Harper actually loved his meeting w/ the Sox

soxfan49

4 hours ago, Richie said:

Now, take out half for taxes and his agent. The money undoubtedly sets you up for life. But it's not to the point where 40 mil doesn't make a difference. He could want to open up businesses when he's done, he could want to set his kid's lives up with a trust fund, etc. 

We all try to optimize our earning potential within our given profession. Whether that's as a bartender or a successful big business owner. I'll never understand why athletes doing so makes them any less of a human being. 

There's also nothing that says he would have RATHER been here. He simply says he "liked it" here. People "like" job opportunities that they pass up in favor of another all of the time.  

And again, I'm not saying 40M isn't huge, but when it's in the grand scheme of 330 vs 290? He could set up businesses with 290 and trust funds with 290. Hell, you can do that with 40M straight up. Look at all of the pro athletes who played in eras where they didn't come close to that much. I was in Tampa recently and Lee Roy Selmon has a restaurant chain there and that pays him handsomely.

What you touched on is the kicker. "Liking it" isn't good enough. If he liked both organizations equal and one offers 40M more, you go where the 40M is and clearly that was the case. I do think he likely makes up that 40M easily playing here than there, but maybe he didn't want to worry about all of that off of the field.

Edited by soxfan49

10 hours ago, Tony said:

If I was ever in that situation, I'd look at it as "It's difference between Harpers in 2150 having money and Harpers in 2200 having money" 

If 40 million is the difference between the Harper's having money in 2150 but not 2200, then the Harper's circa 2150 really f***ed up 

Bryce could do a 10 pay whole life insurance policy now for $100M death benefit that'd pay out $230M some day when he dies. There are plenty of ways to make up that difference

But again, he would've had to LOVE the Sox pitch and "just liked" the Phillies'. I was just playing devils advocate

Edited by soxfan49