30th anniversary 1994 team story...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

sort of amusing how many ways JR has figured out how to lose. oh, we're actually good this year? better create a work stoppage.

His comment to the media from his box that summer was very telling, "I'm a dove until they strike.,.."

I'm guessing he actually said it with a straight face.

• Haha 1

I was 13 that season and a huge Frank Thomas and Sox fan obviously. My dad was so down on baseball and JR but then you know as a kid it's just something that happens and you move on the next year. Not sure my dad ever regained the same passion tho. Frank and the Sox were having an amazing season, frank especially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was 13 that season and a huge Frank Thomas and Sox fan obviously. My dad was so down on baseball and JR but then you know as a kid it's just something that happens and you move on the next year. Not sure my dad ever regained the same passion tho. Frank and the Sox were having an amazing season, frank especially.

Julio Franco was too. On the flip side black jack has some struggles and ended up 10-9. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Julio Franco was too. On the flip side black jack has some struggles and ended up 10-9. 

Franco had a great year hitting behind Frank. Darrin Jackson was a solid replacement for Ellis Burks, the Sox also had a strong bench and a deep bullpen even without Scott Radinsky who missed the season.

Jack McDowell by the way started the year 2-7 so he went 8-2 in his last 10 decisions. He and Jason Bere won the critical two games in Oakland which guaranteed the Sox would finish in first place and be awarded a post season slot should a settlement have been reached in time to have the playoffs.