KW fires back at Valentin

aboz56

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox31.html

"There has never been a time where a player or a player's agent has called our office and not gotten a return phone call, if they couldn't get somebody directly -- never,'' Williams said. "And never will that happen in the future. For anybody to insinuate that is misguided and got their facts wrong.''

Valentin is one of eight Sox players who have filed for free agency. He said at the end of last season that he might return to the Sox for less than market value if the team keeps its veteran nucleus.

Valentin was quoted this week as saying: "I'm not too happy with [the Sox] right now. They told us some things and now can't even return calls. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'm coming back or not.''

Said Williams: "I myself have been misquoted [in the past], and I can only hope he was misquoted or maybe he was misinformed by his representative. Whatever the fact is, that's not the way we operate. We are in contact with our guys.''

Williams said he had lunch this week with free agent Sandy Alomar Jr., who lives in Chicago during the offseason, and also spoke to free agents Roberto Alomar, Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan by phone. Roberto Alomar officially filed for free agency Thursday.

"I know that I'm an easy target because I like to do things quietly,'' Williams said, "but I resent the fact that somebody is going to throw that kind of misrepresentation out there.''

I'll take K-Dub's word on this one. I believe him, and can only hope that this will further convince KW not to bring Manos back to the Southside.

Jose Valentin is a productive player and always gives it his all. Offensively, BA aside, he is a very good power man. He has also improved with the glove. I agree $5M may be too high, but I think Jose will take less and I hope he is back with the Sox. When things were going badly last year you never saw Jose giving up and he kept pushing the other players.

Jose Valentin is a productive player and always gives it his all. Offensively, BA aside, he is a very good power man. He has also improved with the glove. I agree $5M may be too high, but I think Jose will take less and I hope he is back with the Sox. When things were going badly last year you never saw Jose giving up and he kept pushing the other players.

:rolleyes:

Maybe, Killa, but the guy is starting to be Frank Thomas Part II. Going and whining to the Press everytime things arent so great. I can think of other ways for this organization to spend $5 million.

I know Jose means nothing but the best, but he just isn't a fit anymore.

Hopefully this will be some incentive to sign a high-tier SS. And maybe take a run at Kuzuo Matsui.  :)

I am right there with ya on that thought, Yahtzee. I think that Jose time has served its duration. I'd love to see us make a run for Matsui, and trade Maggs for Soriano...thats a damn fine infield IMO.

I am right there with ya on that thought, Yahtzee. I think that Jose time has served its duration. I'd love to see us make a run for Matsui, and trade Maggs for Soriano...thats a damn fine infield IMO.

It's not shabby at all. There's almost no chance of us getting Matsui, but I still want KW to take a shot at him, at least. I honestly don't see why JR wouldn't not give him a shot either, it's a win win situation. IF he does bomb, oh well, he's still a defensive genius.

Hopefully this will be some incentive to sign a high-tier SS. And maybe take a run at Kuzuo Matsui.  :)

I don't think you will ever see that from the Sox. These imports from Japan and the defectors from Cuba are all expecting money like Steinbrenner dishes out. He has ruined baseball economics and what's worse the guy doesn't care. He can't because he just keeps dishing it out.

I don't think you will ever see that from the Sox. These imports from Japan and the defectors from Cuba are all expecting money like Steinbrenner dishes out. He has ruined baseball economics and what's worse the guy doesn't care. He can't because he just keeps dishing it out.

I'd still be happy if they at least gave a shot at signing Matsui. I would be disappointed if they just let him go. But that's just me.