White Flag, 2022 Version

bmags

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I fail to see the sliding doors trade in 2005 that would have led to them losing the World Series opportunity, and also would have made the post World Series run much worse. 1 ALDS loss would have been compromised oh noes

I never thought I'd see the Soxtalk misery machine aimed backward at the 99-win, 11-1 postseason, world champion 2005 White Sox season but then the last few years have changed my expectations about the feasibility of a lot of things.  So what the hell -- thanks a lot for that trade deadline, Kenny, our trophy could have been shinier!

6 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I never thought I'd see the Soxtalk misery machine aimed backward at the 99-win, 11-1 postseason, world champion 2005 White Sox season but then the last few years have changed my expectations about the feasibility of a lot of things.  So what the hell -- thanks a lot for that trade deadline, Kenny, our trophy could have been shinier!

I’m sorry you are jumping in late and it hurt your feelings. Someone implying Sox fans have no right to advocate for a .500 team to improve at the deadline because people also wanted the 2005 Sox to improve at the deadline and they still won a World Series is making a dumb argument. Especially given that people weren’t wrong to advocate for making improvements in 05 - it was a special year no one wanted to waste. Thankfully nearly all the pitchers kept up their pace.

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m sorry you are jumping in late and it hurt your feelings. Someone implying Sox fans have no right to advocate for a .500 team to improve at the deadline because people also wanted the 2005 Sox to improve at the deadline and they still won a World Series is making a dumb argument. Especially given that people weren’t wrong to advocate for making improvements in 05 - it was a special year no one wanted to waste. Thankfully nearly all the pitchers kept up their pace.

Except that not making any big name moves is not equivalent to white flag. \thread

1 hour ago, bmags said:

My feelings are ok, not sure how one can jump in “late” in a 1.5-page thread, and while I appreciate your attempted reframing, the exchange is pretty clear.  Someone pointed out that Soxtalk complainers complained about the 2005 deadline move and said the team wasn’t good enough.  You jumped to those 2005 complainers’ defense:

“16.5 game lead too, nearly lost our lead and our fifth starter ran out of gas. Fans were right then too, always are, vs the people that pump sunshine into this shit group.”

Saying fans were “right” to doubt the sufficiency of the 2005 Sox roster and deadline moves — when that team went on to win 99 games, dominate the playoffs, and win the World Series — is absurd.  (Let alone the suggestion the fans “always are” right.  Ha!)  In fact, it’s as close to indisputably wrong as you can get on a baseball message board.

I'm fine with the front office doing almost nothing at the trade deadline.  This team doesn't deserve to be saved from itself.  At this point, there are no more excuses.  They have the ability to play better, to play smarter, to manage better and smarter, etc.  Success and failure is completely up to them.