Fall/Winter Ball: Week 2

Autumn Dreamin

Glendale made the finals last year, and I was kind of hoping for a repeat so that Colson, Ramos, and crew could get some “playoff” experience…but after a 1-5 start in week 1, they would have a lot of catching up to do.

The pitching has been the best in AFL (2.92 team ERA, over a run better than second place) and Sox guys have done their part with that:

• Jake Eder had 3 scoreless/hitless innings in his one start and made BA’s hot sheet for the first week.
  • Jordan Leasure has made 2 appearances: 2IP, 1R (0ER), 1H 1BB, 3K
  • Fraser Ellard has also thrown twice: 2IP, 0ER, 1H, 1K
  • Adisyn Coffey: 1IP, 1ER, 1H, 1BB, 1K
  • Josimar Cousin got roughed up by the undefeated best offense (and his own defense): 2IP, 4R (3ER), BB

The Glendale offense has really struggled (.192 team AVG, .559 OPS, both league worst), and the Sox bats haven’t been much of an exception to that either. Hopefully they can pick it up this week when not up against the Jobes and Robys of the world.

The Week Ahead

Another 6 game slate for the week. Jake Eder starts again tomorrow (10/10). Only one Glendale stream this week, for tonight’s game:

Game 1: GDD vs. MSS (Gameday | Live Stream)

Burke, Montgomery, Ramos at the top of the lineup again.

• Like 3

Normally Montgomery maintains a good approach even when the hits aren't falling, but he was really pressing tonight. 4K's in a row including a couple in big spots, very visibly frustrated after each one. He has never had a 4K game before at any level, even during his 2022 cup of coffee in Birmingham.

He got a solid line drive single in his last AB though, so hopefully that gets him going. It was followed by a Ramos swinging bunt IF single and a walk to load the bases. A's reliever Jack Weisenburger had to be helped off the field after landing funny on his last pitch and the guy that replaced him stranded the runners.

Montgomery and Burke were both 1-5. Burke was 1-3 with 2 walks. No Sox arms today, but Glendale's pitching remains incredible and they win a 2-0 shutout.

The pitching coach is a Dodgers guy, so I definitely don't mind having our guys getting his insights for the next few weeks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Normally Montgomery maintains a good approach even when the hits aren't falling, but he was really pressing tonight. 4K's in a row including a couple in big spots, very visibly frustrated after each one. He has never had a 4K game before at any level, even during his 2022 cup of coffee in Birmingham.

He got a solid line drive single in his last AB though, so hopefully that gets him going. It was followed by a Ramos swinging bunt IF single and a walk to load the bases. A's reliever Jack Weisenburger had to be helped off the field after landing funny on his last pitch and the guy that replaced him stranded the runners.

Montgomery and Burke were both 1-5. Burke was 1-3 with 2 walks. No Sox arms today, but Glendale's pitching remains incredible and they win a 2-0 shutout.

The pitching coach is a Dodgers guy, so I definitely don't mind having our guys getting his insights for the next few weeks.

I believe Eder is supposed to start today.

• Like 1

Eder's almost got the reverse Dalquist.

3.1 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER (off 2 HR), 1 BB, 3 K

Dude gave up 7 hits and the only runs were on two solo shots.

Meanwhile, Burke's got 1 hit, 1 BB, 1 K, a stolen base and a run scored. Ramos has a double.

Colson's struggling. 0-3 with 2 strikeouts.

• Like 1

I wish I knew how accurate pitch location data is for games that don't have StatCast, because uh...Gameday makes it look like the ump has shrunk the zone to the size of a postage stamp, which seems like basically the only way for a team to walk 7 in a row?

Looks like literally nothing in the zone is getting called a strike unless it's swung at or right down the middle.

• Like 1

Dogs gave up as many runs tonight as they did in their previous 7 games combined...and they still have the lowest ERA in the league (4R being unearned helps).

Eder gets a tough luck loss, as only two of the 17 runs were on him (both solo shots).

Coffey was called in to get the last out of a messy 5th, but apparently didn't have it when he came back out for the 6th. Whether he was getting squeezed or not, leaving a guy in to walk 4 in a row doesn't seem particularly wise.

Burke 1-4 with a BB, SB, and run scored, Ramos 1-3 with a double, BB, and 2R scored, Colson 0-4.

• Like 1

Some notes:

I don't hate the hype, but maybe let him breathe a little... 😅 Could be why he's been pressing at the plate.

Secondly, Baseball isn't Boring had Red Sox prospect Christopher Troye on to talk AFL, and when asked to name 3 players who had impressed him, they were all White Sox: Leasure, Burke, and Montgomery. Compliments their play and personalities.

And finally, some winter ball tidbits:

• Deivi Garcia is getting some extra work in with Licey
  • Veras is still playing (and hitting!) and I think that's our Luis Reyes too
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Some notes:

I don't hate the hype, but maybe let him breathe a little... 😅 Could be why he's been pressing at the plate.

Secondly, Baseball isn't Boring had Red Sox prospect Christopher Troye on to talk AFL, and when asked to name 3 players who had impressed him, they were all White Sox: Leasure, Burke, and Montgomery. Compliments their play and personalities.

And finally, some winter ball tidbits:

• Deivi Garcia is getting some extra work in with Licey
  • Veras is still playing (and hitting!) and I think that's our Luis Reyes too

Subscribe.

• Haha 1

Troye might have a future in scouting (or motivational speaking?). The three guys he shouted out all showed out tonight:

• Colson gets the bat going, 2-4 with a HR and 3B. 2 RBI.
  • Burke had a great night too. 3-5 with a HR and 2 RBI.
  • Leasure with a perfect, 2K inning.

Here's Burke's HR: https://www.mlb.com/video/jacob-burke-s-two-run-home-run

• Like 1

I know we always talk about him and corey seager, but theres a lot of swings where I can't help but think of Kyle Tucker's. Not as pronounced a ted williams wrap-around as Tucker. Granted, production wise both are similar. Texas has certainly played up for Seager.

Cousin done after 3IP, 4H, 2ER,1BB, 1K.

Lots of weak contact, one hit was a bouncer to second that the 2B just gave up on for some reason. Both runs scored on an inside the park HR to center. It was well hit, but the CF definitely could have played it better...Burke would have. I know we're not used to this, but the Sox players are quite comfortably the best defenders on the team.

And in other news, Colson just hit ANOTHER home run.

• Like 2