My Dream Team for 2004

WHarris1

I'd like to see a better closer.

One big problem, how many teams are lining up asking KW about Koch? He has zero trade value. Maggs will get you something but I'd rather hang on to Maggs than trust KW to get the right guy.

Koch is untradeable.

Too bad there's not another idiot GM out there like KW huh?

Two words. Dan Evans

The team from the 1st post would be very good. I second the idea of Castillo and Cabrera up the middle(I have been saying that for about the past week). Some minor changes that I would make to YOUR DREAM TEAM are the following. Replace Harris with Rowand. By your name I assume that you are a big Harris fan, but he has yet to show that he can hit major league hitting and looks more like a utility IF/OF off the bench. I think you should let both Alomars and Graffy walk. There is no reason to spend that much money on a bench when you can get similar production for younger players from within the Sox minor league system(Miles, Gload, Burke, Rivera, ect). Your team would be a little too much for JR liking, but not TOO unrealistic. It would also have enough talent to win 90+ games and possibly go far in the playoffs. Getting rid of Konerko and Koch will be hard to do. I have a bad feeling that Koch will be back no matter what unless the Sox pay at least half of his salary AND get little in return. Trading Konerko is a little more likely, but they might also have to pay some of his salary AND get little in return.

"10-12 mill for your up the middle combo (It could be less..I've heard a few reports saying Cabrerra is gonna get between 3/4 so ti would be a no brainer to sign him at that). I assume Castillo gets more like 5-6. Couldn't see him getting more. "

I think Cabrera will cost 5-6M/yr and Castillo will make 6-7M.yr. Casillo and Cabrera up the middle will probably cost 12M/yr. Cabrera is the guy that teams who cant afford Matsui and Tejada will go after which should up his value. Castillo will out a doubt is the best 2B on the market.

"Thomas -6 mill"

Assuming he takes his 6M/yr option. If he wants his 8M/yr option, than he might be gone.

"Lee - 5 mill"

Lee will probably get at least 6M/yr after the year he had.

"Everett - 5 mill"

No way do you get Everett for 5M/yr. He got 9M/yr this year, and while that is more then he is worth. He will probably get at least 8M/yr on the open market.

"Colon - 12 mill"

I dont think Colon will be back with his agent saying he is looking for 13-15M/yr. Besides I think it would be a better investment to sign LHernandez for about 6M/yr. He put up almost identical numbers to Colon last year. I think it was a career year for him, but his 4.20 career ERA is respectible and he is a workhorse just like Colon. That will save you about 6M/yr to invest in other areas(the middle infield that everyone wants, maybe resigning Everett, improving the pen).

After thinking it over this is the lineup I would like to see.

1) Castillo 2B(6M/yr)

2) Cabrera SS(5M/yr)

3) Lee LF(6M/yr)

4) Everett RF(8M/yr)

5) Konerko DH(8M/yr)

6) Spiezio 1B(3M/yr)

7) Crede 3B(500K/yr)

8) Rowand CF(500K/yr)

9) Olivo C(500K/yr)

1) Buehrle LH(3M/yr)

2) LHernandez RH(6M/yr)

3) Loiaza RH(3.5M/yr)

4) Garland(1M/yr)

5) Shoey(1M/yr)

1) Hawkins RH(4M/yr)

2) Koch RH(6M/yr) - impossible to move his contract with the number of quality relievers on the market

3) Marte LH(1M/yr)

4) Wunsch LH(1M/yr)

5) Ginter RH(500K/yr)

6) Wright RH(500K/yr)

1) Miles IF(500K/yr)

2) Harris IF/OF(500K/yr)

3) Burke/Rivera C(500K/yr)

4-5) Either from the minors or cheap FA(1M/yr combined)

I figure that this team would cost about 64-65M/yr which is realistic. I would love to get rid of Konerko and/or Koch, but I think it is near impossible to do it without receiving a big contract in return and/or eating some of their salary. Plus you aren't going to get much in return, so I think the Sox best chance is to keep both and hope that they revert back to their old ways. I think the Sox should trade Maggs and get 2 or 3 very good prospects in the upper minors(at least 1 of which being a starting pitcher. The offense wont have as much power, but Cabrera and Castillo improve OBP and speed, which are 2 areas that are really lacking. You still have possible 5 20+ HR hitters in the middle as well. LHernandez would be a SLIGHT decrease from Colon AND Loiaza will probably slide some, but the Sox should get a SLIGHT increase from Garland and Buehrle AND a DRASTIC increase from the 5th spot with Shoey. The defense would be one of the best in the game. The bullpen could improve drasticly IF Koch can find his old self. I just wish JR would take a chance and increase the payroll to about 70M/yr, so the Sox could put enoguh talent on the field to win. The current roster just needs a little tinkering, but with a 60M/yr limit it is hard to find all the right pieces. In reality look for the Sox to be active in trades, but not that active on the FA market. I have a feeling a few big salaries will be traded. We will have to wait and see. Thats the fun of the offseason.

I got one question

What if Thomas accepts his $6 mill option(which I think he will)? What happens to your lineup then? :huh:

I'd like to see a better closer.

One big problem, how many teams are lining up asking KW about Koch? He has zero trade value. Maggs will get you something but I'd rather hang on to Maggs than trust KW to get the right guy.

Koch is untradeable.

Too bad there's not another idiot GM out there like KW huh?

Two words. Dan Evans

KW is an Albert Einstein compared to that guy.

Does anyone know where Matsui is going?

CWSOX45

I think it's safe to say that it won't be Chicago's SouthSide

Yeah no kidding. Looks like Kenny will just wait to see who signs him and than trade for the back up of that team, (a la Royce Clayton)

CWSOX45

"I got one question

What if Thomas accepts his $6 mill option(which I think he will)? What happens to your lineup then?"

I highly doubt he will take the 6Myr option. A guy that hit 42 HR's and posted a .952 OPS is worth more then that on the open market. I also have a feeling that the Sox wont give him his 8M/yr if he wants that. However, IF he does accept the 6M/yr option then you trade Konerko. Personally, I would rather have this senerio happen because it would probably save the Sox 2M/yr(assuming that the Sox can get rid of Konerko without receiving a big salary in return OR having to pay some of his contract) AND give them a better offensive player. The lineup would remain the same, just insert Thomas for Konerko in the 5th hole. Not a huge problem, but like I said before it is highly unlikely that he will take the 6M/yr option.