Non-roster invitees

Pat M.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 01:07 PM)
ok................but why?

Maybe they like him. They really don’t have a ton of middle infield depth for spring training games. I’m sure he and Rondon will be getting decent playing time after the 5th/6th innings.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 10:27 AM)
What's the relevance in this comment when talking about how he is now or if he can toss a career year?

The relevance is stating I've followed his career since he was 16. I think that qualifies me to give an opinion over the guy who couldn't spell Swarzak. I don't get why you would try and be keyboard hero for no reason. I've followed him with more interest than anybody on this board. Can you give me a reason why you think he'll be a candidate like Swarzak?

Can anybody else on this board tell you off the top of their head about him being drafted by the Yankees, playing at Bradley, having surgery, his draft status, his time with the Rockies, Pirates, Brewers? Do I need to go on? This board is so annoying sometimes.

So like I said, he's got some heat on his fastball, but saying he's going to somehow turn into a flippable arm in 3 months time isn't happening. He's got less than a 50% chance making the team. Will probably be called up and sent down a few times throughout the year based on injury and likely is picked up by another team before 2018 is up.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
The relevance is stating I've followed his career since he was 16. I think that qualifies me to give an opinion over the guy who couldn't spell Swarzak. I don't get why you would try and be keyboard hero for no reason. I've followed him with more interest than anybody on this board. Can you give me a reason why you think he'll be a candidate like Swarzak?

Can anybody else on this board tell you off the top of their head about him being drafted by the Yankees, playing at Bradley, having surgery, his draft status, his time with the Rockies, Pirates, Brewers? Do I need to go on? This board is so annoying sometimes.

So like I said, he's got some heat on his fastball, but saying he's going to somehow turn into a flippable arm in 3 months time isn't happening. He's got less than a 50% chance making the team. Will probably be called up and sent down a few times throughout the year based on injury and likely is picked up by another team before 2018 is up.

What odds that Swarzak would have been a flippable arm? 5%? 2%?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:16 PM)
What odds that Swarzak would have been a flippable arm? 5%? 2%?

I mean, you are completely right. Anything is possible and I cheer for him to do great - it's a cool story from my hometown. I am just very skeptical when people expect just because Coop and Duncan are aboard that every project could be great.

I personally hope he does do great and is part of the team to come - it's just my personal opinion playing with him since little league (not saying that means a thing in terms of skill - obviously players develop .... I mean that as someone who watched his career for that long) that I see him more as organizational depth.

I think his best way to stick on the team is in a long relief/mop up roll. Otherwise I think he'll be a 30IP guy who bounces between AAA and Majors and susceptible to being picked up off of waivers.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 09:08 AM)
I mean, you are completely right. Anything is possible and I cheer for him to do great - it's a cool story from my hometown. I am just very skeptical when people expect just because Coop and Duncan are aboard that every project could be great.

I personally hope he does do great and is part of the team to come - it's just my personal opinion playing with him since little league (not saying that means a thing in terms of skill - obviously players develop .... I mean that as someone who watched his career for that long) that I see him more as organizational depth.

I think his best way to stick on the team is in a long relief/mop up roll. Otherwise I think he'll be a 30IP guy who bounces between AAA and Majors and susceptible to being picked up off of waivers.

It doesn't make anything absolute, and no one ever said it did. But you can't deny that this organization, led by Don Cooper, has a great history of turning out arms into usable parts like almost no one else in baseball does. You play to your strengths and this is it. It isn't going to work every time, but in a world of finite resources for this rebuild, you invest in what you do best when it comes to the flyers you take.