Sox 2003 draft report card

aboz56

Thought this would be of interest to posters, especially those who follow the minor leagues closely:

Best Pro Debut: OF Ricardo Nanita (14) finished second in the Rookie-level

Pioneer League batting race, hitting .384-5-37 with 11 steals. The White Sox' first

four picks all topped .300, with the biggest surprise being SS Robert Valido (4),

who hit .307-6-31 with 17 steals in the Rookie Level Appalachian League.

Best Athlete: Brian Anderson (1) and Ryan Sweeney (2) are five-tool outfielders

who have shown potential on the mound. Anderson threw 92-93 mph as a freshman at

Arizona, while Sweeney pitched at 88-92 last spring and drew legitimate interest

as a lefthanded pitcher. Anderson runs a little better and has a better chance

to stick in centerfield.

Best Pure Hitter: Sweeney's bat speed, swinging plane and approach should

allow him to produce for both power and average.

Best Raw Power: Anderson can launch 400-foot line drives. OF Clint King

(3) gets nice loft with his swing.

Fastest Runner: The White Sox went for power more than speed. Valido is the

best runner, rating a 55 on a 20-80 scale.

Best Defensive Player: Valido has all the tools to be an outstanding shortstop.

His instincts and range allow him to cover lots of ground, and he has soft hands

and a strong arm.

Best Fastball: Chicago signed three strong arms out of the state of Texas.

RHP John Russ (8) pitches at 90-92 and topped out at 96 during the spring. RHP's

Matt Nachreiner (5) and James Casey (7) both throw 91-93, and Nachreiner achieves

Derek Lowe-like sink on his fastball. Draft-and-follow RHP Fernando Hernandez (49

in 2002) is just 5-foot-11, but generates 92-96 mph heat.

Best Breaking Ball: Russ' curveball has been compared to Mike Mussina's.

But for all his stuff, he doesn't miss many bats. He gave up more than a hit per

inning at Frank Phillips (Texas) JC, then allowed a .301 opponent average in the

Pioneer League.

Most Intriguing Background: LHP Greg Moviel (15) and RHP Paul Moviel (36)

are brothers. Greg, who already has a 90-92 mph fastball and is projectable at

6-foot-7 and 225 points, turned down the White Sox for Vanderbilt.

Closest To The Majors: Anderson, though he was set back by needing his second

wrist surgery in the last year. He should be 100 percent by spring training.

Best-Late Round Pick:Nanita. LHP Fraser Dizard (10) would have gone much

higher had he not hurt his elbow in 2002 and pitched poorly last spring. When he's

right, Dizard commands a 88-92 mph fastball, a plus changeup and an average curveball.

The One Who Got Away: LHP Donald Veal (12), SS Wes Hodges (13) and Greg Moviel.

Veal, who decided to attend Arizona, reminded some scouts of Dontrelle Willis.

Hodges, now at Georgia Tech, slid when his power was muted by a broken hamate bone

last spring.

Assessment: The White Sox were short on position player prospects before

this hitter-heavy draft. Scouting director Doug Laumann's reward? Getting reassigned

for political reasons.

Great info, thanks for posting it.

I always cringe when I read about these guys they didn't sign, but you can't sign every guy I suppose.

As for Valido ... hurry up and mature, we need you!!!

Fastest Runner: The White Sox went for power more than speed. Valido is the

best runner, rating a 55 on a 20-80 scale.

Why am I not surprised by this? As if we don't have enough slow power hitters on our roster. I did think it was a good draft though. Thanks for the articl aboz, it was a good read.

this hitter-heavy draft.  Scouting director Doug Laumann's reward? Getting reassigned

for political reasons.

If anyone has any information on this part, please elaborate. Thought maybe either Jas or Rex would know something about this, I'm interested to know.

There was a post about this maybe a month or six weeks ago ...

Laumann wanted to discipline one of the scouts, a cross checker, and was told not to do it (basically overruled) by White Sox "brass". The scout either had some clout with the front office, or the front office felt the discipline was unwarranted.

Laumann refused to back down, so the story goes, and was demoted.

As for who the White Sox "brass" was, it's unclear whether it was Ken Williams, Duane Shafer, Bob Fontaine, or one of the other higher ups.

Laumann played Russian Roulette and lost, it appears.

Here's the article. I'll post it in it's entirety because it's in the subscriber section of BA's online site.

Also, a side note to ABOZ, I found the picture at the bottom of my post floating around a competitor site. Just an FYI and Exhibit A as to why I would never post my picture on a website. Some people get mean..

Silly season isn’t very funny for scouting directors

by Jim Callis

September 1, 2003

CHICAGO—In NASCAR, it’s known as the Silly Season.

The origins of the term are murky, but it’s used universally to describe the shuffling of drivers, team personnel and sponsors for the next racing year. Before one season is over, rumors swirl and alliances form for the next.

This summer, Silly Season has come to baseball—in particular to scouting directors.

It kicked off in July, when the White Sox demoted Doug Laumann to special-assignment scout. They’ve since given him no assignments. Five days later, the Blue Jays promoted Chris Buckley from scouting director to assistant general manager. Buckley, who made the transition from a tools/projection approach to a statistics/polish philosophy when J.P. Ricciardi became Toronto’s general manager, still will be involved with the team’s drafts.

Then in August the Angels fired Donny Rowland. Though Anaheim has gone from one of the most barren farm systems to one of the deepest under Rowland’s watch, GM Bill Stoneman said, “It just didn’t work out.”

More changes appear imminent. An American League playoff contender was expected to reassign its scouting director shortly after Baseball America went to press. A club in the National League postseason hunt was receiving inquiries about its position, though the team says it’s not open. One of the NL’s most successful directors also may soon be shown the door.

Maybe this should be called Open Season. Either way, scouting directors aren’t finding it too funny.

Laumann Made Sox Better

The White Sox say they made the change with Laumann, which they initially tried to spin as a promotion, for “the betterment of the organization.” Laumann has declined comment, but several other sources say his downfall came when he wanted to discipline one of his crosscheckers.

The scout has ties to higher-ranking people in the Sox front office, so Laumann was overruled. When he persisted, he lost his job.

It’s impossible to know for sure how good a draft is until five years or so afterward, but that has never stopped us from evaluating them in the short term. And the early returns on Laumann’s 2001-03 efforts look good.

His three first-round picks all show great promise. Kris Honel (2001) is the top righthander in the system. Lefty Royce Ring (2002) was the key player in the Roberto Alomar trade with the Mets. Multi-tooled Brian Anderson (2003) hit .388 at Rookie-level Great Falls before a wrist injury ended his summer. He’d be the club’s long-term answer in center field if Laumann’s 2002 second-round pick, Jeremy Reed, wasn’t batting .410 in Double-A in his first full season.

The combined total of bonuses for Honel ($1.5 million), Ring ($1.6 million), Reed ($650,000) and Anderson ($1.6 million) comes to $5.35 million—just $50,000 more than they paid for 2000 first-rounder Joe Borchard, who’s regressing as he repeats Triple-A.

Laumann’s drafts also produced the main prospects (Anthony Webster, Josh Rupe) in the Carl Everett deal with the Rangers. After Anderson this year, he also scored with second-rounder Ryan Sweeney, an outfielder with first-round talent, and fourth-rounder Robert Valido, who could be the best shortstop in the entire 2003 draft.

Granted, Laumann’s scouting staff deserves its share of the credit for all this apparent success. But how does replacing him better the organization?

Here's the article.  I'll post it in it's entirety because it's in the subscriber section of BA's online site.

Also, a side note to ABOZ, I found the picture at the bottom of my post floating around a competitor site.  Just an FYI and Exhibit A as to why I would never post my picture on a website.  Some people get mean..

Silly season isn’t very funny for scouting directors

by Jim Callis

September 1, 2003

CHICAGO—In NASCAR, it’s known as the Silly Season.

The origins of the term are murky, but it’s used universally to describe the shuffling of drivers, team personnel and sponsors for the next racing year. Before one season is over, rumors swirl and alliances form for the next.

This summer, Silly Season has come to baseball—in particular to scouting directors.

It kicked off in July, when the White Sox demoted Doug Laumann to special-assignment scout. They’ve since given him no assignments. Five days later, the Blue Jays promoted Chris Buckley from scouting director to assistant general manager. Buckley, who made the transition from a tools/projection approach to a statistics/polish philosophy when J.P. Ricciardi became Toronto’s general manager, still will be involved with the team’s drafts.

Then in August the Angels fired Donny Rowland. Though Anaheim has gone from one of the most barren farm systems to one of the deepest under Rowland’s watch, GM Bill Stoneman said, “It just didn’t work out.”

More changes appear imminent. An American League playoff contender was expected to reassign its scouting director shortly after Baseball America went to press. A club in the National League postseason hunt was receiving inquiries about its position, though the team says it’s not open. One of the NL’s most successful directors also may soon be shown the door.

Maybe this should be called Open Season. Either way, scouting directors aren’t finding it too funny.

Laumann Made Sox Better

The White Sox say they made the change with Laumann, which they initially tried to spin as a promotion, for “the betterment of the organization.” Laumann has declined comment, but several other sources say his downfall came when he wanted to discipline one of his crosscheckers.

The scout has ties to higher-ranking people in the Sox front office, so Laumann was overruled. When he persisted, he lost his job.

It’s impossible to know for sure how good a draft is until five years or so afterward, but that has never stopped us from evaluating them in the short term. And the early returns on Laumann’s 2001-03 efforts look good.

His three first-round picks all show great promise. Kris Honel (2001) is the top righthander in the system. Lefty Royce Ring (2002) was the key player in the Roberto Alomar trade with the Mets. Multi-tooled Brian Anderson (2003) hit .388 at Rookie-level Great Falls before a wrist injury ended his summer. He’d be the club’s long-term answer in center field if Laumann’s 2002 second-round pick, Jeremy Reed, wasn’t batting .410 in Double-A in his first full season.

The combined total of bonuses for Honel ($1.5 million), Ring ($1.6 million), Reed ($650,000) and Anderson ($1.6 million) comes to $5.35 million—just $50,000 more than they paid for 2000 first-rounder Joe Borchard, who’s regressing as he repeats Triple-A.

Laumann’s drafts also produced the main prospects (Anthony Webster, Josh Rupe) in the Carl Everett deal with the Rangers. After Anderson this year, he also scored with second-rounder Ryan Sweeney, an outfielder with first-round talent, and fourth-rounder Robert Valido, who could be the best shortstop in the entire 2003 draft.

Granted, Laumann’s scouting staff deserves its share of the credit for all this apparent success. But how does replacing him better the organization?

Thanks for that image, lol.

Doesn't bother me at all.

Show me who posted it though, that way I know who's envious.

No problem.  I'd rather not say, I don't want to start any wars.  It's out there and it shouldn't be too hard to find.  I'm neutral, I like both sites and post to whatever catches my interest.

It's most likely a result of the WSI bash I did about their graphics on their site.

Nonetheless, if anyone finds it, send me the link.

This is rather humorous, luckily I have a sense of humor and laugh these things off rather easily.

this hitter-heavy draft.  Scouting director Doug Laumann's reward? Getting reassigned

for political reasons.

If anyone has any information on this part, please elaborate. Thought maybe either Jas or Rex would know something about this, I'm interested to know.

In addition to the article already posted, my best guess is this had something to do with Brian anderson and his wrist. The Sox drafted him highly and paid him well, only to find out he had a pre-existing wrist injury. Later that injury re-occurred and not only did he miss time, but his second surgery is now on the Sox dime.

My guess is Laumann wanted to discipline a crosschecker for missing that information. It is just that, a guess, but it does seem to make sense.

for political reasons.

In addition to the article already posted, my best guess is this had something to do with Brian anderson and his wrist. The Sox drafted him highly and paid him well, only to find out he had a pre-existing wrist injury. Later that injury re-occurred and not only did he miss time, but his second surgery is now on the Sox dime.

My guess is Laumann wanted to discipline a crosschecker for missing that information. It is just that, a guess, but it does seem to make sense.

Thank you Rex.

Thanx for the article aboz. Hope firing Laumann doesn't hurt us in da long run. Has there been a replacement named for him yet? For next year's draft I would like to see us draft some more pitchers and some speedy infielders who can get on base.

I think the Sox had a pretty good draft. They took some chances on guys like Veal/Moviel/Brooks. I don't know why people don't mention Richard Brooks, but I really liked his arm. I still hope somehow the Sox step up and sign one of Moviel/Veal but its pretty unlikely.

As far as the best picks, I think Anderson showed reasons why the Sox liked him. He has insane power and is a great all around player. But after watching Joe Borchard, I'll play the waiting game with most of these youngsters. I've pretty much learned to wait till AA before you annoit someone ready or an immediate impact type guy.

This draft was huge for the Sox because it brought so much position depth, namely in the outfield where the Sox are set. They also got a ss prospect and we know the Sox have been waiting for someone to step up there for a long time.

The best pitching prospect in the draft was Russ in my opinion. Stuff wise he is filthy, but the Sox have some things to do before he's even near ready. I also like the lefty they took out of Illionois (For some reason I can't think of his name; but he was also a football player; Highschool player).

I'm excited about the Sox future and I'm really excited about the major league team. The farm system could definately use some work, although I still believe there is plenty of talent here, although its definately time to start restocking the cupboards.

I would guess that Moviel is no longer signable.  At this point, I am sure he is enrolled at Vanderbilt.

Is it when they enroll you can't sign them or isn't there like a March deadline or something. I remember something about the Cubs when there were talks about them not signing Brownlie and I swore they didn't sign him till the next baseball season.

Then again, it may of been the start of his first semester or something like that.

The guy I'm key on seeing how he performs is Ryan Sweeney. I was campaigning for us to draft him at 15...extatic to see when we got him in the second round and signed him. I guess I might be a little biased...either that or more well informed at least about him...due to the fact that I faced him several times throughout high school. We were in the same conference for seasonal baseball play. So I guess if you want any info on him I could provide a little insight at least.

The guy I'm key on seeing how he performs is Ryan Sweeney.  I was campaigning for us to draft him at 15...extatic to see when we got him in the second round and signed him.  I guess I might be a little biased...either that or more well informed at least about him...due to the fact that I faced him several times throughout high school.  We were in the same conference for seasonal baseball play.  So I guess if you want any info on him I could provide a little insight at least.

Sweeney definately rates up there with me. Only thing is, its so hard to judge a guy when he has so long to reach the majors, but the upside is definately great.

Kark, do you think the Sox are making the right call using him as a hitter compared to a pitcher?

Kark, do you think the Sox are making the right call using him as a hitter compared to a pitcher?

It's hard to say...the several times I played against him he was the starting pitcher of Game 1 (we always played doubleheaders) and then most of the time sat Game 2 to rest his arm...although I believe he did sometimes move into the field for the second game. He was as dominant of a High School pitcher as I saw. He also doubled as CR Xavier's cleanup hitter and would just rake...launching some bombs. Real smooth, powerful swing from the left side. In High School he was a man playing among boys...I think the kid's got a real shot at being something special someday.

All-in-all, to answer your question, I would say yeah they probably made the right move in moving him to the field. If you can harness that type of ability into a power hitter with a good average I would take the chance. That and again...this is the stuff our scouts are being payed to know...so I guess it is hard for me to second guess someone in that position.

The guy I'm key on seeing how he performs is Ryan Sweeney.  I was campaigning for us to draft him at 15...extatic to see when we got him in the second round and signed him.  I guess I might be a little biased...either that or more well informed at least about him...due to the fact that I faced him several times throughout high school.  We were in the same conference for seasonal baseball play.  So I guess if you want any info on him I could provide a little insight at least.

An absolute steal in da 2nd, he shoulda definitely gone in da 1st. Teams like Milwaukee r gonna regret not picking (they took Anthony Gywnn instead I think) him for sure if he pans out. But that's da key word with prospects, IF.

Is it when they enroll you can't sign them or isn't there like a March deadline or something.  I remember something about the Cubs when there were talks about them not signing Brownlie and I swore they didn't sign him till the next baseball season.

Then again, it may of been the start of his first semester or something like that.

I think you actually have to attend the first class before you can't change your mind and sign with a major league club. That's what I remember in a few cases when it went down to the last minute. Enrolling in college keeps your options open a little longer, I think.

Is it when they enroll you can't sign them or isn't there like a March deadline or something.  I remember something about the Cubs when there were talks about them not signing Brownlie and I swore they didn't sign him till the next baseball season.

I think you actually have to attend the first class before you can't change your mind and sign with a major league club. That's what I remember in a few cases when it went down to the last minute. Enrolling in college keeps your options open a little longer, I think.

Technically, attending your first class at a 4-year school is the cut-off point. When I said enroll, that is certainly what I meant. If you are enrolled at a school and haven't yet attended a class, something is wrong.

I am 99% sure he is enrolled and attending classes on a baseball scholarship at Vanderbilt and no longer available to be signed until after his 3rd year there.

JUCO players are different. They are eligible to be signed before the next draft.