New Colon Rumor

Chisoxfn

I woke up this morning to the sounds of ESPN Radio and they were talking that a Bartolo Colon to Florida deal is the latest possibility and that they are discussing a package that will include Brad Penny and most likely a couple prospects.

If thats indeed true, then its going to cost the Sox a decent amount to outbid Florida. I still think we could do it, without giving up one of our key guys.

Malone, West, and an infield prospect or throw in Josh Stewart.

I woke up this morning to the sounds of ESPN Radio and they were talking that a Bartolo Colon to Florida deal is the latest possibility and that they are discussing a package that will include Brad Penny and most likely a couple prospects.

If thats indeed true, then its going to cost the Sox a decent amount to outbid Florida.  I still think we could do it, without giving up one of our key guys.

To outbid the Marlins' offer of Penny, the Sox will have to offer up someone who the Expos can plug into their rotation this year. That means Biddle, Garland, Rauch or Wright.

If thats indeed true, then its going to cost the Sox a decent amount to outbid Florida.  I still think we could do it, without giving up one of our key guys.

Dude you seriously need to give it up. We are NOT getting Colon, what makes you think a team that does nothing to improve itself all offseason or nothing to improve itself almost ever will just wake up all of the sudden and go get Colon. Give it up, NO COLON TO THE SOX.

The deal seems like:

Colon to FL, Reds Minor Leaguer

Penny to CIN

Expos get Adrian Gonzalez, Blaine Neal, Don Levinsky

I have doubts already, because Don Levinksy doesn't even register from Baseball America.

But, Gonzalez, Neal, and Levinsky would be the equivalent of Borchard, Sanders, Bum for Colon and a Bum.

If thats indeed true, then its going to cost the Sox a decent amount to outbid Florida.  I still think we could do it, without giving up one of our key guys.

Dude you seriously need to give it up. We are NOT getting Colon, what makes you think a team that does nothing to improve itself all offseason or nothing to improve itself almost ever will just wake up all of the sudden and go get Colon. Give it up, NO COLON TO THE SOX.

It's like battered wives syndrome. I know that there is no way the KW is going to make a decent trade but I can't help hoping anyway. :huh:

If thats indeed true, then its going to cost the Sox a decent amount to outbid Florida.  I still think we could do it, without giving up one of our key guys.

Couldn't have said it any better myself Kempers. This Organization is a joke.

I'd laugh my ass off if KW does actually make a deal for Colon. I'm sure all you hatter you still find a way to rip him.

Hypothetically..... if KW did trade a Todd Ritchie or a Jim Parque straight-up for a Bartolo Colon..... I'd give him his props. But 1.) that will never happen and 2.) KW trading for Colon will likely result in us STILL getting the s***ty end of the stick PLUS paying for one or more of our players-traded remaining salaries. So..... YOU'RE RIGHT! I'D STILL f***ING RIP HIM! One possibly good trade doesn't make up for all the damage, IMHO, that Kenny the Asshole has done.

One possibly good trade doesn't make up for all the damage, IMHO, that Kenny the Asshole has done.

Unless that move plays a big part in bringing us a pennant or World Series win.

But who would this idiot give up in an attempt to bring "us a pennant or World Series win?" KW is in way over his head. It frightens me to think what KW would be willing to give up to land a Colon.

I think he's smartened up a bit. He's not a baseball genius like Billy Beane, but he's definately not as stupid as Al Baird or Gord Ash(or Doug Melvin for that matter....signing Royce Clayton puts him in that category). He's a less than good GM....but he is starting to see the big picture. Trading Foulke, a guy we were obviously not going to keep, for a guy in Koch is a decent move....he's still in the habit of trading a closer for a closer or a starter for a starter, but he'll get over that eventually(but if he doesn't do it within the next year, I hope he's doing it with someone else). I wouldn't be surprised to see him give up a real good prospect, say Malone or Diaz, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him give up a guy that is just a decent pitcher, say, Biddle.

I think that the trade that Montreal would suck up and practically accept immediately would be Biddle, Glover and Liefer....they get a good starting pitcher/bullpen pitcher, a good reliever and a possible good/bad 1Bman/OFer. We get Colon, who helps us instantly, and we don't lose much, or nothing that will hurt us badly in the long run(Glover will be a pretty good reliever eventually, but Almonte can't be much worse, and if he is, we still have a few others, say, Jon Adkins, Franklin Francisco, or Felix Diaz could be used out of the pen.....and using Diaz out of the pen could actually be better for him in the long run, as it would decrease the possibility of him getting injured. Biddle will be a decent starter someday, and Liefer may or may not be anything in his career.

We don't lose much depth off our bench and we don't lose much from anywhere else. We then have 4 guys that fit Phil Rogers' stat of 30/190, which is a pretty good equation, along with Jon Rauch, who could be a ROY candiate this year.

We'll just have to wait and see. Odds are, we shouldn't listen to a damn word anyone says on the Colon situation, especially him coming to the Sox...unless we're talking about the Red Sox :D

I think he's smartened up a bit.  He's not a baseball genius like Billy Beane, but he's definately not as stupid as Al Baird or Gord Ash(or Doug Melvin for that matter....signing Royce Clayton puts him in that category).  He's a less than good GM....but he is starting to see the big picture.  Trading Foulke, a guy we were obviously not going to keep, for a guy in Koch is a decent move....he's still in the habit of trading a closer for a closer or a starter for a starter, but he'll get over that eventually(but if he doesn't do it within the next year, I hope he's doing it with someone else).  I wouldn't be surprised to see him give up a real good prospect, say Malone or Diaz, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him give up a guy that is just a decent pitcher, say, Biddle.

I think that the trade that Montreal would suck up and practically accept immediately would be Biddle, Glover and Liefer....they get a good starting pitcher/bullpen pitcher, a good reliever and a possible good/bad 1Bman/OFer.  We get Colon, who helps us instantly, and we don't lose much, or nothing that will hurt us badly in the long run(Glover will be a pretty good reliever eventually, but Almonte can't be much worse, and if he is, we still have a few others, say, Jon Adkins, Franklin Francisco, or Felix Diaz could be used out of the pen.....and using Diaz out of the pen could actually be better for him in the long run, as it would decrease the possibility of him getting injured.  Biddle will be a decent starter someday, and Liefer may or may not be anything in his career. 

We don't lose much depth off our bench and we don't lose much from anywhere else.  We then have 4 guys that fit Phil Rogers' stat of 30/190, which is a pretty good equation, along with Jon Rauch, who could be a ROY candiate this year.

We'll just have to wait and see.  Odds are, we shouldn't listen to a damn word anyone says on the Colon situation, especially him coming to the Sox...unless we're talking about the Red Sox :D

I'd make that trade if I were KW.

According to mlb.com it does not look like Colon will be heading to Florida. So we still have a chance. Even if we are very LUCKY and get Colon, I would also look at sigining Rick Helling. Nobody seems to talk about him, but he is a pretty decent pitcher who eats up alot of innings.

According to mlb.com it does not look like Colon will be heading to Florida. So we still have a chance. Even if we are very LUCKY and get Colon, I would also look at sigining Rick Helling. Nobody seems to talk about him, but he is a pretty decent pitcher who eats up alot of innings.

Helling would be a sweet pickup if the Sox were to deal Wright in the Colon deal, then they'd be able to pick up another back of the end guy.

I guess the Expos don't want Brad Penny, that or their just wasn't much truth to the rumor. It doesn't make sense to me.

I guess the Expos don't want Brad Penny, that or their just wasn't much truth to the rumor.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I think the rumor is true, just waiting on the health reports. Once again I will state that nobody knows what is goign on except for the GM's.