According to Rogers, 8 million dollars to spend

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

In one of of the Chicago Tribune, the Senior Baseball Staff Reporter Phil Rodgers reported, that the White Sox have money to make a run after pitchers available in Free Agency. The excact amount of money is eight million dollars. The 2003 Opening Day Payroll would be set at fifty million dollars, seven million less than the year before, 2002, in which Chicago White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams had a fire sale with some of his players, including, Sandy Alomar, Jr., Kenny Lofton, Ray Durham, and Bobby Howry. Among the list of Free Agent Starting pitchers is James Baldwin, Dustin Hermansen, Brian Moehler, Jon Lieber, Robert Person, Paul Wilson, Ron Villone, Jeff Suppan, and Todd Ritchie. But in the White Sox Outfielders case, there is a great need of one if Aaron Rowand isn't ready to go by spring training. A list includes; Orlando Palmeiro, Kenny Lofton, Todd Hollandsworth, and Jose Cruz, Jr. Hopefully, Kenny Williams can bring in a nice and new #2 and #3 pitcher.

The White Sox have always had the money to spend..... JR just doesn't spend it. Out of those players listed, Ritchie will be the pitcher and maybe (this is a BIG maybe), Lofton will be resigned if AR isn't ready to take over CF duties by ST..... but don't count on it. KW has hinted that AR will be the starting CF for 2003.

Among the list of Free Agent Starting pitchers is James Baldwin, Dustin Hermansen, Brian Moehler, Jon Lieber, Robert Person, Paul Wilson, Ron Villone, Jeff Suppan, and Todd Ritchie. But in the White Sox Outfielders case, there is a great need of one if Aaron Rowand isn't ready to go by spring training. A list includes; Orlando Palmeiro, Kenny Lofton, Todd Hollandsworth, and Jose Cruz, Jr. Hopefully, Kenny Williams can bring in a nice and new #2 and #3 pitcher.

None of those pitchers named is making me get up and dance.

I'd like to give AR a channce to CF, but Jose Cruz Jr sure sounds interesting.

I still say see if the yanks would like to make a trade for 1 of their 7 outstanding starting pitchers almost anyone of them would fit nicely asside from Wells but he could possible work. If not how about trying to sign kenny rogers for cheap if his price will come down. just a suggestion.

This is awesome news. I've talked to Rogers once and I respect him quite a bit. He's got a lot of knowledge and tends to be a pretty good reporter.

If indeed they have 8 mill, then they are definately in the Colon sweepstakes and don't need to move Lee for to make room for a pitcher. Damn it, now I'm getting my hopes up again.

Could you imagine picking up Colon or Vazquez and Cruz Jr, Hollandsworth, or Palmerio...man I'd be happy.

Of those players that we can sign, I wouldnt mind at all signing JB, Hermansen, Person, Moehler or Jose Cruz Jr. Moehler and Hermansen would both be cheap and they have been decent to above average in the past. Person has had problems with injury but he was good in Philadelphia and that shouldnt change if he came to the Southside. I always loved James when he was here and he pitched with so much heart. Hes not the best pitcher on that list but he was a good friend of FT (Ray was the other good friend of Frank and I think Frank may do better if he has a good friend on the same team) and hes got so much heart, hes a fighter, not a quitter. As for Jose he could play center but he wouldnt be leading off. Jiminez would take care of that.

The guys I dont want anything to do with are Toad Ritchie and Kenny Lofton, no explanations are needed...

QUOTE from the article:

It's unclear where club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf wants the payroll. But he has room to cherry-pick the long list of free agents for another $7 million to $8 million worth of talent and still open the season at $50 million, down from $57 million at the start of 2002.

All he says is JR has money to spend, not that he will spend it .

With all the ticket price hike and all star festivities on the wings, they better get somebody big who can help us compete this year. We have 8 million now to spend and still it would still be 50 mil. then they should use that money. KW said that fans will come out if they present a great SOX team, then use the money to better the team's future cheap asses.

If they were serious about winning they would atleast bring the payroll to about 60 mil, giving us about another 17-19 mil to throw around. Look at the Angels they put another 15 mil into there payroll and won a WS, the Sox's could be that team if JR wasn't a cheap bastard.

QUOTE from the article:

It's unclear where club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf wants the payroll. But he has room to cherry-pick the long list of free agents for another $7 million to $8 million worth of talent and still open the season at $50 million, down from $57 million at the start of 2002.

All he says is JR has money to spend, not that he will spend it .

i know there is talk in the baseball world of a possible salary collusion among the owners and i have a tendency to agree. esp with the sox not making a run at anybody. so the 8 mil that is being save is what is or will be save by jr. this subject, of collusion will take a life of its own when the season starts.

Is there talk about collusion? I was wondering if it were possible, again, because it sure looks like what went on the last time there was colluision. Not sure of how the latest agreement fit in here, and were the owners acting really like individuals or was there in fact collusion. Steinbrenner's actions would argue against collusion, except if 29 teams are playing collusion and 1 isn't. But I don't know what to think. What do you think, what do you know?

Is there talk about collusion?  I was wondering if it were possible, again, because it sure looks like what went on the last time there was colluision.  Not sure of how the latest agreement fit in here, and were the owners acting really like individuals or was there in fact collusion.  Steinbrenner's actions would argue against collusion, except if 29 teams are playing collusion and 1 isn't.  But I don't know what to think.  What do you think, what do you know?

The problem is, its going to be hard to prove. Then again, no one is signing for much anything big. Of course, some teams have been throwing money all over the place like the Mets, Yanks, Phillies and even Red Sox.

I don't think they will win, but htey are talking collusion. Still, if Collusion was going on you'd bet that JR is involved in it.

Is there talk about collusion?  I was wondering if it were possible, again, because it sure looks like what went on the last time there was colluision.  Not sure of how the latest agreement fit in here, and were the owners acting really like individuals or was there in fact collusion.  Steinbrenner's actions would argue against collusion, except if 29 teams are playing collusion and 1 isn't.  But I don't know what to think.  What do you think, what do you know?

The problem is, its going to be hard to prove. Then again, no one is signing for much anything big. Of course, some teams have been throwing money all over the place like the Mets, Yanks, Phillies and even Red Sox.

I don't think they will win, but htey are talking collusion. Still, if Collusion was going on you'd bet that JR is involved in it.

ref to jr, it goes to prove why no activity on the fa front. that is my point

I hate to sound stupid....but what the hell is collusion?

Collusion is when all of, or a majority of the owners agree not to spend money, in hopes of driving down salaries. In the 80's the owners got caught. I'm sure it's something you can look up on the net.

Collusion is when all of, or a majority of the owners agree not to spend money, in hopes of driving down salaries. In the 80's the owners got caught. I'm sure it's something you can look up on the net.

Ya, Collusion is when owners get together and talk and say that they won't pay anyone. As Showtime said, it happened in the 80's and the owners were caught and sued and they were hurt big time.

Basically its them going out of the way to hold salaries down. I don't believe it is happening this year, I just think owners are finally getting smart.

Remember, in the 80's baseballs economy was much different. I think teams were making more money, something that rarely happens in the current economy and payrolls were nowhere near as out of whack as they are now.

I can't blame the owners for cutting payroll. THis has to be the first time in a long time that the majority of the teams out their have cut payroll (I'm assuming most of them have or at least, they aren't increasing it). These players are getting ridiculous prices and baseball is a business, the owners need to make profit otherwise they have no motivation to do it.

We as fans sometimes forget its a business, and yes its in the business of entertainment and they are mainly millionaires and billionaires crying, but either way its their money and they aren't going to be happy losing it, just like we aren't going to be happy if we had a business and it was losing money.

The owners in concert, agree among themselves not to bid on FA's or to lowball the ones they do bid on. When Peter Ueberroth (sp?) was Commissioner in the mid and late 80's the owners were found guilty of collusion three different times. If they are doing this again I would think they would be much slicker about it, but with this group of owners you never know. Being rich does not always = being smart.

It looks like the union is getting ready for a possible collusion complaint. From what has been public, the lack of bidding for players on the owners part, collusion in 2003 could be a possibility. The big question will be, did the owners not make offers each making an independent decision, or did they in any way communicate amongst each other. If collusion is charged, the discovery process will be able to get at the owners and GMs email, which would make fascinating reading...

and indeed, the owners are dumb enough to do it again. I wonder if they did.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0103/1486718.html