Young Prospects

Jim Fainter

This kid Anthony Webster came out of nowhere. I know he hit .352 at Bristol last year; obviously a speed guy with 16 steals out of 16, no homers. Now he is rated in the top 150 in all of the minors. Is he trade bait for the Expos? Speaking of Bristol, that whole team hit the cover off the ball last year. Both Lopez and Brice hit well over .300. What's the story down there? Conversely, at our AAA team in Charlotte, no one hit really well, except for Crede, and that is supposed to be a hitter's park.

I think Webster did indeed hit one home run

Anthony Webster, cf, Bristol White Sox, .352, 1 HR, 30 RBI, 16 SB

He was something like 4th in batting average in the Appalachian League and Baseball America named him the 10th best prospect in the Appalachian League after the 2002 season.

I have just posted everything I know about Anthony Webster.

(and since zach23 is out there lurking somewhere, hi to zach23)

When Cerb sees this thread he'll give ya a ton of info on his guy Anthony Webster.

The Sox drafted Webster as one of those guys that had limited baseball experience, but has tons of atheletism. This guy is already well above average defensively in center field and was very impressive with his bat. The guy hit with gap power (At 19, he's yet to develop all his muscles and the Sox and other scouts see those extra base hits turning into homers as he gets older) and has great speed. Consider him a threat to hit .300, hit 25 hr's, steal 30 bases and win a gold glove in center.

I don't consider this guy trade bait, he's a very very good prospect out their. I also have heard the Sox are incredibly high on this kid, and some think if he backs his first season up, he will shoot up as one of the top outfield prospects in all of baseball.

This kid Anthony Webster came out of nowhere.  I know he hit .352 at Bristol last year;  obviously a speed guy with 16 steals out of 16, no homers.  Now he is rated in the top 150 in all of the minors.  Is he trade bait for the Expos?  Speaking of Bristol, that whole team hit the cover off the ball last year.  Both Lopez and Brice hit well over .300.  What's the story down there?  Conversely, at our AAA team in Charlotte, no one hit really well, except for Crede, and that is supposed to be a hitter's park.

Bristol is probably loaded with our best prospects, outside of Schnurstein, Haigwood, Malone, etc. I believe that Edgar Valera (31st round? out of LBC, same with Reed) really was a force. Valera would have been a MUCH higher pick a year ago, but he missed all but about 6 games with a hand injury. Has alot of pop in the bat. Brice is an Aussie who just cremates the ball. He can flat out rake, but he was hitting somewhere around .400 before he hand a hand injury as well. Also, don't forget Andy Gonzalez, huge steal.

As for Webster, he's our best OF prospect other than Borchard. Webster, right now, probably has three of the five tools (hitting, speed, fielding) but lacks power and arm strength. He's probably our best bet for a leadoff man, because he can fly, and draws a bunch of walks.

TO: Cerbaho-WG. Tks for the info. However, I could not find anything on either Schnurstein or Haigwood. What do you know about them? Also, we have two Reed's: one is a pitcher who did well with Bristol and the other is a non-pitcher - Jeremy, who hit .319 with Kannapolis. Which one are you hot on? I know Andy Gonsalez hit .280 with good stats. What else do you know about him? Thanks again.

TO:  Cerbaho-WG.  Tks for the info.  However, I could not find anything on either Schnurstein or Haigwood.  What do you know about them?  Also, we have two Reed's:  one is a pitcher who did well with Bristol and the other is a non-pitcher - Jeremy, who hit .319 with Kannapolis.  Which one are you hot on?  I know Andy Gonsalez hit .280 with good stats.  What else do you know about him?  Thanks again.

and there is another kid name pedro lopez who plays 2b who with andy playing ss and brice playing 1b, makes up our infield for the future according to the sox scouts report on BA.

TO:  Cerbaho-WG.  Tks for the info.  However, I could not find anything on either Schnurstein or Haigwood.  What do you know about them?  Also, we have two Reed's:  one is a pitcher who did well with Bristol and the other is a non-pitcher - Jeremy, who hit .319 with Kannapolis.  Which one are you hot on?  I know Andy Gonsalez hit .280 with good stats.  What else do you know about him?  Thanks again.

and there is another kid name pedro lopez who plays 2b who with andy playing ss and brice playing 1b, makes up our infield for the future according to the sox scouts report on BA.

Yeah, Lopez looks good.

Schnurstein was a 3B out of Basic HS, and set the AZL League recrod for doubles, with I believe 28. Haigwood is a HS pitcher who was 73-1 for his HS career, and knows how to pitch.

TO:  Cerbaho-WG.  Tks for the info.  However, I could not find anything on either Schnurstein or Haigwood.  What do you know about them?  Also, we have two Reed's:  one is a pitcher who did well with Bristol and the other is a non-pitcher - Jeremy, who hit .319 with Kannapolis.  Which one are you hot on?  I know Andy Gonsalez hit .280 with good stats.  What else do you know about him?  Thanks again.

Yeah, Lopez looks good.

Schnurstein was a 3B out of Basic HS, and set the AZL League recrod for doubles, with I believe 28. Haigwood is a HS pitcher who was 73-1 for his HS career, and knows how to pitch.

Schnurstein is the 3rd base prospect that many talked about quite a bit after his real good season in Rookie Ball. As Cerb said thats where most of the Sox talent is and those guys are their because of KW. He's doing a real good job keeping the farm system strong.

Yeah, Lopez looks good.

Schnurstein is the 3rd base prospect that many talked about quite a bit after his real good season in Rookie Ball. As Cerb said thats where most of the Sox talent is and those guys are their because of KW. He's doing a real good job keeping the farm system strong.

we haven't had a strong "if" that was considered a true prospects in a long time, if any. now we are set for what, in another 2 yrs or so. the future looks good. question is, with brice maybe being a future 1b of the future, what is there to do with paulie?

we still need a cf now and a number 2 pit. but the prospect list looks really good, but how do those rank up with other teams prospects.

we haven't had a strong "if" that was considered a true prospects in a long time, if any. now we are set for what, in another 2 yrs or so. the future looks good. question is, with brice maybe being a future 1b of the future, what is there to do with paulie?

we still need a cf now and a number 2 pit. but the prospect list looks really good, but how do those rank up with other teams prospects.

Well, I wouldn't worry about our first base prospects yet. They have a long way to go and well, Paulie will be nearing free agency around that time.

We also have Rogowski whose further ahead of the other first base prospects, but he has a ton of questionmarks too.

From Perfect Game USA - Pre Draft Workout Top Prospects - May 14, 2002

http://www.perfectgame.org/updateable/upda....cfm?pageid=243

Haigwood is a bulldog on the mound. Although he has been dominating all season and reports of him at 90-92 mph, he showed mostly mid-80's arm strength that topped out at 88 mph. He did show why he has a 40-0 career HS  record with a plus curveball and pitchability. His curve showed a tight spin that had 73 mph velocity and a good hard bite to it. His body is strong, athletic and his long arms release the ball out front in a good spot.

Here's a pic:

haigwood.jpg

From Perfect Game USA - Pre Draft Workout Top Prospects - May 14, 2002

http://www.perfectgame.org/updateable/upda....cfm?pageid=243

Haigwood is a bulldog on the mound. Although he has been dominating all season and reports of him at 90-92 mph, he showed mostly mid-80's arm strength that topped out at 88 mph. He did show why he has a 40-0 career HS  record with a plus curveball and pitchability. His curve showed a tight spin that had 73 mph velocity and a good hard bite to it. His body is strong, athletic and his long arms release the ball out front in a good spot.

Here's a pic:

haigwood.jpg

Thanks for the info mac...If I recall he's put a couple miles onto his fastball and they think he could still put a couple more miles onto it. The Sox are really high on this kid and he could be our best sleeper pick since, Mark Buerhle :headbang