This Day In Sox History...September 21

Lip Man 1

September 21, 1901 - The Sox won the first ‘official’ American League pennant despite losing to the Philadelphia A’s 10-4. The Sox would win the pennant by four games over the Boston Americans with a record of 83-53.  Unfortunately, the World Series didn’t start until 1903, so this was the best that the Sox could do.

The Sox had a very balanced lineup, which was led by outfielders William “Dummy" Hoy and Fielder Jones, and scored the most runs in the league. They relied primarily on speed, as Frank Isbell, Sam Mertes, and Jones finished 1–2–3 in stolen bases. The pitching staff was anchored by Clark Griffith, who went 24–7 with a 2.67 ERA.

September 21, 1917 - The Sox clinched the pennant beating the Red Sox 2-1 behind Urban "Red" Faber. The final outs came when “Babe” Ruth rapped into a double play. The Sox would outdistance Boston by nine games in 1917 with a mark of 100-54, and then defeat the New York Giants four games to two, for the World Championship.

The 100 wins in a season, have never been equaled in team history. The Sox offense led the league in runs scored that season while the pitching staff, led by Eddie Cicotte, had a season ERA of 2.16

September 21, 1955 - Frank “Trader” Lane, one of the finest G.M.’s in team history resigned.

During his tenure, which spanned seven seasons, Lane made 241 trades involving 353 players. He was one of the architects of the club that would win the 1959 American League pennant.

Among the players he acquired for the Sox were “Minnie” Minoso, Nellie Fox, Dick Donovan, “Jungle” Jim Rivera, Billy Pierce, “Chico” Carrasquel and Sherm Lollar.

September 21, 1970 - For the first time in 69 seasons, the Sox finally had a 30-home run man. Bill Melton got an upper deck shot off the Royals Aurelio Monteagudo, who pitched for the Sox the year before, for the most Sox home runs in a season at that time. That same day Luis Aparicio got his final hit in a Sox uniform. He had 1,576 of them for the White Sox.

Just 672 fans were on hand to see the double header at Comiskey Park as the Sox were closing out the worst season in franchise history.

September 21, 2015Jeff Samardzija was acquired from the A’s with the hope that the Chicago native, who grew up a White Sox fan, could be the difference in getting the team to the postseason.

His campaign though was something to forget as he struggled all year, particularly in the first inning and after the trade deadline. On this day however he pitched the finest game in his career, tossing a complete game one-hitter shutting out the Tigers 2-0 in the first game of a double header sweep.

The only hit he allowed was a bloop single off the bat of Victor Martinez in the fifth inning. He struck out six and only faced one hitter over the minimum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jeff Samardzija's trade occurred on December 9 2014. The idea of trading for a guy to get them to the postseason on September 21 makes no sense, that is after the trade deadline,.

https://www.espn.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12004547/chicago-white-sox-acquire-jeff-samardzija-trade-oakland-as

That wasn't my point. You have misinterpreted things. I know he was acquired the previous off season. The date September 21 is specifically because that was the day he threw the one-hitter. The Sox justified the deal because they wanted him to help get them to the post season. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

I was at a Sox game with my Dad back in those days when the announced attendance was something like 512 people.  If I'm not mixing up two different games, I think it was the game that Buddy Bradford playing CF, caught a ball over his head right at the Center Field fence, extended his arm over the fence, opened his mitt and the ball fell out over the fence for a home run.  I was just a kid, but I remember being so mad I told my Dad that from now on Ken Berry should be starting every game in Center Field.

Even so, that team was still more fun to watch than the 2023 White Sox.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I was at a Sox game with my Dad back in those days when the announced attendance was something like 512 people.  If I'm not mixing up two different games, I think it was the game that Buddy Bradford playing CF, caught a ball over his head right at the Center Field fence, extended his arm over the fence, opened his mitt and the ball fell out over the fence for a home run.  I was just a kid, but I remember being so mad I told my Dad that from now on Ken Berry should be starting every game in Center Field.

Even so, that team was still more fun to watch than the 2023 White Sox.

512 there was more at a HS football game than that

We've hit rock bottom

• TLR 1