Are the Sox actually building a respectable Latin American operation?

southsider2k5

I think the individual scouting is really strong. I think this team really needs to have a top international program to overcome it all though and not sure it’s more than slightly above average since about 2018.

But, it’s way better. Our first intl classes under paddy struggled to get out of Arizona. Now you have the penalty classes under Robert turning out players like Jose Rodriguez.

It has really started churning out depth in a way it did not for years. Now with Mena, Vera we are seeing pitching depth too.

Houston’s rotation is full of older, unsung pitchers. That has been Paddy’s waters for years.

With better luck and player dev, we may see some movement there too.

All good things, but if I was Hahn I’d give paddy a much bigger operation, he’s been the best return so far.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Presumably though that includes Abreu?

https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/3/2/21159697/value-generated-by-white-sox-international-signings?_ga=2.11346740.1068181808.1672255323-1099104242.1672255323

Yes. If we are moving the goals posts from the OP statement about recent success because of minor leaguers to how the Sox have done from 1990 -2019 the Sox were credited with the most of their WAR in that period from Ordonez and C. Lee since their careers are done.

They get a boost from Abreu who they paid $68M for. They had a period from 2005 to 2007 with Iguchi (2005), Escobar (2006) and A. Ramirez (2007)

Basically you can create any parameter.   We can remove the crazy money signings from all teams and then see how it shakes out. You can do it by age groups too I suppose if anyone had the time or info. You can probably divide it with current rules which wouldn't show much for most teams since those rules haven't been in place that long. Or you could even count WAR per money spent and have all kind of different positions teams would be.

Since the OP asked if the Sox are currently building a better system with IFA's the answer is basically indeterminable or no since it's still too early to tell. Even Robert signing for big bucks hasn't moved the needle much since he's been injured so much but his 6.6 fWAR total would be more than some .

Touting minor leaguers is one thing but who rises to MLB and actually produces any WAR is another. Carson Fulmer and Zack Collins were ranked top 75 prospects at one point so the proof will be in the future pudding.