Fall/Winter Ball: Week 2

Autumn Dreamin

Colson finished 3-5 with 2 HR, 4 RBI, and 3 runs scored. His 3rd HR in 24 hours has him tied for the AFL lead after a slow start.

Him and Ramos started a rally in the 9th with a single and a walk, and both eventually scored to help tie the game...But Burke was called out (on a pitch that looked pretty outside on the broadcast...) to strand the bases loaded. A couple more slightly questionable calls against them, and Glendale loses in 10. 

Cousin was fine, but does seem to get a lot of 2 strike counts that he can't put away quickly. Still, he could have finished with 0 ER if someone like Burke or Luis was in center...the ITP was pretty fieldable.

• Like 2

Unsurprisingly, Montgomery leads the list of top AFL performers yesterday.

For the first time since high school, Montgomery produced a two-homer game, and it was his first time homering in consecutive contests as a professional. The Fall League's top prospect stayed patient and fouled off pitches to get what he was looking for, resulting in a pair of no-doubters that accounted for four RBIs. Montgomery finished his day with a single in the ninth and scored three runs. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/arizona-fall-league-roundup-for-october-13

He attributed his slow start to getting his timing back after the layoff between seasons. He also talked about his two strike approach:

"I just kind of try and see the ball as deep as I can and when I got two strikes, I'm trying to be as early as I can," Montgomery said. "So if anything, I can foul off some pitches or whatever. So, and it just so happened that through breaking balls that I just caught out front and I've been trying to catch some breaking balls out front for the past week now. So it feels good to finally do that."

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-prospect-colson-montgomery-homers-twice-in-arizona-fall-league

To his point, both HRs were after fouling off a two strike pitch.

• Like 2