Frank Thomas is Staying With Sox

elrockinMT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should come as no surprise, but the word from a source is that Mr. Frank Thomas has decided to exercise his $6 million option this afternoon with the White Sox. Details should be forthcoming later this afternoon.

I like Frank. I hope he plays first base 80 percent of the time. He deserves to retire here and I hope he no longer has to agonize over where to finish his long and storied career. I'll be happy to see him in the Hall wearing a Sox uniform one day.

Forkit!

At 6mil, Frank is not that bad of a player.

He still hit 40 hrs, and had a decent obp.

It is possible, if not likely that Frank will hit better than .250 next year. If he even hits .280 with 30-40 hrs, I would be very happy with him at $6mil per season.

It was only last year that he was trying to get over $10mil, the sox have saved 40% on his salary.

SB

Even his detractors, and I am one, must admit he's the greatest hitter in Sox history. That's self-evident.

It seems that every year there's a soap opera surrounding Frank, and the upcoming year will probably be no different. How the new manager manages Frank, and how Frank reacts to that management, will be fascinating to watch as the months go by. I think good Frank is not enough to carry our team by himself, but bad Frank is enough to torpedo the season.

I'm fine with Frank staying here.

Now we need a manager that can actually make him his b**** and have him bat 4th, 5th, or 6th. Frank batting in the 3 spot killed us last year. Having a home run guy in the 3 spot does not work. You actually look for an RBI guy in the 3 spot and then a homer/big bat guy in the 4th spot(reason I put big bat is that guys like Manny Ramirez can hit .300 35 140 too....not just hit homers). Just ask the 2002 San Fran Giants. Bonds hit like 50 homers, and I believe he drove in like 110, or 120....maybe I'm off, but I know in 2001, the year he broke the record, he hit 73 homers and only drove in 135 or so. Anyways, having the RBI guy in the 3 spot(in the Giants case, Jeff Kent, or in our case, it would have been Maggs or Lee this past year) and the homer guy in the #4 spot(Bonds or Thomas, whichever guy you are looking at), you can get a lot of runs in a hurry.

No big deal....we all knew it was coming, did we not?

Good deal, im kind of glad frank is staying, even if he isnt the player he once was he is still a huge threat in the lineup and a scary guy to pitch to. 6 Million really isnt so bad for a guy like Frank, im just glad it didnt come to the sox paying him 8 million to stay. If im not mistaken KW still has plenty of money left over to spend on FAs to make up for losing Colon and the middle infield.

Hey and think on the bright side, at least we didnt have to keep the most overpayed pos in baseball, Jose Valentin, like we had to keep frank.

I have to say i'm happy that frank's staying.

If we can get a manager that will light a fire under his ass, he can become the powerhouse he is capable of being. The problem last year was that our entire team was built w/ "frank thomas players" big, slow, powerful. If we can get some speedy contact hitters around him, mags, c-lee, and paulie. It will be a nice summer next year.

Having a home run guy in the 3 spot does not work. You actually look for an RBI guy in the 3 spot and then a homer/big bat guy in the 4th spot

What????

I know what you are trying to say, but you aren't making sense. How many teams have players hit in the three hole that have low home run totals? For that matter, how many "RBI guys" have lots of RBI and not many home runs?

If you are trying to say the Sox would be better with Maggs in the three hole and FT batting fourth, you can make that argument. But the way you put it, makes no sense.

What????

I know what you are trying to say, but you aren't making sense.  How many teams have players hit in the three hole that have low home run totals?  For that matter, how many "RBI guys" have lots of RBI and not many home runs?

If you are trying to say the Sox would be better with Maggs in the three hole and FT batting fourth, you can make that argument.  But the way you put it, makes no sense.

Tommy Herr.

I am glad Frank Thomas is staying also. He is still good enough to be ranked in the top ten offensively and I think he might improve that average next year, if Walt Hriniak has anything to say about it. No one can doubt Frank's desire to win it all and maybe hopefully that can light a fire under the others too.

What????

I know what you are trying to say, but you aren't making sense.  How many teams have players hit in the three hole that have low home run totals?  For that matter, how many "RBI guys" have lots of RBI and not many home runs?

If you are trying to say the Sox would be better with Maggs in the three hole and FT batting fourth, you can make that argument.  But the way you put it, makes no sense.

Tommy Herr.

Tommy Herr what? 574 Rbi's in a 13 year career isn't impressive. He had one year over 100 Rbi's. I don't know what you are trying to say here. It is like saying Raul Mondesi is a great run producer when he has never had a 100 RBI season.

What????

Tommy Herr.

Tommy Herr what? 574 Rbi's in a 13 year career isn't impressive. He had one year over 100 Rbi's. I don't know what you are trying to say here. It is like saying Raul Mondesi is a great run producer when he has never had a 100 RBI season.

Relax, the season he had over 100 RBI I don't think he hit any home runs. There was no point I just wanted to piss you off.

now let's get on with the task of putting the rest of the lineup and the pitching staff together

Would have been somewhat easier without the 6 million we're going to owe a "Twilight" Frank Thomas.

With this news, if the Sox are going to make any significant moves this offseason, they will have to shop around PK.

I'm ok with Frank coming back. I would like to see him bat 5 or 6 in the lineup and depending on what other moves come down, I wouldn't mind seeing him play 30 or 40 games at 1st.

I believe, but have no direct evidence to back it up, that if Frank was 1/10th as good as a club house leader as he is on the field, he would have a WS ring or two. I'm basing this on some of the direct whining quotes from him and comments from other players and managers on the way out.

He's borderline HoF and shouldn't be.

Throughout the mid 90's I would watch people stop dead in the tracks to watch Frank hit. He may have had the best combo of power, average, and "eye" of any hitter I've ever seen in person.

What????

Tommy Herr.

I wouldn't call Tommy Herr a classic three hole hitter. Nor was he a career three hole hitter.

Glad to keep Frank for 6 million for sure. 40+ HRs last year and top 10 in runs produced, OPS, etc., even with lthe low average he ended up with. I hope he finds his swing early, stays patient, decides what kind of hiitter he is going to be, doesn't pout if he is moved down in the order, and gets at least 30 games at 1B.

Is the general concensus that now this piece of the puzzle is in place, Ozzie's chances at the manager's spot just went from slim to nearly none?