Atkins diet thread

sox4lifeinPA

My Aunt lost alot of weight on the Atkins Diet but ive heard it has bad longterm effects

yeah, I don't plan on using it for more than 6 weeks. I lost 30 lbs 2 years ago with it, but gained some of it back due to my current state of living arrangments.

It's really good discipline though, and I take multivitamins to get all the goods I need and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. So I'll be alright I think.

Man, you lost 30 pounds that fast?  What did you eat? Dirt?

the body's energy is the carbohydrate. When you stop ingesting them, it looks for the next best thing...fat. I was excersing and pretty much starving myself.....wasn't pretty, but it was affective.

Ya don't know the first thing about losing weight. This is a silly diet. It's called eating healthy. All fats are not bad, as everyone believes. You say ya work out 2-3 times a week. Try working out 5 times a week, and atleast running one of your days off. You will lose more weight that way. Drink alot of water. Also no food after 8ish. Eat three meals aday, don't skip any meals. It is better to eat small amounts all day, then to just pile it on in one meal. Have oatmeal for breakfest, that is very good for ya and fills ya up. Quanity is also a huge thing. Just because you are eating one type of food, don't stuff yourself full.

breakfast- 2 egg, cheese, and a slice of ham. crystal light grapefruit drink. multi-vitamin.

lunch- some kind of salad including chicken...need the protein. sugar-free jello. and bowl of mixed nuts...repeat crystal light drink.

dinner- chicken, beef, or pork dish. more nuts. garden salad.

cheese slices for snacks.

yeah...I know it sucks

breakfast- 2 egg, cheese, and a slice of ham. crystal light grapefruit drink. multi-vitamin.

lunch- some kind of salad including chicken...need the protein. sugar-free jello. and bowl of mixed nuts...repeat crystal light drink.

yeah...I know it sucks

Nuts have alot of fat too.

Ya think that sucks. I get celery, water, an apple, and carrots when I am cutting weight, now that sucks.

I didn't see cheese too, wow, ya won't lose much if ya don't porportion correctly.

yeah...I know it sucks

Hmm, interesting...never went on the Atkins diet...don't really need to lose any weight cause I'm perfect :D

but some Q's anyway....

1. Do you eat that same thing everyday..besides dinner where you might switch from chicken, beef, or pork..and do you season the meat? Or you just eat a plain hamburger patty or whatever..

2. Do you drink just that grapefruit drink? What do ya drink for dinner? and how much water do ya drink a day?

and when I was on a diet a few years ago, I chewed on celery sticks during the night to kinda help out with the hunger pangs...and drinking lots of water makes you full...and make it ice water..makes the body work harder, burning more calories..

I drink a whole lot of water and occassionally I'll have a diet coke at lunch or dinner. if you want variety, I change up the cheese, or salad dressing...haha. As long as there's no sugar in the thing you're eating, then you can go ahead and eat it. Tonight I had a double cheese burger at the Chicken Oil Co. sans the bun.

I'm miserable most of the time as you might notice:) :bang :lolhitting

Lol, so no bread or anything of the sort?  Do you eat no carbs at all or what?

there are some carbs in the peanut butter...oh yeah forgot to mention that fun snack. There's some in the dressings and vegetables. Just stay below 30 carbs a day and you're ok.

there are about 40 in a can of coke....just so you know:)

Man, that must be pretty tough.  I was thinking about oding something like this to  lose a few pounds but don't know whats good and what isn't.  Maybe you can help me out.  :D

ask me anything about the diet...I know a bunch about it. I wouldn't do it for longer than 4-6 weeks. It's really not a healthy thing. Mostly it helps you gain discipline and watch the things you eat. by week 3-4 you re-introduce some carbs. like a sandwich or something

Well, can you tell me the basics.  What foods are good to eat, which to avoid, how long to do it for just to lose a small amount of weight 10-15 pounds at the most, tips.  Things like that would be awesome.  Thanks.

two weeks and you'll lose 10-15 pounds.

the first week you definitely have to stick to it. (I wouldn't necessarily exercise during this period...your body gets goes crazy, but def. during after that)

vegetables, but not carrots are good.

sugar free jello

mixed SALTED nuts, but not flavored or sugared, are great for a snack.

I have a great breakfast that you can either make omlets or bacon or sausage. just no cereals or grain based breakfast stuff.

no breads, no rice, wheat or flour

Salads with chicken on them are good for lunches, cos you're getting good nourishment.

If you plan on doing this for a while, like 2-4 weeks(which you should) then get some multi-vitamins, cos you don't want to miss any nutrients

cheese is a great snack, as is peanut butter...just not together

they have sugar free yogurt, which is gross if you never had it, but it grows on you.

sugar free drinks, like diet sodas are alright. but at the stores they have sugar free flavored water which I drank for like 3 weeks straight and it really helped.

dinners will consist of bunless burgers, pork chops, chicken dishes, and steaks. which is usually great tasting. just stay away from pastas...they're the worst.

if you can get through a couple weeks of that and not cheat, and that's the essential part, you can't cheat this or it doesn't work. Just pace yourself and have some will power and you'll be alright. Drink alot of liqueds and don't stare at sweets for too long:)

good luck!

Lol, thanks.  I will give this a try and see if I can do it at all :)

you have to go into knowing you'll do it. It seriously a psychological test of sheer will. someone bought cupcakes and left them on the freakin counter at home yesterday....I almost died....seriously

there are some carbs in the peanut butter...oh yeah forgot to mention that fun snack. There's some in the dressings and vegetables. Just stay below 30 carbs a day and you're ok.

there are about 40 in a can of coke....just so you know:)

How much peanut butter do you eat?

you have to go into knowing you'll do it. It seriously a psychological test of sheer will. someone bought cupcakes and left them on the freakin counter at home yesterday....I almost died....seriously

Jeez, it seems like torture going through this diet...lol

how the hell do ya sleep at night? I would think all your brain is thinkin about is food, so you stay awake..