIW and that may be nothing, but I have heard from multiple directions that George Brett is an all-out asshole.

I think Molitor could be an excellent choice, but you would get the baggage along with him.

One last question... Not to take anything against Molitor, because he was a great player and I loved the way he played the game, but he has no managerial experience. Wally Backman had a 14-yr. MLB career, was a similar type player in terms of scrappiness and dedication, has managed in the Minors in the Sox system and won many more games than his teams' talent should have allowed. So why would Molitor be any better of a manager than Backman??